Car Hire in Chania
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Why hire a car in Chania?
Located on the northwestern coast of Crete, the city of Chania is one of Greece’s top holiday destinations. There’s plenty of stunning coastline to explore just to the west and east of the island, but Chania can also serve as a hub for traveling around the rest of Crete and getting to famous destinations like the Samaria Gorge.
One-way Car Hire in Chania
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Chania and drop off in another city include:
- From Chania to Heraklion - 273 offers from £ 12.05 per day
Top ways to enter Chania
- Chania Airport: Serving about three million travelers per year, Chania Airport is a 20 minute drive west of the city centre. During the summer months, the airport has flights by about 40 different airlines, including a number of low-cost carriers.
- Heraklion Airport: Heraklion Airport serves the city of the same name, the most populous on Crete. The airport handled more than 7 million travelers in 2019, making it one of the busiest in all of Greece. The drive from Heraklion Airport to Chania takes about 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Top destinations and activities
- Beaches. Crete is home to some of the best beaches in Europe, and the surroundings of Chania are definitely no exception to that — in fact, it is often listed as one of the finest beach towns on the continent. Some of the best coastal stretches include the nearby Akrotiri peninsula with its impressive coves, as well as more distant beaches like Phalassarna and Elafonisi that are nonetheless easy to reach if you’ve hired a car.
- Old Town. Inhabited since the Stone Age, Chania has a diverse and fascinating history. Today, much of this heritage is exemplified by the city’s small yet atmospheric old town. The well-preserved area remains partially encircled by the Venetian Walls and is characterized by its large and busy marina, as well as the small, narrow sidestreets further away from the coast.
- Etz Hayyim. Although much of Crete’s Jewish population sadly perished during the Second World War, the community had lived on the island for more than 2,300 years, strongly influencing its history and culture. Also known as the Romaniotes, the Greek-speaking Jews were one of the oldest Jewish diaspora groups in Europe. One of the best places to learn about this chapter of Chania’s past is the Etz Hayyim Synagogue which was restored in 1999. The historical Jewish quarter, or Ovraiki, is a part of the aforementioned old town, comprising its northwestern part.
Traffic and parking tips
- There are no highways on Crete (nor on any other Greek islands).
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on roads outside populated areas and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- Many petrol stations might be closed on weekends and public holidays.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to steep fines and a license ban. Exceeding the limit of 0.08% is a criminal offense and can lead to up to two years of imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s registration need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112. The police number is 100, the ambulance number is 166, and the fire brigade number is 199.
There are no toll roads in Crete.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Samaria Gorge. From its highest point at 1,250 m (4,100 feet) to sea level, the 14km (8.7 mile) long Samaria Gorge is one of the most impressive natural attractions in Greece. Whether you only go as far as the famous ‘Iron Gates’ or hike all the way to the top, visiting this place is bound to be one of the highlights of your trip. The drive from Chania to the highest point of Samaria in the northern part of the gorge takes about an hour.
- Heraklion. The largest city of Crete, Heraklion is also one of Crete’s most interesting travel destinations. Home of the ancient Minoan civilization which predated Classical Greece, and sites like the Palace of Knossos, the city has plenty to enjoy in terms of history and architecture. Heraklion can also be used as a hub for exploring the eastern end of Crete.
- Kissamos. Located in the far western part of the island, the town of Kissamos remains rather overlooked by foreign visitors but can be a lovely place to visit. The area is best characterized by bucolic olive groves and other farmland but is also home to the aforementioned Phalasarna Beach, the beautiful Balos Lagoon, a small but interesting archaeological museum, and the nearby Gramvousa peninsula. The drive from Chania to Kissamos takes only 40 minutes.
Most popular hire types and cars
The most popular car for hire in Chania is the Fiat 500, closely followed by the Citroen C3 and the Nissan Micra. The most popular car hire types are economy, compact, and mini.
Car Hire Prices in Chania
- Convertibles - starting at £ 59 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 60 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 60 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 49 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 111 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 35 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 84 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare the rates of different car hire suppliers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Chania is the cheapest in January when hiring a car is about 70% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 83% cheaper than hiring a car in July.
Top 13 Cities near Chania
95.8 km / 59.5 miles away
Athens starting at £ 26.14 per day272.9 km / 169.6 miles away
Corfu starting at £ 73.12 per day598.8 km / 372.1 miles away
Rhodes starting at £ 574.49 per day380.4 km / 236.4 miles away
Thessaloniki starting at £ 33.10 per day577.3 km / 358.7 miles away
Kos starting at £ 20.06 per day299.0 km / 185.8 miles away
Zakynthos starting at £ 32.18 per day381.8 km / 237.2 miles away
Mykonos starting at £ 39.48 per day237.2 km / 147.4 miles away
Kefalonia starting at £ 79.62 per day434.2 km / 269.8 miles away
Santorini starting at £ 64.73 per day152.4 km / 94.7 miles away
Preveza starting at £ 40.82 per day481.8 km / 299.4 miles away
Skiathos starting at £ 20.31 per day407.9 km / 253.5 miles away
Kalamata starting at £ 43.35 per day255.8 km / 158.9 miles away
Top 16 Destinations around Chania
Chania Souda Port starting at £ 36.00 per day
Chania Hotel Delivery starting at £ 34.21 per day5.8 km / 3.6 miles away
Chania Old Port starting at £ 5.90 per day6.0 km / 3.8 miles away
Crete Airport Chania starting at £ 18.05 per day8.4 km / 5.2 miles away
Rethymno Hotel Delivery starting at £ 32.32 per day38.6 km / 24.0 miles away
Heraklion Port starting at £ 32.34 per day98.4 km / 61.2 miles away
Crete Airport Heraklion starting at £ 18.79 per day101.6 km / 63.1 miles away
Kokkini Hani Arina Beach Resort starting at £ 38.15 per day107.2 km / 66.6 miles away
Hersonissos Lyttos Beach hotel starting at £ 4.83 per day116.9 km / 72.6 miles away
Malia Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa starting at £ 4.83 per day126.4 km / 78.6 miles away
Milos Airport starting at £ 61.53 per day139.1 km / 86.4 miles away
Milos Hotel Delivery starting at £ 113.17 per day141.8 km / 88.1 miles away
Agios Nikolaos Port starting at £ 14.21 per day152.4 km / 94.7 miles away
Santorini Mesaria starting at £ 64.73 per day160.7 km / 99.9 miles away
Santorini Airport starting at £ 28.85 per day162.0 km / 100.7 miles away
Mylopota starting at £ 36.39 per day174.9 km / 108.7 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Chania?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Chania?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Chania?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Avance Rent a Car||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Peugeot 208||4||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Toyota Aygo||4||1||Small cars|
|Autocandia||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|Alma Car Hire||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Fiat Panda||5||2||Small cars|
|Autocandia||Citroën C1||5||1||Small cars|
|Autocandia||Peugeot 108||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.