Car Hire on Sicily
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car on Sicily?
A remarkable destination, Sicily is a part of Italy, but could surely hold its own against many independent countries. In addition to some of the nicest beaches in Europe, this Mediterranean island is home to sophisticated cities, lovely countryside, and sites dating back for millennia.
One-way Car Hire on Sicily
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup on Sicily and drop off in another country:
- From Sicily to Italy - 1284 offers from £ 15.65 per day
Top ways to enter Sicily
- Catania Airport. The busiest on the island, Catania-Fontanarossa serves over ten million travellers annually. The airport offers access to the famous city of the same name, as well as Mount Etna and the eastern coast of Sicily.
- Palermo Airport. Serving the island’s capital, Falcone-Borsellino Airport is another major gateway to the island. The airport was named after two Italian judges and prosecutors notable for their efforts in the fight against the mafia.
- Trapani Airport. Much smaller than the other two, Trapani Airport nonetheless provides several domestic connections, as well as flights to and from cities like London, Amsterdam, and Prague. The airport provides access to the island’s scenic northwestern coast.
Top cities and places to visit
- Palermo. The capital of Sicily is arguably one of the most impressive cities in all of Italy. Founded by Phoenicians and ruled by the most diverse array of cultures, its centre is like a big museum, a feeling that is embodied by such landmarks as the Palatine Chapel, Norman Palace, and Pretoria Fountain (though don’t miss out on the Capuchin Catacombs and the Anti-Mafia Museum, either!)
- Catania. The other great city of Sicily, Catania has a somewhat lighter and more youthful atmosphere, largely thanks to its sizable student population, but is actually just as historical as Palermo, and the layers of its 2,700-year-old history can be explored for days. The city is surrounded by beautiful beaches, but the main natural attraction of the area is, of course, the mighty Mount Etna, the very active volcano which can be visited on a guided tour if the latest eruption forecast permits it.
- Madonie National Park. The largest protected area of the island, Madonie is the best place to enjoy the primordial natural beauty of Sicily. Despite the area’s apparent aridness, there is a great variety of flora and fauna here, something that can be enjoyed on a number of walks of varying length and difficulty. The gateway to Madonie is Cefalù, one of the most scenic towns on the island’s northern coast.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Sicily is the Fiat 500, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Skoda Fabia. The most hired car types are economy, mini, and intermediate.
Driving licence requirements
- Italy accepts all driver's licenses issued in the European Union (EU).
- If your driver's license is issued by a non-EU country, for it to be considered valid you’ll need an Italian visa. Another requirement is to have been in the EU for no more than six months at the time of the rental. If you’ve been in the EU longer, you’ll need a driver's license issued by an EU country.
- If your driver's license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your license into English or, preferably, Italian.
- You must carry your driver's license, not its copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver's license for at least one or two years, depending on the car supplier’s requirements.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Sicily is connected to mainland Italy via a ferry which connects the island’s port city of Messina to the region of Calabria. It is possible to bring a vehicle on a boat, but you should still ask your car hire supplier in advance to make sure that they permit it (also, check the rental conditions before hiring a car). There are also direct ferry connections with destinations like Rome, Naples, and the island of Sardinia, but the same rules apply to those.
Sicily is also connected by a ferry to the island country of Malta and the Northern African nation of Tunisia. However, no car hire supplier permits taking a vehicle on either of those ferry routes. You can travel without a car and pick up a hired vehicle after arriving in Malta or Tunisia from one of the local companies.
Top driving routes
- Agrigento. Known for its bucolic vineyards, the western province of Agrigento is also the best place in Sicily to enjoy its Ancient Greek heritage — specifically around the so-called Valley of Temples immediately to the south of the region’s namesake capital. The region’s beaches, meanwhile, are among the quietest and most unspoilt in all of Sicily.
- Messina. Not just a famous old port city, but also a province, Messina is the first of Sicily you’ll get to enjoy if arriving by car from the mainland. Home to scenic towns like Taormina and Novara di Sicilia, the region is also a gateway to the Aeolian Archipelago. Some ferries permit bringing a vehicle along, while others don’t — but even if it’s the former, make sure to also find out if your car hire supplier doesn’t mind that.
Car Hire Prices
- Convertibles - starting at £ 15 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 13 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 16 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 11 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 48 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 68 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 8 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 16 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper car for hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire suppliers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Sicily is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 9 Most Popular Cities on Sicily
Car Hire in Catania starting at £ 9.60 per day
Car Hire in Palermo starting at £ 8.44 per day
Car Hire in Trapani starting at £ 11.18 per day
Car Hire in Pozzallo starting at £ 49.25 per day
Car Hire in Messina starting at £ 22.39 per day
Car Hire in Agrigento starting at £ 23.30 per day
Car Hire in Noto starting at £ 31.68 per day
Car Hire in Taormina starting at £ 33.49 per day
Car Hire in Avola starting at £ 31.68 per day
Top 5 Most Popular Destinations on Sicily
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire on Sicily the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, on Sicily?
Which month is the most favoured for hiring a car on Sicily?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||41|
|Popular suppliers||Easycarhire, Italy Car Rent, Felirent, Sicily By Car, Viaggiare|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, People Carriers|
|Lowest price||£ 8 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|RentalPlus||Fiat Panda||5||1||Medium cars|
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Felirent||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.