Car Hire in Istanbul
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Istanbul?
Straddling two continents, Istanbul is not just one of the largest cities in both Europe and Asia — it’s also one of the most interesting ones. From world-class landmarks to atmospheric side streets, layers of millennia-old history are waiting to be discovered.
One-way Car Hire in Istanbul
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Istanbul and drop off in another city include:
- From Istanbul to Antalya - 457 offers from £ 21.95 per day
- From Istanbul to Kayseri - 210 offers from £ 29.12 per day
- From Istanbul to Ankara - 327 offers from £ 21.80 per day
- From Istanbul to Malatya - 97 offers from £ 38.00 per day
- From Istanbul to Izmir - 405 offers from £ 22.87 per day
Top ways to enter Istanbul
- Istanbul Airport. One of the busiest in Europe, Istanbul Airport is expected to serve about 70 million travellers in 2022. The airport is on the European side of the city, about an hour’s drive northwest of the centre.
- Sabiha Gökçen Airport. Named after a famous female pilot, this is the smaller of the two international airports serving Istanbul but nonetheless handles more than 30 million travellers annually. The airport is on the Asian side, about an hour’s drive east of the centre.
Top destinations and activities
- Hagia Sophia. Formerly the largest church on the planet, then a museum, and recently controversially turned into a mosque, the Hagia Sophia’s history is rather turbulent, but that only adds to its status as Istanbul’s most famous landmark. An architectural wonder, it is open to everyone and free to visit, though you should check the calendar of prayer times.
- Museum of Great Palace Mosaics. There is a wealth of archaeological institutions in Istanbul, but the Mosaics Museum is not only one of the most specialized, it is also among the most interesting ones. Almost all the mosaics on display have been unearthed among the ruins of the Great Palace complex and date back to the Byzantine era. Visit the official website to learn more about tickets and opening hours.
- Rumelian Castle. One of the most famous castles of Turkey, Rumelihisarı is located right on the banks of the Bosphorus Strait and overlooks its waters from the European side. Dating back to the 15th century, it has suffered blockades and earthquakes but has always been restored back to its early magnificence.
Traffic and parking
- Unless specifically indicated otherwise, the speed limits are 120 km/h (74.5 mph) on highways, 90 km/h (55.9 mph) on two-lane roads, and 50 km/h (31 mph) in populated and built-up areas.
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving.
- On regional roads, there might be fewer gas stations than on the national highways. Never stay too low on gas and always set out your route in advance to know the location of the next petrol station.
- Due to high taxes, Turkey has very expensive petrol, with prices higher than even in most EU countries. Keep that in mind when planning your route!
- Turkey is overall a warm country, but during winter roads can be covered with ice, especially in mountainous regions. Do ask your car hire supplier in advance if your vehicle’s tyres will be equipped for the season.
- Occasionally you might encounter police roadblocks and even military checkpoints, especially in Southeastern Turkey. They are there for your own safety, and in most cases, they will only check your license and warn you about any potential danger that might lie ahead.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% if you’re driving alone and 0.00%. Exceeding the limit can lead to large fines and a licence ban.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number is 112. The police number is 155, the fire brigade number is 110, and the forest fire number is 177.
Driving on most national motorways, as well as some bridges and tunnels in Turkey requires paying a toll. This includes many motorways in the Istanbul area and in the wider Northwestern Turkey region.
Most Turkish toll roads only accept electronic, contactless payment from an electronic transponder that’s in the car or by an electronic chip-sticker that’s on the car. This means that you cannot pay either by cash or credit card for most toll roads (only a handful of newer ones accept such).
All hired cars have to be equipped either with a transponder or with a sticker. Some car suppliers might charge an extra fee for this service. Do contact your car supplier in advance to find out more.
The toll roads in Turkey are divided into HGS, the High-Speed Passage System (Hızlı Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish) and OGS (Otomatik Geçiş Sistemi in Turkish). On HGS roads, you can pass through the toll area at a higher speed. On OGS roads, you need to slow down as you go through a toll gate and the toll payment is registered through the electronic transponder that’s in your car. The exact amount you’ll have to pay will depend on the specific road you drive on and the distance you travel.
Find out more about the toll roads in Turkey on the European toll road website.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ormanya. A town, a park, and a wildlife rehabilitation centre, Ormanya is one of the nicest green escapes near the megalopolis that is Istanbul. In addition to native mammal and bird species, you can come across more exotic ones like antelopes and alpacas. The drive from the city takes about 90 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Istanbul is the Fiat Egea, followed by the Renault Symbol and the Ford Fiesta. The most popular car types are compact, economy, and mini.
Car Hire Prices in Istanbul
- Station wagons - starting at £ 61 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 69 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 46 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 130 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 37 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 95 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Istanbul is the cheapest in May.
Top 8 Cities near Istanbul
466.7 km / 290.0 miles away
Izmir starting at £ 35.82 per day330.9 km / 205.6 miles away
Dalaman starting at £ 18.64 per day468.3 km / 291.0 miles away
319.9 km / 198.8 miles away
Kayseri starting at £ 22.80 per day581.1 km / 361.1 miles away
Bodrum starting at £ 23.09 per day429.9 km / 267.1 miles away
Kusadasi starting at £ 29.94 per day380.1 km / 236.2 miles away
Marmaris starting at £ 32.41 per day460.0 km / 285.8 miles away
Top 18 Destinations around Istanbul
Istanbul Pendik starting at £ 11.04 per day
Istanbul Airport Sabiha Gokcen starting at £ 18.22 per day2.5 km / 1.5 miles away
Istanbul Kartal starting at £ 29.52 per day7.5 km / 4.6 miles away
Istanbul Bostanci starting at £ 113.40 per day16.5 km / 10.3 miles away
Istanbul Kadikoy starting at £ 16.51 per day18.6 km / 11.6 miles away
Istanbul Taksim starting at £ 26.12 per day28.8 km / 17.9 miles away
Istanbul Kanyon Shopping mall starting at £ 32.41 per day29.7 km / 18.4 miles away
Istanbul North starting at £ 33.31 per day33.7 km / 20.9 miles away
Istanbul Yenibosna starting at £ 30.14 per day39.1 km / 24.3 miles away
Istanbul Bagcılar starting at £ 9.78 per day40.9 km / 25.4 miles away
Istanbul Bahcesehir starting at £ 43.72 per day53.1 km / 33.0 miles away
Istanbul Beylikduzu starting at £ 31.11 per day53.5 km / 33.2 miles away
Istanbul Arnavutkoy starting at £ 24.98 per day57.0 km / 35.4 miles away
Canakkale Airport starting at £ 30.94 per day256.2 km / 159.2 miles away
Ankara Mevlana Bulvard starting at £ 30.14 per day315.4 km / 196.0 miles away
Ankara Airport starting at £ 26.71 per day325.6 km / 202.3 miles away
Izmir Airport starting at £ 24.20 per day343.0 km / 213.1 miles away
Izmir Airport Domestic (ADBT02) starting at £ 46.39 per day343.0 km / 213.1 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car in Istanbul?
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Istanbul?
What month is the most favoured for hiring a car in Istanbul?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|GreenMotion||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
|Eren Rent A Car||Fiat Egea||4||2||Medium cars|
|Pandora||Peugeot Traveller||5||3||People Carriers|
|Pandora||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Citroen C-Elysee||4||1||Small cars|
|Wish Car Rental||Renault Clio||5||2||Small cars|
|Autounion||Hyundai I20||5||2||Small cars|
|Wish Car Rental||Peugeot 301||4||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.