Car Hire in Mallorca
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Mallorca?
The largest of the Balearic islands, Mallorca is one of Spain’s most famous holiday destinations. The island is best known for its splendid beaches and all-inclusive resorts, but there’s also a surprising amount of history, culture, and mountainous scenery to explore.
Top ways to enter Mallorca
- Palma de Mallorca Airport: Having served nearly 30 million travelers in 2019, this is the third-busiest airport in all of Spain. The airport is on the west coast of the island, about a 10-minute drive from Palma, but is easy to reach from anywhere on the island.
- By ferry: There is an active ferry service between Mallorca and the other Balearic Islands, Menorca and Ibiza, as well as destinations on the Spanish mainland like Barcelona and Valencia. Most ferry companies permit taking a vehicle onboard, but the same cannot be said of all car hire companies, so you should ask them in advance. Ferry service is more active during the summer months, but booking tickets in advance is a good idea as they tend to sell out fast.
Top destinations and activities
- Castell de Bellver. Located just west of Palma, this castle is arguably the most important building in all of the Balearic Islands. Dating back to the 14th century, the Gothic former home of the Kings of Majorca is located on a hilltop and offers fascinating views of the city and the sea below.
- Old Palma. Another place of impressive architecture and special atmosphere, the historic city centre of Palma is another treat for history lovers. The most important landmarks here are arguably the Cathedral of Palma, or La Seu, which took 370 years to finish, and the Royal Palace of Almudaina.
- Museum of Contemporary Spanish Art. Also located in the Old Town, but deserving special mention, this is one of the most notable museums in the region. In addition to rotating exhibitions of contemporary Spanish art, it also has a permanent collection of works by world-famous masters like Picasso and Dali.
Traffic and parking
- Speed limits are 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car’s documentation and proof of insurance always have to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
There is just one toll road on Mallorca, the MA-11 which starts in Palma and goes north to the town of Sóller. As an alternative, you can take the old MA110 which is free of charge and offers a more scenic route but takes about 30 minutes longer.
Ideas for day trips
- Beaches. The main reason to visit Mallorca, the island’s beautiful coastline attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year. There are a lot of popular beaches around Palma, but getting a hire car will give you a chance to also discover the less explored coastal spots of the island, especially around its northwestern coast.
- Cuevas del Drach. It might be a surprise to some visitors, but the relatively small island of Mallorca is home to not just fine beaches, but also one of the most impressive cave systems in all of Spain. Collectively known as the Dragon Caves, the four subterranean caverns are about an hour’s drive from Palma.
- Serra de Tramuntana. Another notable natural fear, the Tramuntana Mountains are on the western coast of Mallorca. The most famous part of this region is Magaluf, one of Mallorca’s rowdiest nightlife spots which is at the range’s southern edge. Travel further north and you’ll discover idyllic hikes, olive groves, and beautiful highland lakes.
Most popular cars
The most popular car for hire in Mallorca is the Fiat 500, followed by the Ford Focus and the Fiat Panda. The most popular car types are mini, economy, and compact.
Car Hire Prices in Mallorca
- Convertibles - starting at £ 25 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 25 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 24 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 48 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 30 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 13 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 17 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare the rates of different car hire suppliers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Mallorca is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 60% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 3 Cities near Mallorca
Menorca Car Hire starting at £ 12.45 per day131.7 km / 81.8 miles away
Ibiza Car Hire starting at £ 12.45 per day139.8 km / 86.9 miles away
Formentera Car Hire starting at £ 41.73 per day145.9 km / 90.7 miles away
Top 7 Destinations around Mallorca
Palma de Mallorca Airport Car Hire starting at £ 12.80 per day
27.3 km / 17.0 miles away
Menorca Cala Blanca Car Hire starting at £ 29.25 per day104.6 km / 65.0 miles away
Menorca Airport Car Hire starting at £ 12.45 per day131.7 km / 81.8 miles away
132.0 km / 82.0 miles away
Punta Prima Car Hire starting at £ 29.25 per day135.4 km / 84.1 miles away
Formentera Port Car Hire starting at £ 41.73 per day145.9 km / 90.7 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Mallorca?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Mallorca?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Mallorca?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||24|
|Popular suppliers||Record-go, Click&Rent, Goldcar, Wiber, Drivalia|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 13 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||K10 Mobility|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|K10 Mobility||Peugeot 208||5||2||Medium cars|
|Goldcar||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Click&Rent||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|K10 Mobility||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.