Car Rental in Aruba
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Aruba?
Probably the best known of the Dutch Caribbean islands, Aruba is a famous beach vacation destination. The island’s 68km (42 miles) of scenic coastline offer not only swimming and sunbathing but also opportunities for scuba diving and other water sports. On top of that, Aruba has protected nature areas, caves, and even notable historic sites all waiting to be explored.
Top ways to enter Aruba
- Queen Beatrix Airport: Named after the Dutch female monarch who abdicated in 2013, Queen Beatrix Airport hosts flights of about 25 different airlines. In addition to providing connections with other Caribbean destinations, the airport also offers connections with the Netherlands, the United States, Canada, Panama, Colombia, and other countries. The airport, located near the island’s western coast, is only a five-minute drive from Oranjestad.
Top cities and places to visit
- Beaches. Known for their golden sands and turquoise waters, the beaches of Aruba are definitely the island’s number one attraction. Thanks to its small size, any point of the coast can be easily and quickly accessed from anywhere else on the island. While it would be impossible to name them all, Baby Beach and Eagle Beach look like they are straight out of a Caribbean postcard.
- Fort Zoutman and the Historical Museum. One of the most notable buildings in Oranjestad, the capital of Aruba, Fort Zoutman was built in the late 18th century to defend the city against pirates. Today it is also an important reminder of slavery on the island during the colonial times (made of stone and coral, the fort was built by the slaves who were brought from West Africa). If you wish to learn more about it, nowadays the fort houses the Historical Museum dedicated to different chapters of Aruba’s past.
- Hadicurari Beach. Also known as the Fisherman’s Huts, Hadicurari is known as a windsurfing paradise. A world championship takes place here every year in June and different types of pro surfing take place year-round. Whether you want to hit the waves yourself or just enjoy the spectacle, it is a fun place to visit.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Aruba is the Hyundai Accent, followed by the Kia Picanto and the Hyundai i10. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and standard.
Driver's license requirements
- Aruba recognizes foreign driver’s licenses as long as they are printed in either Dutch or English. If your driver’s license is in another language, you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your driver’s license.
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also bring your original driver’s license from your home country as you will be required to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Aruba is an island and has no land borders.
Part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Aruba has the status of a special member state territory of the European Union (EU). The country can be visited visa-free by the citizens of the European Union, as well as travelers from most (although not all) other Western and North and South American countries.
While many cruise ships stop at Aruba, there is no ferry service between the island and any of the neighboring islands or the nearest mainland countries, Venezuela and Colombia.
Top driving routes
- Hooiberg. Meaning the Haystack in Dutch, Aruba’s highest point stands at a relatively modest 165m (540 feet) above sea level, but such is its elevation in comparison to the rest of the island that it can be seen from anywhere else on Aruba. As it is easy to climb, ascending the hilltop means getting to enjoy great views of the land and ocean below — and the nearby coast of South America is said to be visible on a clear day.
- Arikok National Park. The only national park in Aruba, Arikok is also one of its most popular tourist attractions. Located on the island’s western coast and taking up nearly one-fifth of its territory, it is known for its impressive volcanic formations, natural pools, caves, hiking trails, and a variety of flora and fauna. If you want to drive to the Natural Pool, you will need to have a 4x4 vehicle or join a tour. Do not attempt to bring a small car.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $42 per day
- Medium cars - from $35 per day
- Vans - from $120 per day
- Premium cars - from $168 per day
- Small cars - from $29 per day
- SUVs - from $95 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Aruba is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 35% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 59% cheaper than renting a car in December.
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Aruba?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Aruba?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Aruba?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||8|
|Popular suppliers||Avis, All Drive Car Rental, Smart Rent Aruba, SIXT, Budget|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, Vans, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$29 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Avis||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|All Drive Car Rental||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|All Drive Car Rental||Kia Rio||4||2||Medium cars|
|Smart Rent Aruba||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Avis||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Economy rent a car||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Smart Rent Aruba||Hyundai H-1||4||2||Vans|
|Smart Rent Aruba||Hyundai H-1||4||3||Vans|
|SIXT||Hyundai Accent||4||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai I10||4||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.