Car Rental in Ireland
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ireland?
The Republic of Ireland is a great place to rent a car in. From cities like Dublin, Cork, and Galway to cozy villages, long sea coast, and beautiful nature areas, its great diversity is best explored with the freedom of having your own ride.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Ireland, don't miss our complete guide.
One-way Car Rentals in Ireland
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Ireland and drop off in another country:
- From Ireland to United Kingdom - 155 offers from $39.61 per day
Top ways to enter Ireland
- Dublin Airport: Ireland’s largest airport serves flights to and from many destinations in Europe, as well as in North America, Asia, and Africa.
- Knock Airport: Popular with low-cost carriers, Knock Airport is an entry point for Northwest Ireland.
Cork Airport: The airport of Ireland’s second city mainly hosts flights to and from United Kingdom and Western Europe.
- By land: It might also be possible to rent a car in Northern Ireland, part of the United Kingdom, and then drive to Republic of Ireland. Large airports in United Kingdom near Republic of Ireland are Belfast International Airport, Belfast City Airport, and Derry Airport.
Top cities and places to visit
- Dublin. The capital of Ireland is also one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations. While it would be impossible to list all of its landmarks, a visit to the Dublin Writers’ Museum, one of the branches of the National Museum, or the Viking World would be a highlight of any trip.
- Galway. Located on the west coast, Galway is the favorite Irish city of many foreign visitors. Known for its colorful architecture and busy nightlife, it is also one of the centers of the Irish Gaelic culture and a place where the native tongue can still be frequently heard on the streets.
- Cork. Located in the south of the country, Cork is a lovely place to visit. As fiercely independent as it is hospitable, it is known for its impressive historical heritage (emphasized by landmarks like Elizabeth Fort), as well as great pub culture.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Republic of Ireland is the VW Polo, followed by the Toyota Corolla and the Ford Fiesta.
Driver license requirements
- Ireland recognizes driver’s licenses from all the member states of the European Union (EU) and the European Economic Area (EEA) as long as they are valid.
- Other licenses in the Latin alphabet are generally also recognized, provided that you have been in Ireland for no longer than 12 months. (Drivers who have been in the country for longer than this period are required to obtain a local license instead).
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you must also have your original license with you at all times.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
The Republic of Ireland is bordered by Northern Ireland which is part of the United Kingdom. As of June 2021, both countries are part of the Common Travel Area, and border control is not enforced. Citizens of the member states of the European Economic Area, as well as many other western countries, can enter both countries without a visa.
Citizens of some other countries may be permitted to visit the Republic of Ireland, but might need a separate visa to visit the United Kingdom or vice versa. We advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out whether you need a visa to visit either the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom.
Citizens of China and India are an exception and can use their Irish visa to also visit the United Kingdom.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country (it is very possible to travel between Dublin and Belfast in a rental car). You can find those providers by entering your car pick-up and drop-off locations on our search. If you’d like to cross an international border during your rental, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car.
Learn more about cross-border rentals in our Help Center.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Ireland is an Intermediate, but Compact and Economy are also frequently picked by travelers.
Top driving routes
- Wicklow Mountains National Park. Located just a relatively short drive south of Dublin, Wicklow Mountains is one of the most popular destinations for a day trip from the capital. The area is known not just for its scenic nature, but also historical heritage like the 1,500-year-old monasteries of Glendalough, for example.
- Aran Islands. Known for their barren, hauntingly beautiful landscapes, these three small islands off the West coast of Ireland are among the most unique destinations of Ireland. Inhabited since prehistory, they are known for sites like the 3,000-year-old stone fort of Dún Aonghasa. The islands cannot be accessed by car, but you can take a ferry from either Rossaveel or Doolin; the former is about a 45-minute drive west of Galway.
- The Northwest. An off-the-beaten-path destination, the northwestern part of Ireland remains a mystery even to many Irish. You won’t find big cities here, but the region more than makes up for it with beautiful lakes and forests, remote mountain ranges, and a noticeably slower, more relaxed pace of life.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $267 per day
- Large cars - from $58 per day
- Medium cars - from $44 per day
- Vans - from $196 per day
- Premium cars - from $292 per day
- Small cars - from $38 per day
- SUVs - from $59 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Ireland:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Republic of Ireland is the cheapest in January when renting a car is nearly 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 19 Most Popular Cities in Ireland
Car Rental in Dublin from $14.45 per day
Car Rental in Cork from $12.94 per day
Car Rental in Shannon from $12.94 per day
Car Rental in Knock from $14.45 per day
Car Rental in Kerry from $14.45 per day
Car Rental in Galway from $28.62 per day
Car Rental in Limerick from $47.24 per day
Car Rental in Wexford from $17.39 per day
Car Rental in Donegal from $38.07 per day
Car Rental in Waterford from $14.69 per day
Car Rental in Sligo from $14.69 per day
Car Rental in Naas from $14.69 per day
Car Rental in Athlone from $28.62 per day
Car Rental in Tralee from $47.24 per day
Car Rental in Letterkenny from $47.24 per day
Car Rental in Cavan from $14.69 per day
Car Rental in Navan from $14.69 per day
Car Rental in Kilkenny from $14.69 per day
Top 7 Most Popular Locations in Ireland
Car Rental at Dublin Airport from $12.94 per day
Car Rental at Cork Airport from $12.94 per day
Car Rental at Shannon Airport from $12.94 per day
Car Rental at Knock Airport from $14.45 per day
Car Rental at Kerry Airport from $14.45 per day
Car Rental at Donegal Airport from $38.07 per day
Car Rental at Limerick City Ennis Road from $17.39 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ireland?
What’s the average rental length in Ireland?
What's the most popular time of year to rent a car in Ireland?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Budget||Renault Clio||4||2||Medium cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Budget||Volkswagen Polo||3||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Skoda Citigo||4||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris Aut.||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Toyota Corolla||5||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.