Car Rental in Slovenia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Slovenia?
Slovenia is a great place to explore. From its cozy capital, Ljubljana which is quickly becoming one of Europe’s favorite city getaways to majestic mountains and from lakeside towns like Bled to its own stretch of the Adriatic sea, this small country punches way above its weight when it comes to tourist attractions.
One-way Car Rentals in Slovenia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Slovenia and drop off in another country:
- From Slovenia to Italy - 129 offers from $39.44 per day
- From Slovenia to Croatia - 98 offers from $52.86 per day
- From Slovenia to Austria - 62 offers from $52.86 per day
- From Slovenia to Germany - 9 offers from $82.81 per day
- From Slovenia to Albania - 42 offers from $90.32 per day
Top ways to enter Slovenia
- Ljubljana Airport: By far the largest of Slovenia’s airport, it hosts flights to and from many destinations in Europe and beyond.
- Maribor Edvard Rusjan Airport: As of February 2023, Maribor Airport is currently mostly used by flight schools for training purposes.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Slovenia. Some large international airports near Slovenia are Vienna Airport in Austria, Venice Airport in Italy, and Zagreb Airport in Croatia.
Top cities and places to visit
- Ljubljana. The Slovenian capital might be quite small if compared to nearby Vienna or Zagreb, but that doesn’t stop it from being one of the most picturesque cities in Europe. A place with plenty of culture and creativity, Ljubljana is also known for its well-preserved Old Town, Ljubljana Castle, and the Dragon Bridge.
- Bled. Probably the smallest town ever to make the Lonely Planet’s list of the world’s top 200 cities, Bled is on the shore of a lake of the same name (there’s an island in the lake that is also considered a part of the town). Attracting visitors with its fairytale look and stunning natural surroundings, Bled is known for its hilltop castle and for providing access to many outdoor activities like paragliding, hiking, and canyoning.
- Coast. Although only 46km (29 miles) long, the Slovenian coast is one of the most interesting parts of the country. Strongly influenced by the neighboring Venetians who ruled the area for 500 years, the region is known not just for its beaches and scenic coastal towns, but also delicious food, caves, and karst formations.
- Logar Valley. This remote valley in the Kamnik-Savinja Alps is one of the most beautiful destinations in Slovenia for hiking and cycling. It’s an hour and a half drive from Ljubljana to Logar Valley. While in Solčavsko region, also visit the neighboring valleys of Robanov Kot and Matkov Kot.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Slovenia is the Opel Corsa, but the VW Golf and the Volkswagen Up are also frequently picked by travelers.
Driver's license requirements
- Slovenia recognizes foreign driver’s licenses if they are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re visiting on a longer trip or if you’re a permanent resident of the country, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is in another alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Even if you have an IDP, you still need to also provide your valid driver’s license from your country
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Slovenia is bordered by Austria, Hungary, Croatia, and Italy. Just like Slovenia, Austria, Hungary, Italy, and Croatia are members of the Schengen Area, so if you’ve entered Slovenia with a Schengen Visa, you can also visit any of these four countries with it.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Slovenia is Intermediate, followed by Compact and Economy.
Top driving routes
- Triglav National Park. Slovenia’s only national park, the impressive Triglavski Narodni Park welcomes more than 2 million visitors every year. Best known for Mount Triglav, the highest mountain in Slovenia, the park attracts hikers and climbers throughout the summer season. It takes 50 minutes to drive from Ljubljana and only 15 minutes from Bled to the border of the national park.
- Solčava panoramic road. This 37 km scenic road links together historic farmsteads, viewpoints, and valleys in the Solčava Region. The panoramic road begins in the village of Solčavsko, nestled in the upper region of the Savinja Valley.
- Eastern Slovenia. Bordering Austria and Hungary, the off-the-beaten-track northeast of the country has its fair share of delights for a curious traveler to explore. These include Maribor, the capital of the region and the second-largest city in the country, but also Slovenia’s best vineyards, Goričko landscape park, and landmarks like Ptuj Castle.
- Bovec. Located just outside the Triglav National Park, little Bovec might only have a permanent population of about 1,600 people, but every year many visitors arrive here to enjoy the excellent white-water rafting and kayaking opportunities down the swift Soča River which flows through the mountain town. Bovec is located very close to Italy and it’s possible to pop over the border for a visit if your rental car supplier permits it. To get to Bovec, drive across Vršič Pass (1611 m), only open when the pass is snow-free, from Kranjska Gora.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $18 per day
- Large cars - from $21 per day
- Medium cars - from $13 per day
- Vans - from $73 per day
- Premium cars - from $50 per day
- Small cars - from $12 per day
- SUVs - from $18 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Slovenia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest.
- According to our data, visiting Slovenia is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 69% cheaper than in November.
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Slovenia?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Slovenia?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Slovenia?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||19|
|Popular suppliers||Flizzr, SIXT, Garage Nr1 Slovenia, Autounion, Carwiz|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Station wagons|
|Lowest price||$12 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Flizzr||Fiat 500||2||1||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Toyota Yaris Cross||5||2||SUVs|
|Garage Nr1 Slovenia||Toyota Aygo||4||2||Small cars|
|Flizzr||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||VW Polo Aut.||5||1||Small cars|
|Flizzr||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Fiat 500||3||0||Small cars|
|Garage Nr1 Slovenia||Opel Astra||5||2||Medium cars|
|Garage Nr1 Slovenia||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.