Car Rental in Sint Maarten
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Sint Maarten?
A Dutch territory in the Caribbean, Sint Maarten takes up the southern half of its island while the northern part belongs to the French collectivity of Saint-Martin. Significantly smaller than even the other Dutch Caribbean islands of Curacao and Aruba, Sint Maarten is a place of picturesque beaches, surprisingly varied culture, and a lot of tranquility.
Top ways to enter Sint Maarten
- Princess Juliana International Airport: Located on the Dutch side of the border, it is by far the largest airport on the island. The airport has flights by more than 20 airlines, offering connections with destinations in the rest of the Caribbean, the Americas, and Europe. Princess Juliana Airport is on the island’s western coast and can be easily and quickly accessed from anywhere else on the island.
- Grand Case-Espérance Airport: Located on the French side, this small airport offers connections with the nearby island nation of Dominica; other French Caribbean islands such as Guadeloupe, Martinique, and Saint Barthélemy; and the British Caribbean island of Anguilla (although some of the flights are only available on a seasonal basis).
- By boat: The island is connected to three nearby islands, namely, Saba (which also belongs to the Netherlands), Saint Barthélemy (which belongs to France) and Anguilla (which belongs to the United Kingdom). Most rental car suppliers do not permit taking a vehicle on a boat, but you can travel without it and pick it up after arriving on Sint Maarten.
Top cities and places to visit
- Beaches. With a Caribbean coastline of about 300km (190 miles), the island of Saint Martin is definitely not short on idyllic beaches. Highlights include the picturesque and family-friendly Maho and Mullet Bays — they are right next to each other, on the Dutch side of the island. On the French side, Orient Bay is arguably the most famous one. Despite being very developed, Saint Martin’s coastline also has some relatively secluded beaches, especially on the French side of the island.
- Pic du Paradis. Located on the French side, Paradise Peak stands at about 425m (1,395 feet) tall, making it the highest point on the island. There are two viewing platforms near the summit offering great views of the island and the sea below. The drive up the hill is actually quite steep and requires a 4x4 vehicle, but many travelers prefer to park their car at the base and climb the rest of the way. The peak is also a popular site for bird viewers.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Sint Maarten is the Nissan Versa, followed by the Hyundai Accent and the Kia Picanto. The most popular rental car types are economy, compact, and intermediate.
Driver license requirements
- Sint Maarten recognizes foreign driver’s licenses as long as they are printed in either Dutch or English, the official languages of the island. If your driver’s license is in another language, you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your driver’s license.
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also bring your original driver’s license from your home country as you will be required to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Although the island of Saint Martin is shared by France and the Netherlands, there are no formal border crossings between the two territories and visitors of one territory can easily access the other as well.
As mentioned above, there is a ferry service between the island of Saint Martin and some of the nearby islands that also belong to either the Netherlands or France, as well as Anguilla which belongs to the United Kingdom. While most rental car suppliers do not permit taking a car onboard, you can travel without it and pick it up after arriving at your destination. Keep in mind that each island has its own visa policy — while visitors from most Western countries can visit all three visa-free, requirements might be different for visitors from elsewhere.
Top driving routes
- Butterfly Farm. Located on the French side of the island near its eastern coast, the Butterfly Farm is one of the most popular attractions on the island. Visitors can see thousands of butterflies of all imaginable sizes and colors. In addition to local species, there are also butterflies from such faraway places as Indonesia, China, and Africa.
- Nature Reserve of St. Martin. Also on the French side of the border, the island’s main nature reserve takes up most of its far north. Established in 1998, it is made up of scenic hills, wetlands, and mangrove growths. It is possible to go for a walk inside the reserve, and you’ll often be accompanied by a guide who works at the reserve and can tell you more about the conservation work that they do. Many local bird species live in the area and can often be seen. These include the brown pelican, crested hummingbird, and bridled quail-dove.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $86 per day
- Medium cars - from $77 per day
- Vans - from $328 per day
- Premium cars - from $58 per day
- Small cars - from $67 per day
- SUVs - from $267 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Sint Maarten is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 55% cheaper than the yearly average.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Sint Maarten?
What’s the average rental length in Sint Maarten?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Sint Maarten?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Zoom Rent A Car||Hyundai Accent||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Hyundai Grand i10||5||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Toyota Rav4||4||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||VW Polo||4||1||Medium cars|
|Routes Car & Truck Rentals||Chevrolet Spark||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Ford Fiesta||5||Small cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Toyota Aygo||5||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|