Car Rental in Albania
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Albania?
Located in the Balkan region of Southeast Europe, Albania remains something of a mystery to many international travelers, although its status as a tourism destination has been growing steadily over the last decade. Those who visit Albania discover a long and beautiful Adriatic and Ionian coastline, but also a rich culture and some of the most hospitable people anywhere. The country’s mountains, meanwhile, are among the most rugged and wild in Europe.
One-way Car Rentals in Albania
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Albania and drop off in another country:
- From Albania to Montenegro - 7 offers from Kč 976.06 per day
- From Albania to Croatia - 21 offers from Kč 1269.19 per day
- From Albania to Kosovo - 4 offers from Kč 1060.80 per day
Top ways to enter Albania
- Tirana Airport: The only international airport in the country, Tirana Mother Teresa Airport handled 3.3 million passengers in 2019. The airport is served by more than 20 airlines, including low-cost carriers like Wizz Air and easyJet, providing connections with the rest of Europe, as well as some destinations in the Middle East. Located some 18km (11 miles) northwest of the city center, the airport can be reached in about 30 minutes.
- By ship: There is an active ferry service between Albania and many destinations in Italy, as well as the nearby Ionian Islands that belong to Greece. If you arrive in Albania by ship, it is possible to pick up a rental car at the Port of Sarandë in the far south of the country.
- By land: Most rental car providers do not permit entering or leaving Albania with a rental car (read more about this in the ‘Crossing Borders’ section below). However, you can fly to a neighboring country, go to Albania via public transport and then pick up a rental car after arriving in the country. Some notable international airports within a few hours’ drive of Albania include Thessaloniki Airport in Greece, Skopje Airport in North Macedonia, and Podgorica and Tivat airports in Montenegro.
Top cities and places to visit
- Tirana. The capital of Albania is the country’s main economic, cultural, and entertainment center. Tirana is home to a wealth of beautiful mosques, as well as Catholic and Orthodox churches, and is the location of Albania’s best museums. The mountains that surround it offer panoramic views of the city below.
- Gjirokastër. Located in the southeastern part of the country about a three-hour drive from the capital, the whole town of Gjirokastër is a UNESCO World Heritage site. The area is famous for its well-preserved Ottoman-era architecture best exemplified by Gjirokastër Citadel, an impressive fortress that’s almost 1,000 years old. Other attractions include historic Ottoman manors and the old city bazaar.
- Vlorë. Located on the way from Tirana and Gjirokastër, Vlorë is one of the most popular coastal towns in the country. Located near the place where the Adriatic and Ionian seas meet, it is known for its splendid beaches, but also the surrounding caves, natural springs, and ancient Illyrian sites.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Albania is the Volkswagen Up, although many travelers also go for the Fiat Panda and the Hyundai i10. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
Driver license requirements
- Albania normally recognizes foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are printed in a Latin alphabet and are not expired. You also need to be a tourist — if you’re a foreigner residing in Albania permanently, you need to acquire the local driver’s license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Albania has land borders with Montenegro, Kosovo, North Macedonia, and Greece. Although located in Europe, Albania is not a member of the European Union (EU) and, with the exception of Greece, neither are its neighboring countries. People from the EU and most western countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, Australia) do not need a visa for short-term visits to either Albania or any of its neighbors. However, if you come from another part of the world, you might need separate visas to visit one or several of these countries. Do consult your Ministry of Foreign Affairs before your trip.
Since Albania is not a part of the larger border agreement, most car rental suppliers do not permit one-way rentals between the country and any of its neighbors. There are, however, some exceptions — you can find them by entering your car pick-up and drop-off locations on our search. One-way rentals are more expensive as they include an additional fee, but they add flexibility to your trip.
There are no toll roads in Albania.
The Adriatic-Ionian Motorway, currently under construction, might become a toll road after it is completed. Also known as the Blue Corridor, it will connect Trieste in Italy to Kalamata in Greece. The Adriatic-Ionian Motorway will cross Albania from the border with Montenegro in the north to the border with Greece in the south.
Top driving routes
- Albanian Riviera. Incorporating the aforementioned Vlorë, but also much more, the coastal stretch of Albanian Riviera (or simply Bregu, as it is known in Albanian) is one of the nicest road-trips in the country. In addition to idyllic beach towns, you’ll also find the mountain pass of Llogara and the national park of the same name, the tidal Narta Lagoon which is a birdwatcher’s paradise, and many archaeological sites surviving from Ancient Greek and Roman times.
- Albanian Alps. Also known as the Cursed Mountains due to their historic inaccessibility, this highland range is nowadays one of the truly majestic destinations in Albania. Located in the northeastern part of the country along the borders with Montenegro and Kosovo, they are made up of stunning peaks, deep river canyons, and some of the most impressive driving routes in the country.
- Lure National Park. Part of the Central Mountain Range to the south of the Albanian Alps, Lure is another great place to visit. The protected nature area is known for its twelve glacial lakes considered among the most beautiful in this part of Europe. The long valleys and wooded hillsides are inhabited by animals such as lynxes, deer, eagles, and capercaillies.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $98 per day
- Large cars - from $69 per day
- Medium cars - from $62 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $98 per day
- Small cars - from $49 per day
- SUVs - from $93 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Albania is the cheapest in March when renting a car is about 74% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 89% cheaper than renting a car in September.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Albania?
What’s the average rental length in Albania?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Albania?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Citroen C1||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|Target Rent||Ford Fiesta||4||3||Small cars|
|Optimo Rent||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||VW Polo 3d||3||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Citroen C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Target Rent||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|