Car Rental in Illinois
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Illinois?
Illinois is a great place for renting a car. Chicago, the third-largest city in the US is an ever-popular destination. But the state has a trove of other places that make for a great trip.
One-way Car Rentals in Illinois
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Illinois and drop off in another country:
- From Illinois to California - 104 offers from $108.73 per day
- From Illinois to New York - 48 offers from $84.33 per day
- From Illinois to Florida - 67 offers from $107.87 per day
- From Illinois to Iowa - 21 offers from $130.60 per day
- From Illinois to Colorado - 39 offers from $85.34 per day
Top ways to enter Illinois
- Chicago O’Hare Airport: O’Hare is among the busiest airports in the US and connects Chicago to destinations in all parts of North America and major cities in Europe.
- Chicago Midway Airport: Located southwest of Central Chicago, Midway Airport has flights to and from destinations all over the US, as well as in Central America and the Caribbean.
- By land: You can also pick up a rental car in a nearby state and then drive to Illinois. Some large airports near Illinois include St. Louis Airport in Missouri, Detroit Airport in Michigan, and Milwaukee Airport in Wisconsin.
Top cities and places to visit
Chicago: America’s third-largest city is rich in culture and atmosphere, so much so that it ends up being the favorite U.S. destination of many international travelers.
Peoria: Both proud and hospitable, Peoria is famous for its regional museum, botanical gardens, and Wildlife Prairie State Park.
Cahokia Mounds: A World Heritage Site, Cahokia Mounds was was once the center of the Mississippian Culture and still shows traces of pre-Columbian Native American life.
Shawnee National Forest: Located near the state border with Missouri, Shawnee has unique rock formations and great hiking trails.
Galena: This cozy town on the Mississippi experienced its golden age in the 19th Century, and traces of that time can still be seen in its museums and the Old Market House. It makes a great day trip from Chicago.
Most popular rental car
The most often picked rental car in Illinois is the Nissan Rogue, although travelers also like the Toyota Corolla and the Jeep Wrangler a lot.
While Illinois doesn't border Canada, the country could be reached through Wisconsin and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (or Minnesota). Some rental companies allow their cars to be taken to Canada (some may require extra insurance or roadside assistance to do such). Routes and Sixt are two that certainly don't.
At the same time, Illinois borders six states. With all rental companies, except Routes, you can drive to each of these states. Note that with Sixt, you are only allowed to drive to certain states in the Midwest (including all of the states neighboring Illinois.
If renting from Routes, you are not allowed to leave the state with the vehicle without prior permission which will come with an additional fee and limited mileage.
The Chicago area (stretching into the rest of the northern part of the state) has a few different interstates that are tolled including portions of I-88, I-90, I-294, I-355, and IL-390. In addition, there is a connection between the northwest border of Indiana and the center of Chicago via a bridge known as the Chicago Skyway.
Outside of the northern part of the state, there are no toll roads.
While you may see some old information stating that you can pay with cash at toll booths in Illinois, this is outdated. The state permanently ended the acceptance of cash in 2021 (it started during the covid pandemic).
You must now either have an I-Pass transponder or use the Pay-by-Plate system. This means that if you don't have a transponder and pass through a toll gate, you can go online and use the license plate of the car to pay for the toll (though it will cost more). You must make the payment within 14 days of traveling on the road.
Rental companies offer toll pass packages that include a transponder. However, they usually charge a hefty daily fee for it. While it makes things more convenient, you may be better off not taking it and paying the tolls on your own online.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car types in Illinois are intermediate, fullsize, and special.
Top driving routes
- Chicago - Columbus, Ohio (357 mi / 574 km) The nearby Ohio state’s capital and largest city, Columbus is about five and a half hour drive away from Chicago.
- Chicago - St. Louis, Missouri (296 mi / 476 km) One of the great cities of U.S. Midwest, St. Louis is just a four and a half hour drive away from Chicago, making it a great next travel stop.
- Chicago - Toronto (521 mi / 838 km) Canada’s largest city can be reached in about eight hours, but you can split the route into two or three days if you decide to also visit Detroit that’ll be on the way. Note that if you’re coming from Chicago to Toronto, you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $105 per day
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $46 per day
- Vans - from $110 per day
- Premium cars - from $88 per day
- Small cars - from $46 per day
- SUVs - from $48 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Illinois:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Illinois is the cheapest in December when renting a car is about 16% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 6 Most Popular Cities in Illinois
Car Rental in Chicago from $46.13 per day
Car Rental in Bloomington from $76.60 per day
Car Rental in Peoria from $76.60 per day
Car Rental in Rockford from $79.59 per day
Car Rental in Springfield from $76.60 per day
Car Rental in Moline from $76.60 per day
Top 6 Most Popular Locations in Illinois
Car Rental at Chicago O’Hare Airport from $46.13 per day
Car Rental at Chicago Midway Airport MDW from $53.24 per day
Car Rental in Chicago Schiller Park from $154.39 per day
Car Rental at Peoria International Airport from $76.60 per day
Car Rental at Chicago Rockford Int. Airport from $79.59 per day
Car Rental at Quad City International Airport from $76.60 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Illinois?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Illinois?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Illinois?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||12|
|Popular suppliers||Routes Car Rental, Dollar, Thrifty, Europcar, Alamo|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Large cars, Medium cars, Small cars|
|Lowest price||$46 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Routes Car Rental||Kia Sorento||5||1||SUVs|
|Routes Car Rental||Dodge Durango||5||3||SUVs|
|Dollar||Mazda 3||5||3||Large cars|
|Dollar||Ford Focus||4||2||Medium cars|
|Thrifty||Mazda 3||5||3||Large cars|
|Routes Car Rental||Jeep Gladiator||4||5||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.