Car Rental in Vancouver
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Vancouver?
The largest city on Canada’s Pacific coast, Vancouver is one of the country’s most popular tourist destinations. From interesting history to busy cultural life, and the splendid nature surrounding it and even wineries, the city has more than a few aces up its sleeve.
One-Way Car Rentals in Vancouver
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Vancouver and drop off in another city include:
- From Vancouver to Calgary - 118 offers from $61.77 per day
- From Vancouver to Seattle - 22 offers from $68.86 per day
- From Vancouver to Saskatoon - 16 offers from $82.37 per day
- From Vancouver to Toronto - 39 offers from $118.42 per day
- From Vancouver to Abbotsford - 10 offers from $82.35 per day
Top ways to enter Vancouver
- Vancouver Airport. Located in the nearby Richmond, Vancouver Airport handled almost 26 million travelers in 2018, making it the second-busiest airport in Canada after only Pearson in Toronto. In addition to countless connections all across the Americas, the airport also hosts flights to and from Pacific Asia, Europe, and Oceania. Situated 13 km (8.1 mi) south of Downtown Vancouver, the airport can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- Victoria Airport. Another much smaller international airport in British Columbia, Victoria airport handled two million travelers in 2018. Victoria Airport has flights by 12 different airlines, although some only operate seasonally. Located on Vancouver Island, it’ll take around three hours and a ferry ride to get to Vancouver from Victoria.
- Calgary Airport. Serving the largest city of Alberta Province, YYC Calgary Airport served 17 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for WestJet and has flights by around 20 other airlines. Calgary Airport is 990 km (615 mi) east of Vancouver and it takes 10 to 12 hours to travel between the two by car. There are many national parks and other attractions on the way, so it’s easy to split up the trip into two or three days. It is popular among travelers to arrive at one of the airports and leave from the other.
- Seattle Tacoma Airport. Often called Sea-Tac, one of the largest airports in the Pacific United States served nearly 50 million travelers in 2018. The airport is a large hub for Alaska Airlines and Delta Air Lines, and hosts flights to destinations all over North America, as well as in Europe and Asia. Located just 250 km (155 mi) south of Vancouver, Seattle Airport can be reached in three hours. You’ll have to cross the international border, so ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Also, make sure whether you need a visa to enter either country.
Vancouver is Canada’s warmest large city. Summers are warm and dry, with temperatures sometimes exceeding 30 °C (86 °F). Winters are mild are very wet. On average, there are only a few days of snowfall in the city per year, though the surrounding mountains offer some of the greatest skiing in Canada
Vancouver is the capital and by far the largest city of British Columbia. As of 2023, it had a population of 675,000 in the city proper and another 2.7 million living in its larger metropolitan area. Although British Columbia has an area of 944,735 km2 (364,764 sq mi), larger than Nigeria, Pakistan, and Turkey, more than 50% of its population lives in or around Vancouver.
Top destinations and activities
Museum of Anthropology. If you're looking to learn about the Indigenous Peoples of the Northwest Coast and some of their history, visit the impressive Museum of Anthropology at the University of British Columbia, which houses several thousand objects from BC's First Nations. The museum is also home to significant collections of archaeological objects and ethnographic materials from other parts of the world.
The Vancouver Art Gallery. The Vancouver Art Gallery in downtown Vancouver combines local with international artworks through a variety of exhibitions and a permanent collection that focuses on renowned British Columbia artist, Emily Carr. Stanley Park. One of the largest urban parks in Canada, Stanley Park is very popular with tourists and locals alike. In addition to long walks, picnics, and birdwatching, the park also offers attractions like the Vancouver Aquarium, beaches, a heated outdoor swimming pool, and a pedestrianized and cycling-friendly route on the 10km section of seawall around the perimeter of the park.
Vancouver Lookout. A 360-degree viewing platform at the top of the Harbour Center skyscraper, the Lookout is one of the best places to take in panoramic views of Vancouver. The combination of the city skyline and the surrounding ocean and mountains makes for a truly memorable experience.
Traffic and parking
- The speed limits vary between different roads. The general limits are 90 km/h to 100 km/h on motorways and outside cities and from 30 km/h to 50 km/h inside cities.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05%. Driving under influence exceeding the limit is a criminal offence and can lead to hefty fines, a driving ban, and even imprisonment.
- The insurance and car documentation needs to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your license with you at all times.
- Using the mobile phone while driving is prohibited. The rule is strictly imposed with high fines.
- The phone number for emergencies is 911.
There are a number of toll roads in eastern Canada. However, as of January 2023 there are no toll roads in British Columbia.
In the rest of Canada, payment method and fees differ for different toll roads. It is best to look them up in advance, finding the information for each province in which you plan to travel. You can also use a toll calculator to calculate the approximate fees for your upcoming ride.
Ideas for day trips
- North Shore. Best known for the three mountais, Cypress, Grouse Mountain and Mt Seyour, the North Shore is a mecca for outdoors activities. You can enjoy skiing, snowshoeing and snowboarding in the winter and mountain biking, hiking and walking in the summer or even kayaking at Deep Cove. There is also the popular Capilano Suspension Bridge where you can explore the forests and cross over the canyon on impressive suspension bridges.
- Bowen Island. Easily reached by water taxis that depart from downtown Vancouver, Bowen Island and its beaches, walking trails, and small restaurants is a perfect place to unwind from the more busy atmosphere of the big city.
- Whistler. Famous for the 2010 Winter Olympics and for being the largest ski resort in North America, Whistler is, of course, home to plenty of winter activities. In the summer you can go hiking, canoeing, kayaking or swimming in the alpine lakes, take a scenic ride on the Peak-to-Peak gondola, or relax at the Scandinave Spa year-round.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car type in Canada is an economy, but fullsize and intermediate are also often picked. The most popular rental cars are the Kia Rio, the Jeep Wrangler, and the Nissan Rogue.
- The Okanagan. Most people don't think of Canada as a wine destination, but Okanagan can change anyone's mind. Thanks to the mild ocean climate, this British Columbia region is home to high-class wineries and a number of tasting tours. Okanagan is more than four hours drive east of Vancouver so it’s best done as a weekend trip, but since you'll be coming here with a rental car, that will only let you experience more of what it has to offer.
- Banff National Park and Lake Louise Just across theB.C., border in Alberta is Banff National Park which is famous for the stunning scenery of the Rocky Mountains and alpine lakes such as Lake Louise and Moraine Lake.
- Seattle. Famous for its music, culture, and free spirit, Seattle is one of the most unique American cities. It is just about three hours drive away from Vancouver. Note that if you plan to drive from Seattle to Vancouver (or vice versa), you'll have to cross the border, so it's a good idea to contact your rental car provider in advance to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices in Vancouver
- Convertibles - from $258 per day
- Large cars - from $83 per day
- Medium cars - from $186 per day
- Vans - from $98 per day
- Premium cars - from $98 per day
- Small cars - from $72 per day
- SUVs - from $94 per day
You can do a number of things to get a good rental car deal in Vancouver:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Vancouver is the cheapest in September when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Vancouver
North Vancouver Car Rentals from $133.76 per day14.9 km / 9.3 miles away
Nanaimo Car Rentals from $130.90 per day57.3 km / 35.6 miles away
Abbotsford Car Rentals from $65.52 per day62.8 km / 39.0 miles away
Victoria Car Rentals from $65.52 per day63.3 km / 39.3 miles away
Kamloops Car Rentals from $185.98 per day258.0 km / 160.3 miles away
Kelowna Car Rentals from $72.01 per day287.2 km / 178.5 miles away
Calgary Car Rentals from $92.47 per day686.4 km / 426.5 miles away
Edmonton Car Rentals from $75.83 per day809.1 km / 502.8 miles away
Saskatoon Car Rentals from $72.01 per day1204.7 km / 748.6 miles away
Winnipeg Car Rentals from $72.01 per day1863.9 km / 1158.2 miles away
Windsor Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3175.3 km / 1973.0 miles away
Toronto Car Rentals from $39.13 per day3345.5 km / 2078.8 miles away
Mississauga Car Rentals from $48.45 per day3345.6 km / 2078.9 miles away
Hamilton Car Rentals from $72.51 per day3348.5 km / 2080.7 miles away
Ottawa Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3552.0 km / 2207.1 miles away
Montreal Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3682.2 km / 2288.0 miles away
Quebec City Car Rentals from $82.05 per day3787.4 km / 2353.4 miles away
Saint John Car Rentals from $128.76 per day4240.9 km / 2635.2 miles away
Dieppe Car Rentals from $72.08 per day4285.3 km / 2662.8 miles away
Halifax Car Rentals from $39.98 per day4429.3 km / 2752.2 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Vancouver
Vancouver Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day
Downtown Car Rentals from $105.59 per day11.0 km / 6.8 miles away
Nanaimo Airport Car Rentals from $130.90 per day52.3 km / 32.5 miles away
Abbotsford International Airport Car Rentals from $65.52 per day62.8 km / 39.0 miles away
Victoria International Airport Car Rentals from $65.52 per day63.3 km / 39.3 miles away
Kamloops Airport Car Rentals from $185.98 per day258.0 km / 160.3 miles away
Kelowna Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day287.2 km / 178.5 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $153.39 per day681.5 km / 423.5 miles away
Calgary Airport Car Rentals from $92.47 per day686.4 km / 426.5 miles away
Edmonton Airport Car Rentals from $75.83 per day809.1 km / 502.8 miles away
Saskatoon Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day1204.7 km / 748.6 miles away
Winnipeg Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day1863.9 km / 1158.2 miles away
Windsor International Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3175.3 km / 1973.0 miles away
Toronto Airport Car Rentals from $39.13 per day3345.5 km / 2078.8 miles away
3348.5 km / 2080.7 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $63.00 per day3361.4 km / 2088.7 miles away
Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport Car Rentals from $72.51 per day3364.9 km / 2090.9 miles away
Ottawa Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3552.0 km / 2207.1 miles away
Montreal Airport Car Rentals from $72.01 per day3682.2 km / 2288.0 miles away
Quebec City Airport Car Rentals from $82.05 per day3787.4 km / 2353.4 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Vancouver?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in Vancouver?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Vancouver?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||4|
|Popular suppliers||Routes Car Rental, Dollar, Thrifty, Flexways, Avis|
|Popular car categories||Large cars, SUVs, Vans, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$72 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car Rental||Nissan Rogue||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Grand Caravan||4||2||Vans|
|Routes Car Rental||Honda Civic||4||3||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Ford Escape||5||3||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||1||Small cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Dollar||Toyota Corolla||4||1||Large cars|
|Avis||Hyundai Elantra||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.