Car Rental in Jamaica
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Jamaica?
Notable not just for its beaches, but also culture, distinct cuisine, impressive mountains, and tropical nature areas, Jamaica is a surprisingly diverse travel destination. Getting a rental car is your best bet to travel outside the main tourist areas and visit everything this Caribbean island has to offer.
Top ways to enter Jamaica
- Montego Bay Sangster Airport: Serving flights to and from many destinations in The Americas and Europe, this airport is the main entry point for Northern Jamaica.
- Kingston Norman Manley Airport: Named after Jamaican statesman, Kingston Airport serves Jamaica’s capital and hosts flights by around 15 airlines.
Top cities and places to visit
- Montego Bay. Located on the north coast, MoBay is arguably the most visited place on the island. The main draw of this cozy coastal town is undeniably its many scenic beaches and popular resorts, but there’s also plenty of history to explore, plus nearby natural attractions such as the Rockland Bird Sanctuary.
- Kingston. More busy and rough around the edges than MoBay, Kingston is nonetheless the capital and the largest city and as such, has plenty of attractions to generate excitement. There’s well-preserved colonial architecture like the Devon House, the National Gallery of Jamaica, Lime Cay Beach which is only accessible by boat, the Arawak Museum dedicated to the indigenous inhabitants of Jamaica, and Hope Botanical Gardens. That being said, for many visitors, nothing can top seeing the Bob Marley Museum. Just to stay on the safe side, read up on the present security situation in Kingston before your visit to learn about areas to avoid.
- Negril. Located near the island’s westernmost tip, beautiful Negril is all about its many golden sand beaches, crystal clear water, and impressive coastal cliffs. The region around Negril is known for its water sport opportunities and tours on boats with transparent glass bottoms, as well as rafting on the beautiful Martha Brae River.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Jamaica is the Suzuki Dzire, followed by the Mazda Demio and the Toyota Yaris.
Driver's license requirements
- Jamaica recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are printed in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than 12 months. If you’re residing in the country permanently, you need to obtain a local driver’s license.
- If your driver’s license is printed in another alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also carry your original driver’s license as you might be asked to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Jamaica is an Economy, but Compact and Fullsize are also popular.
Top driving routes
- The Blue Mountains. A steep and scenic range that reaches heights of 2,250 m (7,400 feet), visiting the Blue Mountains is one of the greatest travel experiences in Jamaica. Recognized as a world heritage site, the region is characterized by forests with ferns, orchids, and other tropical plants; historic coffee estates; and many hiking trails. The mountains are less than a two-hour drive north of Kingston and 3 hours and 30 minutes southeast of Montego Bay.
- Port Antonio. Located north of the Blue Mountains, Port Antonio is a relatively undiscovered and hassle-free coastal town. Attractions here include the beautiful Blue Lagoon and Cove, the nearby Navy Island which can be reached on a boat trip and has beaches and rainforest to explore, and some of the nicest surfing beaches in all of Jamaica.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $111 per day
- Medium cars - from $93 per day
- Vans - from $113 per day
- Small cars - from $76 per day
- SUVs - from $129 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Jamaica:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Jamaica is the cheapest in February when renting a car is about 65% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 4 Most Popular Cities in Jamaica
Car Rental in Montego Bay from $55.14 per day
Car Rental in Kingston from $56.21 per day
Car Rental in Negril from $68.17 per day
Top 3 Most Popular Locations in Jamaica
Car Rental at Sangster International Airport from $40.74 per day
Car Rental at Norman Manley International Airport from $56.21 per day
Car Rental at Montego Bay Cruise Port from $62.12 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Jamaica?
What’s the average rental length in Jamaica?
What's the most popular time of year to rent a car in Jamaica?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||11|
|Popular suppliers||Island Car Rentals, Autounion, AddCar, Budget, Ace Rent a car|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, SUVs, Large cars, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||$41 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Island Car Rentals||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Toyota Vitz||5||2||Small cars|
|Island Car Rentals||Hyundai Creta||5||2||SUVs|
|Autounion||Daihatsu Mira||3||1||Small cars|
|Island Car Rentals||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Suzuki Swift||4||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Nissan March||4||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Suzuki Swift||5||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Suzuki Ertiga||4||2||Large cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.