Car Rental in Paris
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Paris?
Paris is a great destination to explore by car. Having your own ride will not only let you visit the famous landmarks inside the city, but, more importantly, will give you the freedom to travel to interesting destinations in the city’s vicinity and further afar.
One-Way Car Rentals in Paris
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Paris and drop off in another city include:
- From Paris to Lyon - 261 offers from $29.48 per day
- From Paris to Marseille - 85 offers from $29.48 per day
- From Paris to Bordeaux - 136 offers from $33.94 per day
- From Paris to Amsterdam - 40 offers from $180.51 per day
- From Paris to Lille - 75 offers from $41.72 per day
Top ways to enter Paris
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport: One of the busiest airports in Europe, Paris Charles De Gaulle hosts flights to and from all continents of the planet.
- Paris Orly Airport: Located south of the city center, Orly Airport connects Paris to both many exotic destinations and large cities of Europe.
- Beauvais Airport: Although Beauvais Airport is about two hours drive from Paris, it nonetheless offers great way to reach the city as it is popular with many low-cost carriers.
- By public transportation: If you’re arriving to Paris, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at Gare de Lyon Railway Station, Gare du Nord Railway Station, Gare Montparnasse Railway Station, or Gare de l’Est Railway Station.
- Largest city in the European Union (EU) by urban population, Paris is also among the world’s most visited cities when it comes to international tourists.
- The climate in Paris is maritime, and the city usually has mild, but cool winters and warm summers. There is more precipitation than along the French Mediterranean Coast and rain showers are not uncommon.
Top destinations and activities
- Eiffel Tower. Loved by travelers even more than the locals, the Eiffel Tower is arguably the city’s most famous landmark. Do keep in mind that waiting times to visit the top floor can be up to a couple of hours. Book your tickets in advance to avoid such inconvenience.
- Notre Dame Cathedral. Perhaps the most famous church in the world, this Gothic cathedral is one of the first things that come to mind when most people think of Paris. Even after a great fire endangered the Cathedral in 2019, it is a must-see in Paris. The surroundings, the oldest part of Paris located on l’ïle de la Cité (City Island), is also a great area to walk around with many other spots to visit.
- Louvre. The largest art museum in the world, the Louvre is arguably also the most famous one. The museum had almost 10 million visitors in 2019, so it can get a bit crowded sometimes, especially near the most famous pieces of art like the Mona Lisa, but visiting it is still one of the highlights of any trip to Paris. Visiting the museum’s comprehensive website will let you plan your visit in advance — it’s really impossible to see all of the Louvre in one take, so looking up exhibits that interest you the most is a good idea.
- Centre Pompidou. Paris is home not just to a wealth of classical buildings, but also to some of the most daring futuristic architecture imaginable. Exhibit A for this is the Pompidou Center, a structuralist complex in the city’s 4th arrondissement. An attraction in itself, it houses the National Museum of Modern Art and is also where individual exhibitions of the works of world-famous artists are frequently held.
- National Museum of Natural History. The head of a large and fascinating network, the National History Museum is dedicated to topics like ecology, geology, and paleontology. The main museum is in the Jardin des Plantes botanical garden in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, but it is also affiliated with the Paris Zoological Park, Museum of Mankind, and many other institutions across Paris. Visit the network’s official website to learn more.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limit in cities is 50 km/h, although a major part of Paris is limited to 30km/h. Unlike inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by weather.
- Outside cities, as of July 2018 the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130 km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110 km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90 km/h. During the rain the limits are respectively lowered to 110 km/h, 100 km/h, and 80 km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50 km/h during heavy fog or other cases of bad visibility.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2015, mobile phone use while driving is strictly regulated. Holding a mobile phone in hand while driving is prohibited, as well as wearing any device in one’s ear (except a medical device). Fines are hefty. If you are involved in a car accident without respecting the above restrictions, you may face the suspension of your driver’s license.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with letter A and you can recognize them by a blue sign. The fare for taking a toll road depends on the specific route, the distance length, as well as the type of your vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by a credit card or by cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transporters and can use the automatic toll road payment booths (Télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transporters.
See the official French toll road website for more information. Use the website's toll road calculator to find out exactly how much you’ll have to pay for using the toll roads on your planned route.
Ideas for day trips
For more about traveling around France with a rental car, check out our complete guide.
- Versailles. Located south of Paris city center, Versailles is the location of the Sun King Louis XIV’s famous palace and gardens. Many other historical buildings in the city are also well worth a visit.
- The Loire Valley. While it takes about two hours drive south to reach it, the famous wine-making area along the river Loire is very much worth a visit thanks to its beautiful Renaissance castles, charming villages, and historically important cities like Blois and Orléans. Burgundy, about two hours east of Paris, is another worthy wine destination.
- Lille. Although probably the coldest and most rainy place in France, this once-industrial hub is a great destination to visit thanks to its atmosphere, its great culture and arts scene, and its local culinary specialties.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in France is the Renault Twingo, followed by the Volkswagen Polo and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact and mini.
- Belgium. Just a few hours drive north, Belgium can be a surprisingly rewarding travel destination, not only because of Brussels, but also other beautiful cities like Antwerp, Ghent, Bruges, and Liège.
- Brittany. The westernmost part of France is a relaxing and beautiful destination thanks to its medieval cities, pristine nature, and long Atlantic Coast.
Car Rental Prices in Paris
- Convertibles - from $40 per day
- Station wagons - from $103 per day
- Large cars - from $92 per day
- Medium cars - from $73 per day
- Vans - from $123 per day
- Premium cars - from $125 per day
- Small cars - from $57 per day
- SUVs - from $128 per day
There are things you can do to get a great rental car deal in Paris:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Paris is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 40% cheaper than the yearly average and about 57% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 20 Cities near Paris
Marseille Car Rentals from $29.36 per day652.7 km / 405.6 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $31.74 per day693.6 km / 431.0 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $22.67 per day412.0 km / 256.0 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $10.24 per day526.4 km / 327.1 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $21.29 per day604.5 km / 375.6 miles away
Nantes Car Rentals from $41.37 per day371.0 km / 230.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $30.92 per day613.1 km / 380.9 miles away
Lille Car Rentals from $37.62 per day184.9 km / 114.9 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $43.47 per day58.7 km / 36.5 miles away
Avignon Car Rentals from $37.62 per day590.2 km / 366.7 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $55.11 per day376.4 km / 233.9 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $30.37 per day691.2 km / 429.5 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $42.44 per day697.5 km / 433.4 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $56.54 per day978.8 km / 608.2 miles away
Cannes Car Rentals from $56.68 per day697.3 km / 433.3 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $49.14 per day648.6 km / 403.0 miles away
Rennes Car Rentals from $34.26 per day331.8 km / 206.2 miles away
Caen Car Rentals from $44.87 per day211.6 km / 131.5 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $38.05 per day713.4 km / 443.3 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $59.43 per day365.7 km / 227.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Paris
Paris Porte Maillot Car Rentals from $43.90 per day3.8 km / 2.4 miles away
Paris-Gare de Lyon Train Station Car Rentals from $47.02 per day4.1 km / 2.6 miles away
Paris Velizy Villacoublay Car Rentals from $66.67 per day13.5 km / 8.4 miles away
Paris Orly Airport Car Rentals from $40.25 per day16.6 km / 10.3 miles away
Paris Orly Airport South Car Rentals from $58.45 per day16.6 km / 10.3 miles away
Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport Car Rentals from $43.48 per day22.3 km / 13.8 miles away
Paris Pontoise Car Rentals from $25.53 per day26.3 km / 16.4 miles away
Paris Evry Car Rentals from $30.90 per day27.9 km / 17.3 miles away
Paris Disneyland Car Rentals from $65.48 per day33.7 km / 20.9 miles away
Beauvais–Tillé Airport Car Rentals from $43.47 per day67.0 km / 41.6 miles away
Rouen Train Station Car Rentals from $53.10 per day110.7 km / 68.8 miles away
Reims Train Station Car Rentals from $59.43 per day130.8 km / 81.3 miles away
Lille Airport Car Rentals from $31.38 per day196.1 km / 121.8 miles away
Caen Train Station Car Rentals from $44.87 per day198.3 km / 123.2 miles away
Lille Europe Train Station Car Rentals from $37.56 per day204.0 km / 126.7 miles away
Caen Airport Car Rentals from $37.62 per day205.6 km / 127.7 miles away
Calais Ferry Port Car Rentals from $37.62 per day235.6 km / 146.4 miles away
Dijon Train Station Car Rentals from $34.59 per day263.8 km / 163.9 miles away
Angers Train Station Car Rentals from $43.67 per day265.0 km / 164.7 miles away
Louvigny Railway station Car Rentals from $54.65 per day280.7 km / 174.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Paris?
What’s the usual rental length in Paris?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Paris?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||41|
|Popular suppliers||Alamo, Keddy, SIXT, Enterprise, RentScape|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, Large cars, SUVs|
|Lowest price||$26 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Keddy||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Fiat 500X||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|RentScape||Peugeot 208||5||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|Keddy||Hyundai Tucson||4||3||Large cars|
|RentScape||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Citroen C3 Aircross||5||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.