Car Hire at Keflavik Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Airport Car Hire
Keflavik Airport is the main international airport in, and gateway to, the island nation of Iceland. It is located roughly 50 kilometers west of the capital of the country, Reykjavik.
Let's face it, most don't travel to Iceland to spend a week in the city. Instead, they travel for the out-of-this-world nature of the island. Thus, is no surprise that most travelers choose to hire a car for their trip. And as Keflavik Airport is the most popular entry point, there is a huge selection of hire companies from which to choose.
While you could take some form of public transportation to get to Reykjavik and hire a car there after visiting the city for some time, it is probably better to just hire a car at the airport. Transportation to the city is likely expensive and the intense competition amongst companies serving the airport means prices for hire cars are very reasonable.
So hire a car and set out towards the island's famous ring road for the adventure of a lifetime! Here are some of the most interesting things to see and do in the area:
- Whale watching. Iceland is one of the planet’s prime spots for watching these magnificent mammals, and many tours take off from Keflavik Port which is just a short ride from the airport. In addition to blue whales, humpbacks, and orcas, you might also be lucky to spot several types of dolphins. Different species have different migration patterns, but generally the summer months — June, July, and August — are the best time of the year to go whale watching in Keflavik.
- Blue Lagoon. One of the most popular attractions of Iceland, the Blue Lagoon is just a 20-minute drive from Keflavik Airport — if you plan to visit, it makes more sense to do it right away than traveling to Reykjavik and then back south. Unlike some hot springs in Iceland, this attraction is man-made, but that doesn’t take anything away neither from the lagoon’s health properties nor the overall enjoyment of the experience.
- A bridge between continents. Iceland is located on two tectonic plates — this fact is the source of the considerable volcanic activity it frequently experiences and is also responsible for many of the island’s otherworldly landscapes. So if you cross this pedestrian overpass which is a 20-minute drive south of Keflavik, you’ll technically be walking between Europe and North America. To find the bridge, follow Highway 425 until you’ll see a sign on your left.
Top international routes
- East Midlands
Most popular types of hire car
- Station wagons - starting at £ 285 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 320 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 230 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 477 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 184 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 288 per day
Car hire desks
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
If returning a car to one of the companies located outside the airport, there are multiple stations along the way at which you can fill up. Which one is the most convenient will depend on which company you use.
Keflavik Airport (KEF)
- IATA: KEF
- ICAO: BIKF
- Name: Keflavik Airport (KEF)
- Size: Large Airport
- Passengers (per year): 8,755,352
- Distance from the city centre: 1.9 miles / 3 km SW of town
- Working hours:
- Phone: +354-425-0600
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car at Keflavik Airport?
What’s the most popular hire length at Keflavik Airport?
Which month sees the highest demand for car hire at Keflavik Airport?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|FairCar||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
|Icerental4x4||Suzuki Grand Vitara||5||3||SUVs|
|Northern Lights||Dacia Duster||5||2||SUVs|
|Northern Lights||Suzuki Vitara||5||2||SUVs|
|Icerental4x4||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|FairCar||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.