Car Rental in Puerto Rico
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Puerto Rico?
A typically idyllic Caribbean destination, Puerto Rico is famous for its scenic beaches, surfing, and nightlife. A territory belonging to the United States, the island also boasts a long and interesting history, delicious cuisine, and an underexplored, but beautiful, mountainous interior. Getting a rental car is the surest way to explore everything that this magnificent place has to offer.
Top ways to enter Puerto Rico
- San Juan Airport: Also known as Luis Muñoz Marín Airport and Isle Verde Airport, it is the main port of entry for most visitors of Puerto Rico. The airport hosts tens of flights to destinations in the United States, the Caribbean, and the rest of the Americas. Located on the northeastern coast of the island, the airport is only about a ten-minute drive from San Juan.
- Aguadilla Airport: Also known as Aguadilla-Rafael Hernandez, the other, much smaller international airport of Puerto Rico has flights to and from a number of destinations in the U.S., including New York City and Orlando, as well as the neighboring island country of the Dominican Republic.
- By boat: There is a commercial ferry service between Mayagüez on the western coast of Puerto Rico and Santo Domingo, the capital of the Dominican Republic. Rental cars are not permitted on the boat, but you can pick one up after arriving in Puerto Rico.
Top cities and places to visit
- San Juan. The largest and oldest city in Puerto Rico, San Juan is naturally one of the island’s main attractions. An old maritime hub, the city has well-preserved colonial architecture, as well as many of Puerto Rico’s most interesting museums and historic sites, including famous Spanish forts. Many of the island’s most popular beaches are also near the capital.
- Aguadilla. Puerto Rico is all about the beach and one of the best places to enjoy it is the western Porta del Sol region. Its main settlement, Aguadilla, is a surfing and diving paradise with opportunities for everyone from beginners to pros. The drive from San Juan along the island’s northern coast takes only two hours, so Aguadilla can even be visited on a day trip from the capital.
- Ponce. The second-largest city in Puerto Rico, Ponce is a really interesting place to visit. The city is known for its unique architecture, including the Parque de Bombas fire station, Guadeloupe Cathedral, and Wiechers-Villaronga mansion. The city is also not short on cultural attractions like the Museum of Puerto Rican Museum, Ponce Art Museum, and the Indigenous Ceremonial Center. Located just a short trip away is the eerie, but fascinating Caja de Muertos (Deadman’s Chest or Coffin Island) with its abandoned lighthouse, snorkeling spots, and hiking trails (though you cannot bring a rental car, you can drop it off at the port and pick it up after returning).
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Puerto Rico is the Nissan Sentra; many travelers also go for the Nissan Versa and the Hyundai Accent. The most popular rental car types are intermediate, compact, and economy.
Driver license requirements
- Puerto Rico generally recognizes all foreign licenses printed in the Latin alphabet, provided that you are a tourist who stays for less than three months. If you are staying in Puerto Rico longer or reside there permanently, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers under the age of 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Puerto Rico is an island and therefore has no land borders. The most convenient way to arrive on the island is by flying. You may also take the aforementioned ferry from the Dominican Republic, but it doesn’t permit bringing a vehicle along. If you plan to take the ferry, check to see if you need a visa to enter either the Dominican Republic or the US territory of Puerto Rico (the entrance requirements for Puerto Rico are the same as that of the rest of the US).
Most popular types of rental car
- El Yunque National Forest. One of the finest natural attractions on the island, El Yunque is situated near the island’s northeastern coast. Much of the rainforest can be explored by car, making it one of the nicest drives in the country. The forest is home to a variety of flora and fauna, as well as a unique art gallery known for its organic paintings.
- Guánica State Forest. Another biosphere reserve, Guánica is at the other end Puerto Rico, located near the island’s southwestern point. A dry forest, it also looks and feels very different from the lushness of El Yunque and is home to many species of birds that cannot be found anywhere else on the island. The forest is roughly between the cities of Mayaguez and Ponce; the trip from San Juan takes two hours.
Top driving routes
There are several good methods to find a cheaper rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Puerto Rico is the cheapest in November when renting a car is about 73% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 90% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $78 per day
- Medium cars - from $61 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $139 per day
- Small cars - from $58 per day
- SUVs - from $94 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Puerto Rico?
What’s the average rental length in Puerto Rico?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Puerto Rico?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Small cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Nissan Versa||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Kia Rio||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Nissan Note||4||1||Small cars|
|NUCarrentals||Kia Rio||4||2||Small cars|
|NUCarrentals||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Jeep Wrangler||4||4||Large cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Ford Transit Minibus||3||5||People Carriers/Vans|
|Ace Rent a car||Nissan Sentra||4||1||Large cars|