Car Rental in Montenegro
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Montenegro?
A small and beautiful country, Montenegro is a great location to discover by car. It offers a surprisingly varied nature and landscape, from high and majestic mountains to Adriatic Coast lined with cozy beach towns and villages.
One-way Car Rentals in Montenegro
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Montenegro and drop off in another country:
- From Montenegro to Croatia - 171 offers from € 11.61 per day
- From Montenegro to Albania - 58 offers from € 19.29 per day
Top ways to enter Montenegro
- Podgorica Airport: Montenegro’s largest international airport serves the nation’s capital and hosts flights to and from many popular destinations such as Istanbul, Moscow, Vienna, Frankfurt, and others.
- Tivat Airport: Montenegro’s other international airport is another great way to enter the country. It is mainly active during the summer months and offers flights to and from destinations in Europe, the Caucasus, and the Middle East.
- By land: It’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive to Montenegro. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter Montenegro or any of its neighboring countries. Some large international airports near Montenegro include Belgrade Airport in Serbia, Tirana Airport in Albania, and Sarajevo Airport in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Top cities and places to visit
- The South Coast: The beaches of southern Montenegro are as beautiful as you’ll find anywhere in Italy or Greece. The area has a strong influence of Albanian culture, especially in and around Ulcinj.
- Budva Riviera: The poshest place in Montenegro, this part of Adriatic Coast is a place of countless beach restaurants and active nightlife.
- Mountains: The Dinaric Alps offer great opportunities for winter sports, ensuring that Montenegro is as exciting in winter as it is in summer. The highest peaks are in the northern part of the country, but Montenegro is one of the few countries in Europe where mountains can also be found right next to the sea.
- National Parks: Skadar Lake National Park, Lovćen National Park, Biogradska Gora National Park and Durmitor National Park have everything from old forests, long hiking trails, and deep canyons to mountain lakes and a stunning variety of wildlife.
- Bay of Kotor: A calm and picturesque area near the border with Croatia, Bay of Kotor is home to great beaches as well as interesting towns like Tivat, Kotor, and Herceg Novi.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Montenegro is the Opel Corsa, followed by the Skoda Rapid and the Ford Fiesta.
Montenegro is bordered by Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Kosovo, and Albania. Each of these countries has their own visa policy, and visiting them without a visa may or may not be possible depending on your citizenship. If you plan to visit Bulgaria’s neighbor during your rental period, we strongly advise you to get in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out about the visa requirements.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
Economy is the rental type most of picked by travelers in Montenegro, but mini and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Podgorica - Tivat (87 km / 54 mi) The route from the nation’s capital to the largest city on the Bay of Kotor can be done in less than two hours, but you might want to make a detour to the Lovćen National Park and the village Njeguši that is famous for its meat delicacies.
- Herceg Novi - Dubrovnik (49 km / 30 mi) Dubrovnik, one of Europe’s most picturesque coastal cities, is only an hour’s drive away from Herceg Novi in western Montenegro. Note that you’ll have to cross the national border with Croatia, so first check with your rental car provider to find out if they allow it.
- Bar - Tirana (143 km / 89 mi) The route from Bar to Albania’s capital has many interesting places on the way, from coastal villages on both sides of the border to nature reserves. Note that you’ll have to cross the national border with Albania, so first check with your rental car provider to find out if they allow it.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $127 per day
- Station wagons - from $51 per day
- Large cars - from $38 per day
- Medium cars - from $26 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $74 per day
- Premium cars - from $86 per day
- Small cars - from $22 per day
- SUVs - from $61 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Montenegro:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirement
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Montenegro is the cheapest in October - prices start from € 18.54 for an economy vehicle per day which is almost 50% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 5 Most Popular Locations in Montenegro
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Montenegro?
What’s the average rental length in Montenegro?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Montenegro?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Surprice||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Ford Fiesta||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||3||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i10||3||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Toyota Yaris||5||1||Small cars|
|Global Rent a Car||Ford Fiesta||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Ford Focus||5||2||Medium cars|
|Surprice||Fiat Panda||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i20||3||2||Small cars|
|Surprice||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|