Car Rental in Finland
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Finland?
Finland is a great place for renting a car. From cozy and modern cities in the south to countless lakes in the east and pristine wilderness in the north, it is incredibly diverse yet easily accessible, and having your own wheels is the best way to go about exploring it.
Top ways to enter Finland
- Helsinki Airport: Finland’s largest airport is modern and well-connected, hosting flights not only to all the major destinations in Europe, but also to North America, Middle East, and Asia.
- Rovaniemi Airport: Lapland’s main airport has flights to and from many destinations in Europe, and is the best entry point of Northern Finland.
- Kittilä Airport: Even further north than Rovaniemi, Kittilä Airport is mostly active in winters and has flights to and from cities like London, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels, and many others.
- Oulu Airport: City of Oulu, the science hub in Northwest Finland, has regular flights to Helsinki and Stockholm, as well as to beach destinations in Spain, Turkey, and Greece during summers.
- By land or sea: If your rental car provider permits it, it’s possible to rent a car in a neighboring country and then drive or take a ferry to Finland. Some large international airports near Finland are Saint Petersburg Airport in Russia, Tallinn Airport in Estonia, and Umeå Airport in Sweden.
Top cities and places to visit
- Helsinki: Finland’s capital is quickly turning into one of the hippest cities in Europe, thanks to contemporary architecture, active arts scene, innovations in science and technology, and a high standard of living.
- Tampere: An historic industrial hub, Tampere has redefined itself as a center of culture, education and music, although you can still learn about its history in one of its great museums.
- Turku: Finland’s third city and former capital is a place of grand old palaces and churches, and its unique mix of old and new architecture.
- Eastern Finland: Usually overlooked by tourists, Finnish Karelia and the rest of the East is a calm place full of lakes, national parks, and villages that are to be explored at a slow pace. The road that snakes between two lakes in Puhkankarju is a a driving experience that’s not to be missed.
- Northern Finland: Not only home of Santa Claus, Lapland and the rest of Northern Finland has northern lights in winter, midnight sun in summer, and the kind of wild natural beauty you won’t find almost anywhere else in Europe.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Finland is the Ford Fiesta, closely followed by the Skoda Citigo and the VW Polo.
Finland is bordered by Sweden, Norway, and Russia. It shares a maritime border with Estonia and there is a frequent ferry service between Helsinki and Tallinn, the two capital cities.
Like Finland, Sweden, Norway, and Estonia are members of the Schengen Area. The entry requirements for these three countries are the same as with Finland. Russia is not a member of the Schengen Area and has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may or may not need a visa to enter it. We strongly advise getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out if you need a visa to visit Russia.
Some car rental providers allow you to cross national borders and even drop off your car in a different country, while others don’t. If you’d like to cross a national border during your rental period, make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking a car. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Finland is an Economy, although Mini and Compact are also frequently chosen.
Top driving routes
Helsinki - Tampere (179 km / 111 mi) The route between two of Finland’s largest cities can be done in a little bit over two hours, but if you’re in no hurry, there are plenty of small towns and villages, as well as lakes and forest trails to check out on the way.
Helsinki - Rovaniemi (811 km / 504 mi) You’ll cross most of Finland from south to north by doing this route. Driving it will take about nine to ten hours, so if you’re really ambitious, it can be done in one day. The villages and towns will get more sparse and the nature more wild and beautiful on your way up north.
Rovaniemi - Ivalo (287 km / 178 mi) Travel even further into Lapland, and in about three and a half hours you’ll reach the village of Ivalo. Located in the very northeast corner of Finland, it offers great access to nearby Lake Inari and many other natural attractions.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $82 per day
- Large cars - from $80 per day
- Medium cars - from $49 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $186 per day
- Premium cars - from $156 per day
- Small cars - from $44 per day
- SUVs - from $249 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are a number of things you can do to get a good car rental deal in Finland:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Finland is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 32% cheaper than the yearly average and about 57% cheaper than visiting in March.
Top 16 Most Popular Cities in Finland
Car Rental in Helsinki from $17.86 per day
Car Rental in Rovaniemi from $20.44 per day
Car Rental in Oulu from $26.75 per day
Car Rental in Tampere from $29.93 per day
Car Rental in Ivalo from $24.89 per day
Car Rental in Turku from $25.37 per day
Car Rental in Kittilä from $25.35 per day
Car Rental in Kemi from $192.80 per day
Car Rental in Lappeenranta from $38.26 per day
Car Rental in Vaasa from $26.74 per day
Car Rental in Kuusamo from $31.52 per day
Car Rental in Joensuu from $28.59 per day
Car Rental in Mikkeli from $52.96 per day
Car Rental Kolari from $49.19 per day
Car Rental in Kajaani from $35.52 per day
Car Rental in Lahti from $32.58 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Finland
Car Rental at Helsinki Airport from $17.86 per day
Car Rental at Helsinki Train Station from $22.58 per day
Car Rental at Rovaniemi Airport from $20.44 per day
Car Rental at Oulu Airport from $26.75 per day
Car Rental at Oulu Train Station from $36.91 per day
Car Rental at Tampere-Pirkkala Airport from $29.93 per day
Car Rental at Tampere Train Station from $32.46 per day
Car Rental at Ivalo Airport from $24.89 per day
Car Rental at Rovaniemi Train Station from $20.88 per day
Car Rental at Turku Airport from $25.37 per day
Car Rental at Kittilä Airport from $25.35 per day
Car Rental in Helsinki (Downtown) from $20.22 per day
Car Rental at Kemi-Tornio Airport from $192.80 per day
Car Rental at Lappeenranta Airport from $38.26 per day
Car Rental at Vaasa Airport from $26.74 per day
Car Rental at Kuusamo Airport from $31.52 per day
Car Rental at Joensuu Airport from $28.59 per day
Car Rental in Mikkeli (Downtown) from $52.96 per day
Car Rental Kolari Railway Station from $49.19 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Finland?
What’s the average rental length in Finland?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Finland?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Global Rent a Car||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Volkswagen Polo||4||1||Medium cars|
|AddCar||VW Golf STW||5||4||Station wagons|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Octavia STW||5||3||Station wagons|
|SIXT||Ford Focus||4||1||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 2 Suppliers in Finland in 2020
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email