Car Hire in Iceland
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Iceland?
Iceland is a great country to explore by car. Despite having a population of less than half a million people, it offers plenty to every traveler, especially in terms of natural beauty. Iceland is surprisingly vast and there is no public transportation to many of the landmarks outside the capital, so getting your own ride is a smart investment.
If you want to know more about hiring a car in Iceland, don't miss our complete guide.
Top ways to enter Iceland
- Keflavík Airport: Located about 50 km (31 mi) southwest of Iceland’s capital, Keflavik is by far the largest and busiest airport in the country.
- Reykjavík Airport: Also known as Reykjavik Domestic, this airport serves flights to destinations in the rest of Iceland, as well as to Greenland and Faroe Islands.
Top cities and places to visit
- Reykjavík: Home to nearly two thirds of Iceland’s population (if you include its suburbs), Reykjavik is a world-class destination in terms of culture, arts, and even food.
- Akureyri: Cozy, but full of life and invention, the capital of North Iceland provides access to many nature areas and landmarks.
- North Iceland: The rest of North Iceland can boast Goðafoss waterfall, Mývatn crater lake, and Vindbelgjarfjall volcano as just some of its unique nature areas. Meanwhile, Húsavík is great for whale watching and spotting some Arctic bird species.
- South Iceland: Tourists travel to this region not only for its accessibility, but also for countless waterfalls, thermal waters, and black sand beaches.
- West Fjords: Wild and beautiful, the northwest peninsula is a place to go on a nature tour and then make some new friends in one the area’s few small villages.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Iceland is the VW Polo, but the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and the Fiat 500 are also popular.
Most popular types of hire car
The most popular car type is an Economy, followed by Intermediate and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Keflavík - Reykjavík (49 km / 30 mi) After landing at Keflavík Airport, most travelers go straight to the nation’s capital, but before speeding northeast you might want to stick around the Keflavík town for a couple of hours as it is worth visiting in its own right.
- Reykjavík - Akureyri (388 km / 241 mi) You will truly appreciate having your own ride during this five hour epic drive, as there are opportunities for many fascinating detours into the Icelandic wilderness on the way.
- Reykjavík - Höfn (458 km / 284 mi) It takes full six hours to do this route, but time will pass you by as most of the time you’ll be driving along the Iceland’s spectacular southern sea coast.
Car Hire Prices
- Station wagons - starting at £ 56 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 63 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 52 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 120 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 42 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 98 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car hire deal in Iceland:
- Compare rates of different car hire companies
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Iceland is the cheapest in October when hiring a car is about 55% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best rental companies in Reykjavik.
Top 7 Most Popular Destinations in Iceland
Car Hire at Keflavik Airport starting at £ 17.23 per day
Car Hire at Reykjavik Airport starting at £ 35.98 per day
Car Hire at Reykjavik Bus Station starting at £ 40.11 per day
Car Hire at Reykjavik Harbour starting at £ 28.34 per day
Car Hire at Akureyri Airport starting at £ 35.98 per day
Car Hire at Isafjordur Airport starting at £ 46.31 per day
Car Hire at Egilsstadir Airport starting at £ 35.98 per day
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Iceland?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Iceland?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Iceland?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|FairCar||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
|Icerental4x4||Suzuki Grand Vitara||5||3||SUVs|
|Ace Rent a car||Nissan Qashqai||5||3||SUVs|
|Ace Rent a car||Kia Rio||5||3||Small cars|
|Icerental4x4||Hyundai I20||5||2||Small cars|