Car Hire in Albania
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Albania?
Remaining something of a mystery to most foreign visitors, but increasingly accessible, Albania is a fascinating place to explore. In addition to its wild nature and hospitable people, the country is also home to ancient sites and some of the nicest beaches in this part of the continent.
One-way Car Hire in Albania
Here are the most popular one-way car hire options for pickup in Albania and drop off in another country:
- From Albania to Montenegro - 7 offers from £ 33.65 per day
- From Albania to Croatia - 21 offers from £ 43.75 per day
- From Albania to Kosovo - 4 offers from £ 36.57 per day
Top ways to enter Albania
- Tirana Nënë Tereza Airport. Serving the national capital, Tirana Airport is by far the main entry point for foreign visitors. The airport gets especially busy during the summer months when it has flights by more than 25 different airlines.
- Kukës Airport. Located in the northeast of the country, the much smaller Kukës Airport provides connections with several destinations in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
Top cities and places to visit
- Tirana. The capital and the primate city, Tirana is naturally also one of Albania’s finest tourist destinations. Varied religious heritage and interesting architecture are combined with a lively contemporary cultural life, and the city’s central location also makes it a great hub for exploring the rest of the country.
- Berat. Primarily known for its finely-preserved Ottoman architecture, Berat has been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage site. Attractions include the city’s Old Town (traditionally divided into Muslim and Christian quarters), the mighty mountaintop castle of Kalaja, and several interesting museums.
- Albanian Riviera. The name of the Albanian Riviera is given to the Ionian Sea coast in the country’s southwest (Albanians also call it simply Bregu or the Coast). Many of the country’s most scenic beaches can be found here, though make sure to also check out the Llogara National Park and Karaburun-Sazan National Marine Park, two hotspots of biodiversity.
Most popular hire car
The most hired car in Albania is the Volkswagen Up, followed by the Skoda Fabia and the Citroen C3. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and standard.
Driving licence requirements
- Albania normally recognizes foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are printed in the Latin alphabet and are not expired. You also need to be a tourist — if you’re a foreigner residing in Albania permanently, you need to acquire a local driver’s license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Albania has land borders with Montenegro, Kosovo, North Macedonia, and Greece. Although located in Europe, Albania is not a member of the European Union (EU) and, with the exception of Greece, neither are its neighbouring countries. People from the EU and most western countries (e.g., the United States, Canada, Australia) do not need a visa for short-term visits to either Albania or any of its neighbours. However, if you come from another part of the world, you might need separate visas to visit one or several of these countries. Do consult your Ministry of Foreign Affairs before your trip.
Since Albania is not a part of the larger border agreement, most car hire suppliers do not permit one-way hires between the country and any of its neighbours. There are, however, some exceptions — you can find them by entering your car pick-up and drop-off locations on our search. One-way trips are more expensive as they include an additional fee, but they add flexibility to your trip.
Top driving routes
- Korçë. Located near the border with Greece and North Macedonia, Korçë is the centre of the Greek community in Albania and one of the most culturally interesting cities in the country. Attractions include the Museum of Medieval Art, many heritage buildings, and the surrounding Moravia mountainscape. Korçë is also a gateway to the Prespa lakes and national park that are immediately to the northeast.
- Lurë-Dejë National Park. Located in the country’s northeastern corner, Lurë-Dejë is primarily known for its majestic highland scenery. The mountains are covered by thick forests and are also home to no less than 14 glacial lakes. The park’s remote location means it takes some time to get to, and not all of the mountain roads are in good shape — the trip is definitely not for the faint-hearted, though it can ultimately be very rewarding. To get around the national park itself, you might need a 4x4 vehicle.
Car Hire Prices
- Station wagons - starting at £ 54 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 78 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 67 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 140 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 57 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 112 per day
How can I save money on my hire car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper car for hire:
- Compare rates of different car hire providers
- Book your vehicle well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit in the month when the car hire prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Albania is the cheapest in March when hiring a car is a whole 70% cheaper than the yearly average.
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Albania?
How many days do people keep their hire cars, on average, in Albania?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Albania?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|ABBYCAR||Ford Fiesta||4||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||Volkswagen Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Volkswagen Polo||3||2||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Mitsubishi Space Star||5||1||Small cars|
|ACARENT||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Citroen C1||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.