Car Hire in Mauritius
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Mauritius?
Located in the Indian ocean, little Mauritius is one of the most visited countries in Africa for a reason. In addition to its countless beautiful beaches, the country has a fascinating and diverse cultural heritage, delicious cuisine, and stunning nature.
Top ways to enter Mauritius
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport. Also known as Plaisance Airport and simply Mauritius Airport, this is the main port of entry for visitors of Mauritius. Served by more than 20 airlines, the airport provides connections with other African countries like Kenya and Madagascar, as well as far away destinations such as France, India, and the United Arab Emirates. The airport is about 40 km (25 miles) southeast of Port Louis, the national capital.
Top cities and places to visit
- Port Louis. The capital and largest city of Mauritius, Port Louis is also one of its main tourist attractions, and for a good reason. Located on the main island’s northwestern coast, the city is home to historical attractions like Fort Adelaide and Aapravasi Ghat (the latter a World Heritage site), as well as a scenic waterfront.
- Black River Gorges. Located in the southwest, this is a national park that’s made up of the remaining portion of an ancient rainforest. A great place for walking and trekking, the area has a wide variety of flora and fauna like rusa deer and Mauritian flying fox.
- Blue Bay. The main reason why thousands of tourists take long intercontinental flights to visit Mauritius is the country’s stunning coastline, something that is exemplified by places like Blue Bay. Located on the southeast coast, Blue Bay has often been named as having some of the nicest beaches on all of the planet, and there’s also the Blue May Marine Park where you can dive to explore reefs.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Mauritius is the Perodua Viva, followed by the Hyundai i20 and the Nissan Micra. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and standard.
Driving licence requirements
- Mauritius only recognizes foreign driving licences if you are visiting as a tourist on a trip that’s shorter than 4 weeks. If you’re staying in the country for a longer period or are residing there permanently, you need to obtain a local licence instead.
- If your driving licence is printed in another alphabet than Latin (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) too.
- Similarly, if your driving licence doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you also need to keep your original licence on you as you will be required to provide both.
- You must carry your driving licence, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driving licence for at least two years.
- Some car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the car hire conditions before booking.
Top driving routes
- Bras d’Eau National Park. Although not as well known as the Black River, Bras d’Eau is another stunning destination of Mauritius. Located in the northeast of the main island, the area is known for its native tree species that cannot be found on the African mainland, as well as wetlands that include mangrove swamps. The drive from Port Louis takes about 50 minutes.
- Rodrigues. Located some 500 km (300 miles) east of the main island of Mauritius, Rodrigues is as remote as they come. Getting there is neither easy nor cheap (the islet can only be reached by plane, except for a ferry that travels twice a month), but if you can make it, you’ll be rewarded with even more serenity and natural beauty than on the main island.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 93 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 42 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 32 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 26 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 41 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 68 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 21 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 41 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper car for hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Mauritius is the cheapest in June when hiring a car is about 19% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 47% cheaper than hiring a car in December.
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Mauritius the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Mauritius?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Mauritius?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||25|
|Popular suppliers||Mauriconnect Car Rental, AutoRent Mauritius, Garuda Car Rental, Am38, Mauhire|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||£ 21 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||AutoRent Mauritius|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|AutoRent Mauritius||Suzuki Alto||5||1||Small cars|
|Mauriconnect Car Rental||Hyundai Grand i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Mauriconnect Car Rental||Toyota Vitz||5||1||Small cars|
|AutoRent Mauritius||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|Mauriconnect Car Rental||Nissan Micra||5||1||Small cars|
|Mauriconnect Car Rental||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Mauriconnect Car Rental||Honda Jazz||5||1||Small cars|
|Garuda Car Rental||Suzuki Alto||5||1||Small cars|
|Am38||Suzuki Swift||5||2||Medium cars|
|AutoRent Mauritius||Suzuki Ignis||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.