Car Rental in Macedonia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Macedonia?
Macedonia is a wonderful country to visit by car. Small, yet varied, it offers everything from modern cities to ancient sites, majestic mountains, and rich wildlife. Having your own ride is the best bet to see all of it.
One-way Car Rentals in Macedonia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Macedonia and drop off in another country:
- From North Macedonia to Kosovo - 99 offers from US$ 22.77 per day
- From North Macedonia to Albania - 34 offers from US$ 37.07 per day
- From North Macedonia to Montenegro - 48 offers from US$ 41.87 per day
- From North Macedonia to Bulgaria - 19 offers from US$ 59.90 per day
Top ways to enter North Macedonia
- Skopje Airport: Macedonia’s main airport, also known as Petrovec Airport, hosts flights to and from many destinations in Europe and the Middle East. Low-cost carrier Wizz Air is the most active airline.
- Ohrid Airport: Located next to the city and the lake of the same name, Ohrid Airport is mostly active during summers when it offers flights to Istanbul, Vienna, London, Tel Aviv, and more than 10 other destinations.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Macedonia. Some large international airports near Macedonia are Thessaloniki Airport in Greece, Sofia Airport in Bulgaria, and Tirana Airport in Albania.
Top cities and places to visit
- Skopje: Home to many historic landmarks, Macedonia’s capital is also its main cultural, finance, and entertainment hub.
- Ohrid and Lake Ohrid: A UNESCO World Heritage site, Ohrid is one of Macedonia’s oldest places, first mentioned by the Ancient Greeks. Lake Ohrid, the most biodiverse inland lake on Earth, is sometimes called the Balkan Galapagos for a reason - it is teeming with unique flora and fauna.
- Bitola: Macedonia’s second city combines its Roman and Ottoman heritage with modern architecture and way of life, and is the main access point for the country’s south.
- Kruševo: Even higher in the mountains than most other Macedonian cities, Kruševo rightfully boasts about its historical significance, but doesn’t forget to entertain you as it offers great skiing and snowboarding opportunities in winter.
- The national parks: Wild yet accessible, nature reserves like Galičica National Park, Mavrovo National Park, and Pelister National Park are the best places to learn about and experience Macedonia’s nature.
Most popular rental car
The most picked rental car in Macedonia is the VW Polo, but the Skoda Fabia and the Volkswagen Up are also very popular among travelers.
Macedonia is bordered by Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and Albania. Each of Macedonia’s five neighbors have their own visa policy, so, depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter each country. We strongly advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs beforehand to learn about whether you’ll need a visa to enter any of Macedonia’s neighbors. Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, while neither Macedonia nor its other neighbors are part of it.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Macedonia is Economy, followed by Mini and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Skopje - Dubrovnik (508 km / 316 mi) In additional to its fascinating history, Croatian city of Dubrovnik is one of the top beach destinations in Europe. Note that, depending on your chosen route, you’ll have to cross two or three national borders, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it. Also, make sure if you need a visa to visit Croatia and any of the countries that you will have to pass on the way there.
- Ohrid - Thessaloniki (289 km / 179 mi) The second city of Greece on the Aegean coast can be reached in just a few hours. The drive will take you through fascinating areas of Macedonia like the Pelister National Park and Bitola, as well as Greek towns Ptolemaida and Veria, both worthy destinations in their own right. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it. Unlike Macedonia, Greece is a member state of the Schengen Area and, depending on your citizenship, you might need a visa to visit.
- Skopje - Pristina (91 km / 56 mi) The capital of Kosovo is less than two hours drive north from Skopje. One of the up-and-coming travel destinations of Europe, Kosovo is a fascinating place to discover. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it. Also, make sure whether the citizens of your country need a visa to visit Kosovo.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $40 per day
- Large cars - from $46 per day
- Medium cars - from $32 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $57 per day
- Premium cars - from $55 per day
- Small cars - from $20 per day
- SUVs - from $58 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Macedonia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Macedonia is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 28% cheaper than the yearly average and about 69% cheaper than in July. Macedonia is charming in winter, too!
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Macedonia?
What’s the average rental length in Macedonia?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Macedonia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Surprice||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Opel Corsa||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Skoda Rapid||4||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Golf 7 Aut.||5||2||Medium cars|
|Enterprise||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Suzuki Alto||4||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Opel Astra||4||2||Large cars|
|Surprice||Ford Focus STW||5||3||Large cars|