Car Rental in Macedonia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Macedonia?
North Macedonia is a wonderful country to visit by car. Small, yet varied, it offers everything from modern cities to ancient sites, majestic mountains, and rich wildlife. Having your own ride is the best bet to see all of it.
One-way Car Rentals in Macedonia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Macedonia and drop off in another country:
- From North Macedonia to Kosovo - 99 offers from $20.27 per day
- From North Macedonia to Albania - 34 offers from $33.00 per day
- From North Macedonia to Montenegro - 48 offers from $37.27 per day
- From North Macedonia to Bulgaria - 19 offers from $53.33 per day
Top ways to enter North Macedonia
- Skopje Airport: North Macedonia’s main airport, also known as Petrovec Airport, hosts flights to and from many destinations in Europe and the Middle East. Low-cost carrier Wizz Air is the most active airline.
- Ohrid Airport: Located next to the city and the lake of the same name, Ohrid Airport is mostly active during summers when it offers flights to Istanbul, Vienna, London, Tel Aviv, and more than 10 other destinations.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to North Macedonia. Some large international airports near North Macedonia are Thessaloniki Airport in Greece, Sofia Airport in Bulgaria, and Tirana Airport in Albania.
Top cities and places to visit
- Lake Ohrid. Sometimes called the Galapagos of the Balkans, Lake Ohrid is teeming with unique flora and fauna (it has been called the most biodiverse lake on the planet). Whether you explore the area by hiking, taking a boat ride, or marveling at ancient sites in the city of Ohrid, you’re in for a treat.
- Skopje. The country’s capital is also the location of its busiest airport, as well as its main finance and entertainment hub. While the city is sometimes overlooked in favor of natural attractions like Lake Ohrid and the mountains, Skopje has plenty to excite you if you know where to look. In addition to architectural landmarks like Skopje Fortress, there’s also a surprisingly diverse culture and cuisine.
- Kruševo. Located even higher in the mountains than most other North Macedonian cities, Kruševo is a historical and architectural gem. There are plenty of landmarks like the Church of St. John, but even regular houses in this southwestern city are often notably distinct. In addition to that, the city is also rich in museums and becomes a snowboarding destination every winter.
Most popular rental car
The most picked rental car in North Macedonia is the VW Polo, but the Skoda Fabia and the Volkswagen Up are also very popular among travelers.
Driver's license requirements
- North Macedonia only recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses printed in either Latin or Slavic alphabet, provided that you are visiting for a short period of time. If you’re residing in the country permanently, you are required to obtain the local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is printed in another alphabet (e.g., Arabic or Chinese), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you also need to keep your original license on you as you might be required to provide both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
North Macedonia is bordered by Kosovo, Serbia, Bulgaria, Greece, and Albania. Each of North Macedonia’s five neighbors have their own visa policy, so, depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter each country. We strongly advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs beforehand to learn about whether you’ll need a visa to enter any of North Macedonia’s neighbors. Greece is a member of the Schengen Area, while neither North Macedonia nor its other neighbors are part of it.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in North Macedonia is Economy, followed by Mini and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Mavrovo National Park. The largest in the country and home to its highest peak, Mavrovo is an objectively impressive place to visit. In addition to natural riches, the park is home to historical attractions such as the submerged St. Nicholas Church that becomes visible every summer when the water levels drop. Located near the borders of Kosovo and Albania, the national park is a 90-minute drive southwest of Skopje and only slightly farther north of Ohrid, making it a popular day-trip destination from both cities.
- Prespa Lakes. As magnificent as Ohrid is, it is by no means the only impressive lake in North Macedonia. Located about an hour’s drive south of Ohrid is the Great Prespa Lake which is shared with Albania and Greece (there is also the Small Prespa Lake which is fully within Greece). The scenic body of water is surrounded by ancient monasteries and two national parks, making it a fascinating place to visit.
- Eastern North Macedonia. Yet to be discovered by foreign tourists, the most enigmatic part of North Macedonia can be a very interesting place to visit if you give it a chance. Bordered by Bulgaria and Serbia, the region boasts ancient sites like the megalithic prehistoric observatory in Staro Nagoričane, wild nature areas, and plenty of hospitality.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $15 per day
- Large cars - from $17 per day
- Medium cars - from $16 per day
- Vans - from $58 per day
- Premium cars - from $159 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $18 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in North Macedonia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting North Macedonia is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 28% cheaper than the yearly average and about 69% cheaper than in July. North Macedonia is charming in winter, too!
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Macedonia?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Macedonia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Macedonia?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||Carwiz, Alfa Rent A Car, Interways, Surprice, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$12 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Carwiz||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Dacia Sandero||5||2||Small cars|
|Interways||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Skoda Fabia STW||5||1||Station wagons|
|Surprice||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Peugeot 308||5||2||Medium cars|
|Alfa Rent A Car||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||5||1||Small cars|
|Alfa Rent A Car||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.