Car Rental at Punta Arenas Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
Not just a jumping-off point for trips to relatively nearby Antarctica (although it is that, too), Punta Arenas is one of Chile’s most interesting destinations. The main draw of this southernmost of cities is the beautiful nature that surrounds it, but there’s also plenty of culture and history if you scratch beneath the surface. These are three of the most interesting attractions in and around Punta Arenas:
- Punta Arenas. It might be odd to name the city itself as one of the attractions in the area, but with most visitors taking straight off for the stunning nature that surrounds it, it is perhaps a point that’s worth remembering. There are many interesting things to see in Punta Arenas, such as the Maggiorino Borgatello Museum dedicated to the indigenous Chilean cultures of the area, the Naval and Maritime Museum, and the city’s small, but beautiful cathedral. To get a view of the colorful city and the Magellan Strait from above, head to Cerro de la Cruz, a lookout point just a quick walk from the center. If you’re done driving for the day, you can treat yourself with a visit to Cerveceria Austral which claims to be the southernmost beer brewery in the world.
- Penguins. Yes, penguins are one of the main attractions of Punta Arenas. The area around the town and Chilean Patagonia, in general, is famous for its opportunities for penguin-watching. Some of the best-known colonies of the flightless birds reside in the inlet of Seno Otway (about a 45-minute drive to the northwest of Punta Arenas) and on Isla Magdalena Penguinera (you have to take a ferry from the area of Punta Arenas known as Tres Puentes; the boat ride takes about two hours each way). Sadly, global warming and other environmental factors have affected the penguin colonies, so over the last five years, their numbers have been reduced, and often they cannot be found at their usual sites. The most responsible way not to disturb the birds — and the surest way to find them — is to join one of the penguin-watching tours in the city.
- Torres del Paine National Park. There are a number of beautiful protected nature areas near Punta Arenas like the Magallanes and Laguna Parrillar reserves, but if you’ve got time on your hands, you should consider visiting Torres del Paine National Park. The drive north takes close to four hours, but you’ll be rewarded with a true wilderness experience that’s exemplified by unique subpolar woodlands, mountain lakes, and the three awe-inspiring peaks that give the park its name. If visiting this area has only increased your appetite for adventure, you can travel even further to the fjords and glaciers of neighboring Bernardo O’Higgins National Park.
Top international routes
- Puerto Montt
- Puerto Williams
Most popular types of rental car
- Large cars - from $92 per day
- SUVs - from $109 per day
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Punta Arenas Airport (PUQ)
- IATA: PUQ
- ICAO: SCCI
- Name: Punta Arenas Airport (PUQ)
- Distance from city: 12.4 miles / 20 km
Top 8 Locations near Punta Arenas Airport
Car Rental at Balmaceda Airport from $120.92 per day829.2 km / 515.2 miles away
Car Rental at Puerto Montt Airport from $23.82 per day1297.2 km / 806.0 miles away
Car Rental at La Araucania Airport from $30.40 per day1571.4 km / 976.4 miles away
Car Rental at Santiago International Airport from $28.97 per day2180.7 km / 1355.0 miles away
Car Rental at La Serena La Florida Airport from $52.59 per day2567.4 km / 1595.3 miles away
Car Rental at Calama El Loa Airport from $79.40 per day3396.5 km / 2110.5 miles away
Car Rental at Arica Chacalluta Airport from $52.71 per day3853.8 km / 2394.6 miles away
9560.0 km / 5940.3 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Punta Arenas Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Punta Arenas Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Punta Arenas Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Flexways, Avis, Europcar|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Premium cars|
|Lowest price||$92 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Flexways||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Large cars|
|Flexways||Chevrolet Sail||4||2||Large cars|
|Flexways||Suzuki Ertiga||4||4||Large cars|
|Avis||Nissan Versa||2||3||Large cars|
|Avis||Peugeot 301||3||2||Large cars|
|Flexways||Toyota Hilux||4||5||Premium cars|
|Flexways||Suzuki Grand Nomade||4||3||SUVs|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.