Car Rental in London
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in London?
One of the great cities of Europe and the world, London is a place that everyone should experience at least once. Both historic, modern, diverse and yet maintaining a unique local character, its neighborhoods, buildings, and attractions can be explored for days. Getting a rental car is your best bet to see as much as possible.
One-Way Car Rentals in London
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in London and drop off in another city include:
- From London to Manchester - 307 offers from $29.37 per day
- From London to Edinburgh - 183 offers from $40.27 per day
- From London to Luton - 90 offers from $39.01 per day
- From London to Bristol - 165 offers from $40.27 per day
- From London to Glasgow - 254 offers from $31.14 per day
Top ways to enter London
- London Heathrow Airport. The largest in Europe and among the top 10 in the world, Heathrow Airport feels like a city in its own right. The airport is located just west of London.
- London Gatwick Airport. Offering flights to and from destinations all over Europe, as well as North America, the Caribbean, Africa, and Asia, Gatwick Airport serves nearly 50 million passengers every year. The airport is in West Sussex county about an hour’s drive south of London.
- London City Airport. The only international airport serving London that’s located inside the city’s boundaries, London City Airport is a base for British Airways and is also served by a handful of other airlines.
- London Stansted Airport. A huge base for Ryanair and also served by a number of other low-cost carriers, flying to Stansted is often the cheapest way to reach London. The airport itself is about an hour’s drive northeast of the city proper.
- Luton Airport. Often also branded as London Luton Airport thanks to its proximity to the capital, but located in the neighboring city of Luton, this airport is served by nine different airlines.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in London by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at many of London’s train stations. London Bridge, Croydon South, Hammersmith, Victoria, and Paddington are just some of them.
London has a temperate oceanic climate and is warmer than most of the other large cities of the United Kingdom. The average temperature is 18.7 °C (65.7 °F) in July and 5.2 °C (41.4 °F) in January. Despite its reputation for being very rainy, London actually has less precipitation than Lisbon, Rome, New York City, and Sydney.
London is made up of 32 boroughs or local authority districts. 12 boroughs are within Inner London while 20 are in Outer London. The most populous London borough is Croydon in South London.
Top destinations and activities
- Buckingham Palace. The home of the Royal family and, for many, the number one landmark of London, Buckingham Palace is only open for tours during the summer months, but even if you visit during another time of year, it’s magnificence can be observed from outside.
- British Museum. London has countless world-class museums, such as the National History Museum and Tate Modern, but the British Museum is probably the crown jewel of them all, both for its immensity and for the awesome quality of its exhibitions. From the history of the inhabitants of the British Isles to Ancient Greeks and Romans to equally impressive civilizations outside Europe, it really covers human history in its fullness.
- St. Paul’s Cathedral. Arguably the most famous Anglican church in the world, St Paul’s Cathedral is located on the site of a much older church dating back to AD 604. Rebuilt after the great fire of London in 1666, nowadays the cathedral provides an especially impressive sight when illuminated after dark.
- Natural History Museum. With a truly vast and impressive collection, the Natural History Museum stands out from its counterparts around the world. Whether you marvel at the skeletons of Diplodocus, take in the size of the blue whale, or explore specimens found by none other than Charles Darwin, this is one place that can all but guarantee to inspire awe. Better yet, there is no entrance fee. The Natural History Museum is located near two other museums, the Science Museum and the Victoria and Albert Museum of decorative arts and design.
- Notting Hill. Located in West London's wealthy Kensington & Chelsea neighborhood, this is one of the most iconic areas of London. It became popular when the famous film Notting Hill was released in 1999, featuring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant. The area itself has a wonderful blend of Georgian architecture and colorful gardens along with chic cafes and clothing stores that attract visitors from all over the world. Notting Hill is a wonderful place to spend a day just strolling around, taking in all its sights, or to enjoy some delicious cuisine in one of its many fantastic restaurants.
Traffic and parking
- The United Kingdom drives on the left-hand side of the road.
- On-street parking is usually heavily restricted. Never park on a white, double yellow or double red line (stopping on motorways and next to red lines is illegal).
- You are not allowed to use your mobile phone while driving, unless you use a hands-free system.
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 112 km/h (70 mph) on motorways, 112 km/h (70 mph) on dual carriageways, 96 km/h (60 mph) on single carriageways and 48km/h (30 mph) in residential areas and areas with street lightning.
- In England and Wales, the legal alcohol limit is 0.08% for both experienced and novice drivers. Do keep in mind, however, that in Scotland the legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines, a suspended license, or even imprisonment.
- The insurance and documentation of the car needs to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- If you’re the driver, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The emergency numbers are 999 and 112.
The main toll road in the United Kingdom is the M6 toll. Find out more on the M6 Toll official website. You also have to pay a toll for using a number of bridges and tunnels, as well as for entering the central areas of London. For example, the Dartford Crossing Bridge in East London applies the Dart charge between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. Find out more about the Dart charge on the Government website.
Find out more about toll roads in the United Kingdom on the European toll road website.
Ideas for day trips
- Windsor Castle. Claiming to be the largest and oldest occupied castle in the world, this royal residence is nearly as important as the Buckingham Palace. Besides its important inhabitants, it also houses beautiful artworks by Rembrandt, Rubens, and Canaletto. Unlike Buckingham, Windsor is open for visitors throughout the year. The castle, located in the town of the same name, is about 40 km (23 mi) west of London.
- Stonehenge. The prehistoric ring of stones has been standing since the Bronze Age. Its meaning still hasn’t been fully deciphered, which only adds to its mystery. A UNESCO World Heritage Site, it is in Wiltshire Country and can be reached from London in about two and a half hours.
- Cambridge. Home to one of the world’s most famous universities, Cambridge is also a surprisingly green and cozy city. Befitting a great academic center, it also houses a large number of amazing museums, from the Folk Museum and the Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology to the University Museum of Zoology and the Polar Museum. With only 60 miles (90 km) to cover, it makes an ideal day trip from London.
- South Downs National Park. Home to 14 million people, Greater London is one of the largest and most densely populated urban areas in Europe — but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t provide access to nature. Located just a 90-minute drive southwest of the capital, South Downs is a supremely calm and scenic area of chalk hills, valleys, and woodlands. Other nature areas not far from London include the Surrey Hills, Kent Downs, and Chiltern Hills.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in London is the Peugeot 108, although many travelers also pick the Ford Fiesta and the Volvo V40. The most popular rental car types are mini, intermediate, and economy.
- Manchester. Embracing its industrial past rather than trying to avoid it, Manchester is a unique and vibrant cultural center. Come here for its beautiful historic buildings, unique neighborhoods, great museums and art galleries, and two world class football clubs. Manchester is less than four hours drive north of London.
- Edinburgh. The capital of Scotland might not be quite as immense as its English counterpart, but what it lacks in size, Edinburgh more than makes up for in charm. A city with a truly unique historic feel, Edinburgh is about seven hours drive north of London. That might seem like a long drive, but you’d be crossing all of England where there are countless opportunities for stopping along the way. And besides, the final destination will be worth it.
- Devon. A large county in the southwest of England, Devon is home to the Jurassic Coast, an area so rich in dinosaur bones and other fossils that a whole geologic period of the Paleozoic was named after it. There are plenty of other attractions too, not least of which are historic sites related to the human habitation of the British Isles, Dartmoor and Exmoor National Parks, and the sophisticated cathedral city of Exeter, which is about a 3-hour-and-30-minute drive from London.
Car Rental Prices in London
- Station wagons - from $28 per day
- Large cars - from $26 per day
- Medium cars - from $19 per day
- Vans - from $36 per day
- Premium cars - from $71 per day
- Small cars - from $17 per day
- SUVs - from $24 per day
There are many things you can do to get a good car rental deal in London. Start with:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting London is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 39% cheaper than the yearly average and about 60% cheaper than renting in May.
Top 20 Cities near London
Hounslow Car Rentals from $19.43 per day6.9 km / 4.3 miles away
Slough Car Rentals from $122.84 per day12.3 km / 7.6 miles away
Wembley, London Car Rentals from $66.70 per day14.4 km / 8.9 miles away
Watford Car Rentals from $143.06 per day19.9 km / 12.4 miles away
Croydon Car Rentals from $33.83 per day26.6 km / 16.5 miles away
Guildford Car Rentals from $30.99 per day27.0 km / 16.8 miles away
Reading Car Rentals from $43.44 per day33.9 km / 21.1 miles away
Gatwick Car Rentals from $15.99 per day41.2 km / 25.6 miles away
Luton Car Rentals from $23.30 per day44.6 km / 27.7 miles away
Crawley Car Rentals from $17.35 per day45.1 km / 28.0 miles away
Dartford Car Rentals from $122.84 per day46.0 km / 28.6 miles away
Basingstoke Car Rentals from $43.74 per day51.2 km / 31.8 miles away
Milton Keynes Car Rentals from $66.66 per day62.8 km / 39.0 miles away
Maidstone Car Rentals from $95.24 per day71.8 km / 44.6 miles away
Chelmsford Car Rentals from $156.25 per day72.9 km / 45.3 miles away
Brighton Car Rentals from $56.41 per day75.5 km / 46.9 miles away
Southampton Car Rentals from $49.60 per day85.6 km / 53.2 miles away
Portsmouth Car Rentals from $79.63 per day86.6 km / 53.8 miles away
Northampton Car Rentals from $133.99 per day89.1 km / 55.4 miles away
Swindon Car Rentals from $156.25 per day90.6 km / 56.3 miles away
Top 20 Locations near London
London Heathrow Airport Car Rentals from $16.79 per day
London Fulham Car Rentals from $27.20 per day18.0 km / 11.2 miles away
London Paddington Train Station Car Rentals from $30.84 per day20.2 km / 12.6 miles away
London Edgware Road Car Rentals from $30.84 per day20.6 km / 12.8 miles away
London Marylebone Train Station Car Rentals from $30.84 per day21.2 km / 13.2 miles away
London St Pancras Train Station Car Rentals from $52.17 per day24.0 km / 14.9 miles away
Waterloo Train Station Car Rentals from $27.20 per day24.1 km / 15.0 miles away
London Kings Cross Train Station Car Rentals from $85.04 per day24.4 km / 15.2 miles away
London Lewisham Car Rentals from $122.84 per day31.5 km / 19.6 miles away
London Stratford Train Station Car Rentals from $66.70 per day32.5 km / 20.2 miles away
Enfield Downtown Car Rentals from $122.84 per day35.4 km / 22.0 miles away
London City Airport Car Rentals from $37.81 per day35.9 km / 22.3 miles away
London Woodford Green Car Rentals from $143.06 per day37.7 km / 23.4 miles away
London Ilford Car Rentals from $27.20 per day38.2 km / 23.7 miles away
London Airport Gatwick Car Rentals from $15.99 per day41.2 km / 25.6 miles away
Downtown Car Rentals from $43.44 per day44.5 km / 27.7 miles away
Luton Airport Car Rentals from $23.30 per day44.6 km / 27.7 miles away
London Stansted Airport Car Rentals from $17.70 per day66.0 km / 41.0 miles away
Southampton Airport Car Rentals from $79.62 per day85.6 km / 53.2 miles away
Bournemouth Airport Car Rentals from $53.28 per day123.7 km / 76.9 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in London?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the usual rental length in London?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in London?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||38|
|Popular suppliers||Easirent, Drivalia, Keddy, Surprice, GreenMotion|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$17 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||Routes Car Rental|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Fiat 500||3||2||Small cars|
|Drivalia||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Volkswagen Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|Drivalia||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Easirent||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Ford Fiesta||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.