Car Rental in Montenegro
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Montenegro?
From high peaks to the Adriatic Coast lined with beaches and resort towns, little Montenegro has quickly become one of the tourist hotspots in this part of Europe. Add the country’s fascinating history dating back to the Roman days and surprisingly varied culture and you have all the ingredients for a great holiday.
One-way Car Rentals in Montenegro
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Montenegro and drop off in another country:
- From Montenegro to Croatia - 171 offers from $12.65 per day
- From Montenegro to Albania - 58 offers from $21.01 per day
Top ways to enter Montenegro
- Podgorica Airport: Montenegro’s largest international airport serves the nation’s capital and hosts flights to and from many popular destinations such as Istanbul, Moscow, Vienna, Frankfurt, and others.
- Tivat Airport: Montenegro’s other international airport is another great way to enter the country. It is mainly active during the summer months and offers flights to and from destinations in Europe, the Caucasus, and the Middle East.
- Overland: If your rental car provider permits it, you can pick up your car in a neighboring country and then drive to Montenegro. Notable international airports near Montenegro include Dubrovnik Airport in Croatia, Tirana Airport in Albania, and Belgrade Airport in Serbia. Do keep in mind that neither Montenegro nor any of its neighbors are members of the Schengen Area, so, depending on your citizenship, you might need separate visas to visit either of the countries.
Top cities and places to visit
- South Coast: The beaches of southern Montenegro are as beautiful as you’ll find anywhere in Italy or Greece and attract thousands of visitors every summer. The area is strongly influenced by Albanian culture, especially in and around Ulcinj.
- North Coast: The most scenic place in Montenegro, this part of the Adriatic Coast is known for countless beach restaurants, lovely views, and active nightlife. Attractions include the posh town of Budva and the beautiful Bay of Kotor. In Perast, you can take a boat ride to Our Lady of the Rocks on the islet of St George.
- Mountains: The Dinaric Alps offer great opportunities for winter sports, ensuring that Montenegro is as exciting in winter as it is in summer. The highest peaks are in the northern part of the country, but Montenegro is one of the few countries in Europe where mountains can also be found right next to the sea. Durmitor National Park is the largest National Park in Montenegro, at 79,000 acres. This UNESCO World Heritage Site has some excellent hiking, and there are plenty of places to park your car.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Montenegro is the Opel Corsa, followed by the Skoda Rapid and the Ford Fiesta.
Driver's license requirements
- Montenegro recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are valid and if you’re visiting on a short trip. If you’re living in Montenegro permanently, you need to acquire a local license.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Chinese, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Montenegro uses both Latin and Cyrillic alphabets, but sources are unclear if licenses from other countries that use the Cyrillic alphabet are recognized. Licenses from neighboring Serbia should be OK, but the issue is less clear with countries like Russia, Ukraine, and Bulgaria. Because of this, travelers from these countries are advised to acquire an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also carry your original driver’s license as you might be asked to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Montenegro is bordered by Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, and Albania. Each of these countries has its own visa policy and visiting them without a visa may or may not be possible depending on your citizenship.
Some, although by no means all, rental car suppliers permit crossing international borders in a rental car. You can find the ones that do by entering your car pick-up and drop-off locations on our website’s search.
Most popular types of rental car
Economy is the rental type most of picked by travelers in Montenegro, but mini and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Skadar Lake National Park. Named after the largest lake in the Balkans, Skadar is shared between Montenegro and Albania (it is known as Lake Shkodra south of the border). Regardless of the semantics, this is one of the most popular natural attractions in Montenegro, due to its forested hillsides, an island fortress, and spectacular views.
- The North. More traditional and much less influenced by international tourism, the northern part of Montenegro remains unknown even to those who have already visited the country. Culturally and religiously diverse — the northwestern corner is largely Muslim — the region is known for its folk heritage, national parks, and impressive mountains.
- Cetinje. Located just a short drive from the present-day capital of Montenegro, Podgorica, its predecessor is one of the most interesting towns in the country. The historic and cultural importance of Cetinje is exemplified and explained by landmarks such as the State Museum, Vlaška Church, Ethnographic Museum, and Cetinje Monastery. Cetinje can also serve as a gateway to the nearby Lovćen National Park, yet another stunning nature area.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $128 per day
- Station wagons - from $8 per day
- Large cars - from $13 per day
- Medium cars - from $5 per day
- Vans - from $42 per day
- Premium cars - from $97 per day
- Small cars - from $5 per day
- SUVs - from $8 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Montenegro:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirement
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Montenegro is the cheapest in October - prices start from € 18.54 for an economy vehicle per day which is almost 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Montenegro?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Montenegro?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Montenegro?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||16|
|Popular suppliers||GreenMotion, Surprice, Carwiz, SIXT, Viaggiare|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$5 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Surprice||Volkswagen Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Toyota Yaris||5||2||Small cars|
|Viaggiare||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Skoda Fabia||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Skoda Rapid||5||2||Medium cars|
|ABBYCAR||Hyundai i10||4||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||3||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.