Car Rental at Basel Airport
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Airport Car Rental
A large and historic city near both France and Germany, Basel is one of the most interesting Swiss destinations. In addition to having plenty of landmarks and architecture to marvel at, the city also offers access to the most interesting places in northwest Switzerland. With that in mind, these are six of the most notable attractions in and around Basel:
- Museums. Basel is home to a variety of high-quality museums, though there are too many to name them all separately, The standout among them is arguably the Kunstmuseum or Fine Arts Museum which celebrated its 340th birthday in 2021 and features works by such famous masters as Rembrandt, Picasso, Gauguin, and Worhol. Other notable cultural institutions include the Basel Paper Mill, Museum of Ancient Art, Dollhouse Museum, and Museum of Cultures. Outside the city center is the futuristic Jean Tinguely Museum of kinetic art.
- Basel Zoo. The zoo, founded in 1874, is the oldest in Switzerland and one of the two most visited zoos in the country, together with the Zurich Zoo.
- Basler Münster is one of the most impressive buildings in the city. The first stone of the Gothic church was laid exactly 1,000 years ago (in 1019); later, the church was destroyed by an earthquake in 1366 but was quickly rebuilt. After this, the southern tower was added.
- Rathaus. Located in Marktplatz, the main square of Basel, the city’s town hall is also one of its most beautiful buildings. 500 years old, it continues to fulfill its original function, but you can marvel at its maroon facade from the outside and even take a look into the courtyard. The Rathaus is near the left bank of Rhine and such landmarks as the aforementioned Kunsthaus and St. Alban’s gate.
- Freiburg im Breisgau. Located an hour’s drive north, Freiburg im Breisgau is one of the most beautiful cities in southern Germany. Located on the edge of the Black Forest, itself a fascinating destination, Freiburg is known for its abundance of notable buildings, historical atmosphere, and one of the most impressive cathedrals in Europe. Ask your rental car supplier in advance if they permit you to cross the border.
- Mulhouse. Located 35 km from Basel, the French city of Mulhouse in Alsace is famous for its rich collection of museums worth visiting. Among the most notable is the Musée de l'Automobile, which exhibits an impressive collection of old and modern cars and motorbikes and cycles. The Musée de l'Impression sur Étoffes is also very interesting, highlighting Mulhouse's history and evolution of textile printing. The Musée des Beaux-Arts offers a fine selection of European works of art from the Middle Ages to the contemporary period. The EDF Electropolis Museum, dedicated to the history of electricity, is a unique museum offering interactive and exciting exhibitions for the whole family. The Musée du Papier Peint in Rixheim houses exceptional collections of wallpapers and decorative art objects. The Zoological and Botanical Park in Mulhouse is a must-see, with more than 1,200 animals and 3,500 plant species. Finally, to the north of Mulhouse, the Écomusée d'Alsace offers an immersion into traditional rural life in Alsace, with authentic reconstructed houses and buildings, gardens and animals. Ask your rental car supplier in advance if they permit you to cross the border.
Top international routes
- Palma de Mallorca
Most popular types of rental car
- Station wagons - from $80 per day
- Large cars - from $202 per day
- Medium cars - from $68 per day
- Vans - from $296 per day
- Premium cars - from $250 per day
- Small cars - from $129 per day
- SUVs - from $76 per day
Car rental desks
Services and facilities
Nearest gas station
Popular one-way rentals
- Zürich (91 km / 56 mi)
- Geneva (257 km / 160 mi)
- Stuttgart (268 km / 166 mi)
- Lyon (409 km / 254 mi)
- Lugano (270 km / 168 mi)
- Munich (398 km / 247 mi)
Top 7 Locations near Basel Airport
Car Rental at Bern Airport from $338.56 per day76.0 km / 47.2 miles away
Car Rental at Zurich Airport from $79.04 per day78.3 km / 48.7 miles away
84.3 km / 52.4 miles away
Car Rental at St.Gallen–Altenrhein Airport from $101.73 per day153.3 km / 95.3 miles away
Car Rental at Geneva Airport from $66.34 per day185.5 km / 115.3 miles away
Car Rental in Geneva (Downtown) from $162.17 per day186.3 km / 115.8 miles away
Car Rental at Geneva Train Station from $141.11 per day186.6 km / 115.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
When are car rental prices the lowest at Basel Airport?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
For how long do renters keep their vehicles at Basel Airport?
What is the most popular time of year to rent a car at Basel Airport?
Car Rental Information
|Popular suppliers||Alamo, Europcar, Enterprise, SIXT, Hertz|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Medium cars, Vans|
|Lowest price||$68 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Fiat 500||2||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Hertz||Citroen C3||5||2||Small cars|
|Alamo||Mercedes Benz A Class||4||1||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.