Car Rental in Thailand
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Thailand?
A great place to explore, Thailand is Southeast Asia’s most popular travel destination for a reason. From a long, stunning seacoast, tropical islands, and vast national parks to ancient temples and multicultural history, it has something to quench every curious traveler’s thirst.
Top ways to enter Thailand
- Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport: Bangkok’s main airport is among the 20 busiest in the world. The word “suvarnabhumi” means Land of Gold in Sanskrit.
- Phuket International Airport: Located in the country’s south, Phuket Airport serves flights to and from many destinations in both Asia and Europe.
- Bangkok Don Mueang Airport: Bangkok’s second airport is served by more than 10 different airlines.
Top cities and places to visit
- Bangkok. The most visited city in not just South East Asia, but the whole world, Bangkok is a very special destination. Many visitors are attracted to its huge backpacker scene and energetic nightlife, but, while it’s certainly there for you to enjoy, you should also not miss out on the city’s multiple historical landmarks, or numerous nearby places to take day trips that include scenic areas and religious sites.
- Phuket. Located in the far south of the country, Phuket is probably the most famous of Thailand’s many beach destinations. In addition to the idyllic Andaman coastline, Phuket is also home to a surprising cultural diversity and Phra Thaeo National Park. A number of smaller islands, like the scuba diving paradise of Ko Racha, are just off the coast of the main island.
- Chiang Mai. Located in the comparatively less explored northern part of the country near the borders of Myanmar and Laos, Chiang Mai is one of the country’s most interesting destinations. Surrounded by impressive peaks and boasting ancient temples, interesting museums, and a distinct local culture, it has all the right ingredients for a memorable travel experience.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Thailand is the Mitsubishi Mirage, followed by the Nissan Almera and the Toyota Fortuner.
Driver license requirements
- Thailand recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are printed in a Latin or Thai alphabet and if you’re visiting on a short trip. If you’re residing in Thailand permanently, you need to obtain a local driver’s license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in another alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also carry your original driver’s license as you might be asked to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
There are very few car rental companies that permit cross-border travels between Thailand and any of its neighbors (depending on the season, you might find a few for trips between Thailand and Malaysia). Of course, it is always possible to drop off one rental car in Thailand, travel by public transportation, and then pick up a new rental car at your next destination.
Thailand has land borders with four other countries, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia. Each of the countries has its own, unique visa policy, so, depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to visit either of them. Do consult your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance if you plan to visit any of them. Many governments advise against any non-essential travel to Myanmar due to the ongoing violent clashes in the country.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Thailand is a fullsize, although economy and compact are also often picked, especially by travelers who tend to stay in the cities.
Top driving routes
- Ayutthaya. One of those great Bangkok day trips mentioned above, the former capital city of Ayutthaya is a history lover’s dream. Located on an island at the confluence of two rivers, it is known for its stunning ruins, many of which can be found in the Ayutthaya Historical Park, as well as other landmarks left by an array of former rulers and religions. Also known as Phra Nakhon Si Ayutthaya, the city is about a 90-minute drive north of Bangkok.
- Isaan. Something of a mystery to most foreign visitors, this eastern region is full of ancient sites, hospitable locals, and interesting influences from its next-door neighbors, Cambodia and Laos. Attractions include the vineyards of Loei, Khmer temples of Phanom Rung, and the stunning Buddha statue of Roi Et.
- Khao Sok National Park. Located in the south of the country, it is no exaggeration when travel brochures mention Khao Sok among the most beautiful places in Thailand. Home to one of the most diverse rainforests on the planet, this large tropical area is home to a stunning variety of wildlife — Malayan tapirs, mouse deer, Asian elephants, and Indian bison all live in the park.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $34 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- Vans - from $61 per day
- Small cars - from $25 per day
- SUVs - from $53 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Thailand:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Thailand is the cheapest in May when renting a car is about 33% cheaper than the yearly average and a whopping 62% cheaper than renting a car in November.
Top 16 Most Popular Cities in Thailand
Car Rental in Bangkok from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Phuket from $17.57 per day
Car Rental in Chiang Mai from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Chiang Rai from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Khon Kaen from $28.33 per day
Car Rental in Ko Samui from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Krabi from $17.57 per day
Car Rental in Udon Thani from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Surat Thani from $25.19 per day
Car Rental in Ubon Ratchathani from $25.19 per day
Car Rental in Hat Yai, Songkhla from $25.19 per day
Car Rental in Pattaya from $17.23 per day
Car Rental in Buriram from $58.50 per day
Car Rental in Nakhon Phanom from $58.50 per day
Car Rental in Hua Hin from $26.19 per day
Top 15 Most Popular Locations in Thailand
Car Rental at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Airport Bangkok Don Muang from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Phuket Int. Airport from $17.57 per day
Car Rental at Chiang Mai Int. Airport from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Chiang Rai Int. Airport from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Khon Kaen Airport from $28.33 per day
Car Rental at Samui International Airport from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Krabi Airport from $17.57 per day
Car Rental at Udon Thani Int. Airport from $17.23 per day
Car Rental at Surat Thani Airport from $25.19 per day
Car Rental at Ubon Ratchathani Airport from $25.19 per day
Car Rental at Hat Yai International Airport from $25.19 per day
Car Rental at Buriram Airport from $58.50 per day
Car Rental at Nakhon Phanom Airport from $58.50 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Thailand?
What’s the average rental length in Thailand?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Thailand?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|yesaway||Nissan Almera||4||2||Small cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Vios||4||2||Medium cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Altis||4||2||Large cars|
|yesaway||Toyota Yaris||4||2||Small cars|
|Keddy||Nissan Almera||5||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Yaris||4||Small cars|
|Keddy||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Toyota Fortuner Aut.||5||2||SUVs|
|SIXT||Honda City Aut.||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.