Car Hire at Palermo Airport
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Airport Car Hire
Palermo Airport, though serving the capital of the island, is the second-busiest airport on Sicily. It is a major gateway for tourist from all over, but particularly Brits. The airport serves as a great gateway to the northwestern part of the island and some of its most scenic attractions.
Tolls: There are some toll roads on Sicily. An example is the motorway between Palermo and Messina (the A20). Fortunately, it is possible to pay for tolls with cash. No electronic transponder is needed on Sicily.
Taking a hire car to the mainland: Most hire companies at Palermo Airport allow their cars to be taken between Sicily and mainland Italy. Usually, travellers make this a one-way trip (that is, not returning to Siciliy). There is an additional fee for this, though it is not large percentage-wise if hiring a car for a week or more. You can search for the location where you would like to drop off the car and the extra fee will be included in the total prices.
One-way rental between Sicily and Sardinia may not be available by the specific hire company you choose. And if they are, the fee is significantly higher than travelling to the mainland.
So don't wait! Plan your trip to Sicily, hire a car, and enjoy the sunny beaches! And here are some destinations in the northern part of the island to put on your list:
- Palermo Cathedral. There are many beautiful and historically important churches in Sicily, but the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Assumption of Virgin Mary might just take the main prize. Proof of the island’s eclectic past, it displays Norman, Arab, Gothic, Neoclassical, and other influences that come together in a truly impressive exterior and interior.
- Cefalù. Located about an hour’s drive west of Palermo, the coastal town of Cefalù has featured on a number of famous lists of must-visit places. Significantly more relaxed than the regional capital, it is primarily known for its beautiful coastline and distinct architecture but is also home to the beautiful Temple of Diana and the enigmatic Portrait of a Man, a 15th-century painting that has been likened to a male version of Mona Lisa.
- Trapani. Located near the island’s westernmost point, Trapani is another popular day trip from Palermo. Known for its lively atmosphere, the city is home to the imposing Trapani Basilica, a number of beautiful baroque buildings, nice beaches, and even the Salt Museum. Trapani is also known as a jumping-off point for visiting the Egadi Archipelago and the island of Pantelleria. The drive from Palermo takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Station wagons - starting at £ 171 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 169 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 106 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 246 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 84 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 130 per day
Car hire desks
Smaller and low-cost brands have locations near the airport and provide either a free shuttle bus or have a representative meet you at the airport.
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Popular one-way hires
- Catania (240 km/149 miles)
- Lamezia Terme (384 km/238 miles)
- Comiso (262 km/163 miles)
- Bologna (1,305 km/811 miles)
- Trapani (84 km/52 miles)
- Rome (953 km/592 miles)
Palermo Airport (PMO)
- IATA: PMO
- ICAO: LICJ
- Name: Palermo Airport (PMO)
- Size: Large Airport
- Flights per year: 44,122
- Passengers (per year): 5,325,559
- Distance from the city centre: 21.7 miles / 35 km WNW of town
- Working hours: 24 hours a day
- Phone: +39 091-7020111
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Top 8 Destinations around Palermo Airport
Trapani Port starting at £ 78.53 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Trapani Airport starting at £ 26.29 per day80.3 km / 49.9 miles away
Catania Sant'Agata li Battiati starting at £ 108.29 per day163.6 km / 101.7 miles away
Catania North starting at £ 126.39 per day164.9 km / 102.5 miles away
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport starting at £ 19.81 per day166.6 km / 103.5 miles away
Catania San Giuseppe la Rena starting at £ 140.47 per day166.9 km / 103.7 miles away
Catania Port starting at £ 149.11 per day167.0 km / 103.8 miles away
Pozzallo Port starting at £ 83.60 per day203.2 km / 126.3 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car at Palermo Airport?
What’s the most popular hire length at Palermo Airport?
Which month sees the highest demand for car hire at Palermo Airport?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Maggiore||Lancia Ypsilon||5||1||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Toyota Aygo||5||2||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Citroen C1||2||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Volkswagen Polo||5||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Locauto||Fiat Panda||3||2||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Noleggiare||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.