Car Rental in Faro
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Faro?
Faro is a great place to visit. Busy but friendly, it offers great restaurants, varied accommodation opportunities, and long sea coast. It is a great base for exploring the rest of Algarve.
One-Way Car Rentals in Faro
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Faro and drop off in another city include:
- From Faro to Lisbon - 376 offers from $9.57 per day
- From Faro to Porto - 367 offers from $9.57 per day
- From Faro to Malaga - 24 offers from $78.50 per day
- From Faro to Stuttgart - 12 offers from $163.23 per day
- From Faro to Vilamoura - 65 offers from $18.36 per day
Top ways to enter Faro
- Faro Airport: Also known as Algarve Airport, it is especially active during summers when many low-cost carriers connect it with destinations all across Europe.
- Lisbon Airport: About 275 km (170 mi) north, Portugal’s largest airport is among the 20 busiest airports in Europe and hosts flights to and from all continents of the world.
- Seville Airport: Located in neighboring Spain about 200 km (125 mi) east of Faro, Seville Airport is another great way to reach Faro if your rental car provider permits crossing the border in the rental car.
- Summers are warm to hot and sunny with average daytime temperatures of 27–35 °C (81–95 °F). The weather in the autumn and winter is generally mild with temperatures around 8–17 °C (46–63 °F). Winters are much more humid than summers.
- Faro is the southernmost city of Portugal and the capital of the Algarve region, with the population of about 65,000 people.
Top destinations and activities
- Old town (Centro Historico). Better preserved than many other old towns of Portugal, the historic center is a place where you walk the maze of narrow streets, observe varied architecture, and see what living in Faro was like more than 200 years ago.
- Bone Chapel. Chilling to some and fascinating for others, Capela dos Ossos is made out of bones taken from a nearby monk graveyard. The chapel is inside the beautiful Carmo church.
- Praia do Faro. Although not as famous as some of the other beaches of Algarve, Faro’s main beach is a great place to enjoy the sun and the sea. There are many other, more secluded beaches near the city that you can reach with your rental car.
- Estói Palace. Known for its extravagant combination of Baroque, Rococo, and Neoclassical architectural styles, as well as the pinkish hues of its facade, Estói is one of the most recognizable buildings in all of Faro. The interior of the palace halls is as fancy as the exterior, and the building is surrounded by a beautiful garden.
Traffic and parking
- You can only enter the roundabout after giving way to cars already on it.
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- Drivers can only use a mobile phone if it is a hands free or an earpiece.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- Safety cameras are in use.
- When parking in a street, your car must be parked facing the direction of travel
A lot of motorways in Portugal are subject to toll fees. See Portugal's official toll road website site for maps and fees.
Ideas for day trips
- Ria Formosa Natural Park. Less than a 30 minute ride from Faro, Ria Formosa is a system of barrier islands in a lagoon next to the Atlantic Coast. Green and calm, it is home to countless bird species, as well as a few cozy little villages that are fun to visit.
- Albufeira, Lagos, and Sagres. Perhaps even more famous than Faro, this small beach towns each have their unique atmosphere and characteristics. Albufeira and Lagos can be reached in about an hour, and Sagres is just a bit further along the coast. Visit all three of them and pick your favorite!
- Southwest Alentejo and Vicentine Coast Natural Park. A long and green stretch along Portugal’s southwest coast, this nature park spans two regions of Portugal. Most of its territory is not accessible by car, but you can conveniently park at one of the entry points and go on a long hike.
- Inland. Never visited by perhaps 95% of tourists who come to the Algarve, the region’s interior is truly off the beaten track — even if it’s just a short drive away. Made up of steep hills, historic estates, and bucolic farmland, the region is home to several stations and lodges that offer fantastic views of the sea below.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental cars in Portugal are the VW Polo, the Ford Fiesta, and the Fiat 500. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
- Alentejo. Algarve’s less glamorous neighbor is a fun place to visit not only for its great winemaking traditions, but also for historic towns, beautiful countryside, and leisurely pace of life.
- Lisbon. Portugal’s busy yet hospitable capital is considered one of the most interesting cities in Europe for a reason. Go there for history, architecture, music, and people.
- Andalusia. Spain’s southernmost region is a great place to visit, both because of its close proximity to Portugal and because of its fascinating Moorish buildings, strong regional character, and great food. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices in Faro
- Convertibles - from $112 per day
- Station wagons - from $81 per day
- Large cars - from $102 per day
- Medium cars - from $77 per day
- Vans - from $169 per day
- Premium cars - from $134 per day
- Small cars - from $46 per day
- SUVs - from $163 per day
There are things you can do to get a good rental car deal in Faro:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Faro is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best rental companies in Faro.
Top 20 Cities near Faro
Lisbon Car Rentals from $8.42 per day219.8 km / 136.6 miles away
Porto Car Rentals from $11.95 per day474.3 km / 294.7 miles away
Madeira Car Rentals from $60.67 per day935.6 km / 581.3 miles away
Funchal Car Rentals from $66.44 per day951.7 km / 591.4 miles away
Albufeira Car Rentals from $21.58 per day25.3 km / 15.7 miles away
Quarteira Car Rentals from $38.58 per day13.3 km / 8.3 miles away
Armacao de Pera Car Rentals from $33.50 per day38.1 km / 23.7 miles away
Lagos Car Rentals from $33.50 per day63.8 km / 39.6 miles away
Vilamoura Car Rentals from $33.50 per day14.8 km / 9.2 miles away
Portimao Car Rentals from $29.30 per day52.1 km / 32.3 miles away
Alvor Car Rentals from $33.50 per day54.9 km / 34.1 miles away
Braga Car Rentals from $14.02 per day506.0 km / 314.4 miles away
Cascais Car Rentals from $27.04 per day226.4 km / 140.7 miles away
Porto Santo Car Rentals from $69.94 per day879.6 km / 546.6 miles away
Coimbra Car Rentals from $20.19 per day357.3 km / 222.0 miles away
Setubal Car Rentals from $23.57 per day186.7 km / 116.0 miles away
Almada Car Rentals from $23.57 per day211.5 km / 131.4 miles away
Aveiro Car Rentals from $26.03 per day406.9 km / 252.8 miles away
Sintra Car Rentals from $21.51 per day233.9 km / 145.3 miles away
Viseu Car Rentals from $20.19 per day404.1 km / 251.1 miles away
Top 10 Locations near Faro
Faro Airport Car Rentals from $23.31 per day4.5 km / 2.8 miles away
Lisbon Alameda Car Rentals from $19.37 per day216.0 km / 134.2 miles away
Oriente Train Station Car Rentals from $27.04 per day217.6 km / 135.2 miles away
Lisbon Airport Car Rentals from $8.42 per day219.0 km / 136.1 miles away
Lisbon Prior Velho Car Rentals from $49.04 per day220.2 km / 136.8 miles away
Porto Campanha Railway Station Car Rentals from $20.19 per day460.1 km / 285.9 miles away
Porto Boavista Car Rentals from $41.38 per day461.7 km / 286.9 miles away
Porto Airport Car Rentals from $11.95 per day472.0 km / 293.3 miles away
Porto Santo Airport (Madeira) Car Rentals from $69.94 per day884.0 km / 549.3 miles away
Madeira Airport (Funchal) Car Rentals from $60.67 per day940.0 km / 584.1 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Faro?
What’s the usual rental length in Faro?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Faro?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||3|
|Popular suppliers||Autorent, Drive on Holidays, Drive4Fun, EPI Rent a Car, Goldcar|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$8 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Autorent||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|EPI Rent a Car||Seat Ibiza||4||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Drive4Fun||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Drive on Holidays||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Autorent||Ford Focus STW||5||3||Station wagons|
|Turisprime||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|EPI Rent a Car||Volkswagen Up||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.