Car Rental in Barbados
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Barbados?
One of the most interesting countries in the Caribbean, Barbados is a great place to explore. The island is small enough that any place can be easily accessed by car and harbors not just a stunning coastline, but also a surprisingly diverse culture and protected nature areas.
Top ways to enter Barbados
Grantley Adams Airport. Also called simply Barbados Airport, it is the port of entry for all international visitors to Barbados. Named after the first premier of the country, the airport has flights by around 15 different airlines connecting it with destinations all across the Caribbean, as well as in the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany. The airport is on the southeast coast of Barbados, about a 30-minute drive from the capital, Bridgetown, and can be easily accessed from anywhere on the island.
Top cities and places to visit
- Beaches. Like with other destinations in the region, the number one attraction of Barbados is its idyllic coastline. On top of sunbathing and swimming in the Caribbean, the island also offers some of the best diving on the planet with plenty of reefs and even some shipwrecks to explore. The south coast of Barbados, meanwhile, is known as a surfing mecca.
- Bridgetown. Bridgetown is not just the political center of Barbados, it is also one of its main tourist attractions. Attractions include the old port area known as the Careenage, Barbados Museum (located inside a former military prison), Nidhe Israel Synagogue, and even the George Washington House (Barbados was the only foreign country that the founding father visited).
- Barbados Wildlife Reserve. Located in the north-central part of the island, Barbados Wildlife Reserve is the biggest animal sanctuary on the island. Most species kept at the reserve are not dangerous to humans and thus walk freely among the visitors — these include different varieties of monkeys, birds, and iguanas. The wildlife reserve is just a 20-minute drive from Andromeda Gardens, one of the nicest green areas on Barbados.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Barbados is the Hyundai i10, closely followed by the Kia Picanto and the Chevrolet Spark.
Driver license requirements
- Barbados recognizes foreign driver’s licenses if they are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting for tourism purposes. If you’re a permanent resident of Barbados, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is in another alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Even if you have an IDP, you still need to also provide your valid driver’s license from your country
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Barbados is an Economy, but Mini and Premium are also frequently picked.
Top driving routes
- Caves. The island of Barbados is composed mainly of limestone which has led to hundreds of natural caves being formed — and some have been turned into tourist attractions. These include the Animal Flower Cave (located near the island’s northernmost point, about a 45-minute drive from Bridgetown), as well as Harrison’s and Coles Cave (located in the inland part of Barbados, about 25 minutes northeast of Bridgetown).
- Rum tour. Barbados is one of the birthplaces of rum — the famous pirate drunk holds a special place in the national mythology — and it is still being made on the island and exported to places across the world. There are a number of distilleries on the island that offer tours, such as Mount Gay and West Indies, and are quite popular among visitors. Even if you’re driving and cannot taste the beverage, it’s still interesting to learn about the rum-making history and modern techniques. Some distilleries have lodging next to them, so you park the car before the tour and stay for the night.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $101 per day
- Large cars - from $69 per day
- Medium cars - from $51 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $89 per day
- Small cars - from $49 per day
- SUVs - from $81 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Barbados:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Barbados is the cheapest in October when renting a car is up to 75% cheaper than the yearly average.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Barbados?
What’s the average rental length in Barbados?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Barbados?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Europcar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Kia Rio||5||2||Medium cars|
|Europcar||Kia Cerato||4||2||Large cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Toyota RAV4||4||3||SUVs|
|SIXT||Mini Moke Aut.||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Mercedes Viano Ambiente||5||4||People Carriers/Vans|
|Ace Rent a car||Suzuki Jimny||4||2||SUVs|
|Ace Rent a car||Chevrolet Spark 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Chevrolet Spark 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Suzuki Dzire||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.