Car Rental in Malta
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Malta?
Malta is a fascinating place to explore. The Mediterranean island nation is home to some of the loveliest beaches in Europe but also ancient sites that date back millennia. The distances between them are small, but each town and village has its own special atmosphere. Most of the attractions are on the main island, but the smaller islands of Gozo and Comino, which are just a short ferry ride away, promise off-the-beaten-path adventures.
Top ways to enter Malta
- Malta Airport: Malta Luqa Airport is served by many airlines, including a number of low-cost carriers, that connect it to mainland Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.
- By sea: If your car provider permits it, you can take your rental on a ferry. It only takes about 90 minutes to reach Malta from Sicily by boat. You can also conveniently pick up your rental car after you’ve already arrived in Malta.
Top cities and places to visit
Valletta. While its permanent population of just 5,800 people makes it comfortably the smallest capital city in the European Union, Valletta is one of Malta’s most interesting attractions (the numbers can be slightly misleading, too — the population of the city’s metropolitan area, which includes most of the island, is close to 480,000). Highlights of Valletta include the 16th-century St. John’s Co-Cathedral and accompanying museum, the Grandmaster's Palace (only partially accessible, but nonetheless worth it), Sant'Anton Palace (the residence of the Maltese president),the Parliament House, and the forts of Valletta.
Mellieħa. Located in the northwest of the main island, Mellieħa is one of Malta’s most diverse destinations. In addition to its stunning sandy coastline, the little town is home to a number of historical attractions (not least of which is a Second World War shelter), Ghadira Nature Reserve, and even the Tuna Museum. The drive from Valletta takes about 40 minutes.
Megalithic temples. Scattered throughout both islands of Malta, the prehistoric megalithic temples are among the most awe-inspiring landmarks in all of the Mediterranean region. The early civilizations that created them 5,000-6,000 years ago remain largely unknown to us, but some visitors would say that the mystery only adds to the experience.
Gozo Island. The second largest island of the Maltese archipelago harbors some of the most dramatic sea cliffs in Malta. Take the Gozo Channel Line car ferry to Gozo Island and visit the Ta’ Cenc Cliffs and the Sanap Cliffs. The best way to see the Sanap Cliffs is to drive to Xlendi Bay and follow the coastal trail to the Sanap Cliffs viewpoint.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Malta is the Fiat Panda, but the Peugeot 108 and the Ford Fiesta are also popular.
Driver's license requirements
- Malta recognizes foreign driver’s licenses if they are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than 12 months. If you’re visiting on a longer trip or if you’re a permanent resident of the country, you need to acquire a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is in another alphabet (e.g., Cyrillic or Arabic), you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Even if you have an IDP, you still need to also provide your valid driver’s license from your country
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Malta is a Mini, followed by Economy and Compact.
Car Rental Prices
- Convertibles - from $12 per day
- Station wagons - from $11 per day
- Large cars - from $9 per day
- Medium cars - from $6 per day
- Vans - from $24 per day
- Premium cars - from $61 per day
- Small cars - from $5 per day
- SUVs - from $12 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Malta:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Malta is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 50% cheaper than the yearly average and about 80% cheaper than renting a car in July.
Top 9 Most Popular Cities in Malta
Top Most Popular Locations in Malta
Map of Car Rental Locations
What is the cheapest month to rent a car in Malta?
This information can help you identify the low season. But these are only average numbers. How much your car rental will cost will depend on the type of vehicle you rent, how long you’ll rent it for, and how far ahead you book. Simply enter your dates in the form at the top of the page to see the exact prices.
What’s the average rental length in Malta?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Malta?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||13|
|Popular suppliers||Malta First Car Hire, Sicily By Car, CityGo Rentals, Caracter Rent A Car, Autounion|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Vans|
|Lowest price||$5 per day|
|Cheapest supplier||CityGo Rentals|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Sicily By Car||Opel Karl||4||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Hyundai I20||5||2||Small cars|
|CityGo Rentals||Toyota Aygo X||5||3||SUVs|
|Malta First Car Hire||Fiat New 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Malta First Car Hire||Fiat Panda||5||1||Small cars|
|Malta First Car Hire||Citroen C3||5||2||Medium cars|
|Caracter Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Malta First Car Hire||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
|Sicily By Car||Citroen C3||5||2||Medium cars|
|CityGo Rentals||Peugeot 108||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.