Car Rental in Slovenia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Slovenia?
Slovenia is a great place to discover by car. Small and beautiful, it has such different destination as the Dinaric Alps, medieval towns, and the Adriatic Coast, not to mention equally interesting neighbors that are easy to reach. Having your own ride is the best bet to see it all.
One-way Car Rentals in Slovenia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Slovenia and drop off in another country:
- From Slovenia to Italy - 129 offers from US$ 42.48 per day
- From Slovenia to Croatia - 98 offers from US$ 56.93 per day
- From Slovenia to Austria - 62 offers from US$ 56.93 per day
- From Slovenia to Germany - 9 offers from US$ 89.19 per day
- From Slovenia to Albania - 42 offers from US$ 97.28 per day
Top ways to enter Slovenia
- Ljubljana Airport: By far the largest Slovenia’s airport, it hosts flights to and from many destinations in Europe and beyond.
- Maribor Edvard Rusjan Airport: As of January 2019, Maribor Airport is currently defunct, but it might host flights again in the near future.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Slovenia. Some large international airports near Slovenia are Vienna Airport in Austria, Venice Airport in Italy, and Zagreb Airport in Croatia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Ljubljana: Although not as well known as some larger cities in Slovenia’s neighboring countries, Ljubljana is one of Europe’s most picturesque capitals.
- Coastal Slovenia: The Slovenia’s coast might not be long, but it’s a fun place to visit during summers, as are its vineyards and karst caves.
- Bled: One of the smallest towns in the world mentioned as a top destination by Lonely Planet, Bled mixes mountain scenery with castles and churches.
- The Alps: Great destination for skiing and snowboarding in winter, and hiking along the alpine lakes in summer, Slovenian mountains are just as interesting to visit as those in nearby Austria and Italy.
- Celje: One of the oldest cities in the land, Celje’s architecture is beautiful and diverse, telling the story of its varied history.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Slovenia is the Opel Corsa, but the VW Golf and the Volkswagen Up are also frequently picked by travelers.
Slovenia is bordered by Austria, Hungary, Croatia, and Italy. Just like Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, and Italy are members of the Schengen Area, so if you’ve entered Slovenia with a Schengen Visa, you can also visit any of these three other countries with it. Although Croatia is a member of the European Union (EU), it is not a member of the Schengen Area and has its entry requirements. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to visit Croatia. We strongly advise you getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs to find out whether you need a visa to visit Croatia.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Slovenia is Intermediate, followed by Compact and Economy.
Top driving routes
- Ljubljana - Zagreb (143 km / 89 mi) The route between the two capital cities can be done in just under two hours, although you might be tempted to make a stop in the charming Slovenian town of Novo Mesto or in Samobor just across the border. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it. You’ll also have to leave/enter the Schengen Area, so make sure that you have the right visa if they are required to enter the Schengen Area or Croatia for the citizens of your country. Although Croatia is a member state of the European Union, as of 2019 it is not yet a member of the Schengen Area. It is expected to join in 2020.
- Ljubljana - Venice (241 km / 150 mi) Ageless Venice is just a short three hour ride southeast of Slovenia’s capital. Once you’ve visited there, other beautiful Italian cities like Padua, Verona, and even Milan are also within your reach. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
- Ljubljana - Vienna (384 km / 238 mi) Beautiful Vienna is just four hours drive north of Ljubljana, and there are many opportunities for fun detours in the way, such as Bleda in Slovenia and Klagenfurt or Graz in Austria. Note that you’ll have to cross a national border, so check with your car rental provider first to make sure they allow it.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $43 per day
- Large cars - from $47 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $59 per day
- Premium cars - from $71 per day
- Small cars - from $19 per day
- SUVs - from $37 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Slovenia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest.
- According to our data, visiting Slovenia is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 69% cheaper than in November.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Slovenia?
What’s the average rental length in Slovenia?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Slovenia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|SIXT||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||VW Up!||3||Small cars|
|Alamo||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Opel Astra||4||1||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Opel Astra Aut.||5||1||Medium cars|
|Alamo||VW Golf||5||3||Medium cars|
|Alamo||Renault Grand Scenic||4||3||People Carriers/Vans|