Car Rental Rovaniemi
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Offers
Why rent a car in Rovaniemi?
Rovaniemi is a fascinating place to visit. Located right on the outer border of the Arctic Circle, it is one of the northernmost cities in Europe. Children will love to visit the Santa Claus Village, but from interesting museums to stunning nature areas that surround the city, there’s also plenty for adults to enjoy.
Top ways to enter Rovaniemi
- Rovaniemi Airport: Experiencing sustained growth for the last nine years, Rovaniemi Airport handled 640,000 travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the winter months when it hosts flights by more than 10 different airlines. Located just 8km (5 miles) north of the city center, Rovaniemi Airport can be reached in about 10 minutes.
- Kemi-Tornio Airport: A small airport serving two cities at once, Kemi-Tornio handled 66,000 travelers in 2018. As of August 2019, the airport provides only domestic connections. Located on the Bothnian Bay near the border with Sweden, the airport is 115km (71 miles) southwest of Rovaniemi and can be reached in about 80 minutes.
- Kittilä Airport: Another quickly growing international airport, Kittilä offers flights to a number of European countries, including the United Kingdom, Netherlands, Switzerland, and Germany. Like Rovaniemi, the airport handles most of the traffic during the winter months. Located 155km (95 miles) north of Rovaniemi, it can be reached in about 1 hour and 50 minutes.
- Oulu Airport: Serving the city of the same name, Oulu Airport has frequent flights to and from Helsinki and Stockholm. There are also flights to holiday destinations in Spain and Greece. Oulu Airport is 220km (136 miles) south of Rovaniemi and can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- By rail: If you arrive in Rovaniemi by train, you can conveniently pick up your rental car at Rovaniemi Railway Station.
Useful city facts
- Rovaniemi has a subarctic climate with short, relatively warm summers and long, cold winters. The average temperature is 15°C (59°F) in July, the warmest month, with individual days being significantly hotter, and -11°C (12°F) in January. The city experiences most of its rain from June to September and has a lot of snowfall during winter.
- Rovaniemi’s location just south of the Arctic Circle means that the city experiences the phenomenon of the midnight sun. Every summer, the sun rises on June 6th and then sets only a month later on July 7th. Rovaniemi has 270 hours of sunlight in June and almost the same amount in July, but only 3 hours of sunlight in December. Clear December and January nights are the best time to view the aurora or northern lights, with many companies offering watching tours just outside the city.
Top destinations and activities
- Santa Claus Village and Park. The main attraction of Rovaniemi and Finnish Lapland, Santa Claus Village is, of course, the place where Father Christmas and his helpers spend 364 days of the year. From meeting the Santa himself to enjoying one of the magic shows or even hitting the Santa’s House of Snowmobiles Museum, there’s plenty to do here. It’s worth noting that the village is not in Rovaniemi itself - instead, it’s about 8km (5 miles) north and can be easily reached by car.
- Arktikum. A science and nature center, Arktikum has plenty of displays and exhibits on life north of the Arctic Circle. Visitors can learn about the flora and fauna of the extreme north, find out more about the Arctic’s human inhabitants (not only in Finland, but also in places like Canada and Russia), and see how the ongoing climate challenges are experienced in the Arctic today. The museum is 100% made of ecological materials obtained inside the Arctic Circle.
- Administrative and Cultural Center of Rovaniemi. Rovaniemi suffered heavily during the Second World War and required some seriously rebuilding afterwards. The task was left largely on the shoulders of the Finnish architect Alvar Aalto, and the city that the visitors experience today is still heavily influenced by his work and vision from more than 60 years ago. The Administrative and Cultural Center of Rovaniemi, itself one of the buildings of Aalto’s design, is a great place to learn about it.
Traffic and parking tips
- Finland drives on the right-hand side of the road.
- The general speed limit on motorways is 120km/h (74 mph), although it may be lowered in winter time or near urban areas by the municipal authority, so be sure to follow the signs. The same applies for provincial roads where the general speed limit is 80km/h (49 mph) or 100km/h (62 mph) and for rural roads where the general speed limit is 80km/h (49 mph). Unless indicated otherwise, the speed limit inside urban and other built-up areas is 50km/h (31 mph).
- It is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. This is strictly enforced and the fines are high.
- Children smaller than 135 cm (4’5 ft) have to use a child safety seat. Ask your car rental provider in advance to provide one if you’re traveling with a young child.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for both experienced and novice drivers. Exceeding these limits can lead to high fines, an EU-wide license ban, and even imprisonment.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in it whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- The general emergency number, like elsewhere in the EU, is 112.
As of June 2019, there are neither any toll roads nor toll bridges in Finland.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Ranua Wildlife Park. Named after a small village in which it is located, Ranua Wildlife Park is the second-northernmost zoo in the world. The park is home to around 50 species of wildlife that include the moose, reindeer, lynx, Eurasian wolf, brown bear, and polar bear. Located 80km (50 miles) southwest of Rovaniemi, Ranua can be reached in one hour or less.
- Levi. Located near the city of Kittilä, Levi is a true winter sports paradise. The area’s cross-country skiing tracks are more than 230km (143 miles) long, and Levi also has plenty of opportunities for downhill skiing, snowboarding, and even snowmobile driving. Located 170km (105 miles) north of Rovaniemi, Levi can be reached in about 2 hours. While it might suffice to make the trip in a single day, it’s best to leave at least 2 or 3 days aside for a visit here.
- Oulu. The largest city of Northern Finland, over the last couple of decades Oulu has become an important hub for science and technology. There are fitting attractions like the Tietomaa Science Center, a fun and interactive place that all generations will enjoy. From the Oulu Castle, the Automobile Museum, the Sailor’s Home Museum, to the Oulu Museum of Art, Oulu has plenty of other landmarks as well,. Located 210km (130 miles) southwest of Rovaniemi, Oulu can be reached in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Rovaniemi is the VW Golf, although many travelers also choose the Skoda Fabia and the Ford Mondeo. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and full-size.
- Inari. A town with a population of 7,000, Inari has four official languages, three of them being different varieties of Sami. Inari is often called the Sami capital of the world and the city’s Siida Museum is dedicated to the history, culture, and present of the reindeer herding nomadic people. Inari is located on the western coast of the beautiful Lake Inari; many of its islands and surrounding caves hold sacred meaning for the Sami. Inari is 325km (202 miles) north of Rovaniemi and can be reached in about 3 hours and 40 minutes, most of the road taking the traveler through stunning nature uninhabited by humans.
- Käsivarsi Wilderness Area. Speaking of wilderness, Europe has very few places as remote and uncompromising as Käsivarsi. Made up of high hills, barren valleys, and almost no trees, the area is home to species like the Arctic fox, wolverine, and snowy owl. Some of its attractions include the Kilpisjärvi Nature Centre and Fell Lapland Nature Center. Located on the border with Norway, Käsivarsi is 420km (260 miles) northwest of Rovaniemi and can be reached in about five hours.
- Norrland. The Swedish side of Lapland, the Norrland region is made up of small, but unique cities like Gävle and Luleå, frozen mountains, and the national parks of Laponia and Abisko. From visiting wildlife refuges to going on a husky dog sled tour or rafting in the mountain rivers when the summer comes, there’s plenty to do here. Luleå is only 250km (155 miles) southwest of Rovaniemi and can be reached in 2 hours and 30 minutes; you can see the rest of the region from there. Since you’d have to cross an international border, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it.
Car Rental Prices in Rovaniemi
- Station wagons - from $50 per day
- Large cars - from $99 per day
- Medium cars - from $46 per day
- People Carriers / Vans - from $96 per day
- Premium cars - from $214 per day
- Small cars - from $41 per day
- SUVs - from $229 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Follow these simple tips to land a great rental car in Rovaniemi:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Rovaniemi is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 34% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 59% cheaper than renting in March. Come visit Lapland in springtime!
Top 11 Cities near Rovaniemi
Helsinki Car Rentals from $30.51 per day695.7 km / 432.3 miles away
Oulu Car Rentals from $40.47 per day182.8 km / 113.6 miles away
Tampere Car Rentals from $39.71 per day582.5 km / 362.0 miles away
Kittilä Car Rentals from $38.00 per day133.6 km / 83.0 miles away
Ivalo Car Rentals from $38.00 per day237.0 km / 147.3 miles away
Turku Car Rentals from $42.84 per day695.0 km / 431.9 miles away
623.8 km / 387.6 miles away
Kuusamo Car Rentals from $38.00 per day165.3 km / 102.7 miles away
Kemi Car Rentals from $38.00 per day102.9 km / 63.9 miles away
Vaasa Car Rentals from $45.95 per day435.1 km / 270.4 miles away
Joensuu Car Rentals from $45.95 per day469.2 km / 291.6 miles away
Top 15 Locations near Rovaniemi
Rovaniemi Railway Station Car Rentals from $28.42 per day
Rovaniemi Airport Car Rentals from $28.42 per day9.0 km / 5.6 miles away
Kemi-Tornio Airport Car Rentals from $38.00 per day93.9 km / 58.4 miles away
Kittilä Airport Car Rentals from $38.00 per day138.8 km / 86.2 miles away
Oulu Railway Station Car Rentals from $46.58 per day165.6 km / 102.9 miles away
Kuusamo Airport Car Rentals from $38.00 per day168.2 km / 104.5 miles away
Oulu Airport Car Rentals from $40.47 per day175.2 km / 108.9 miles away
Ivalo Airport Car Rentals from $38.00 per day245.3 km / 152.4 miles away
Vaasa Airport Car Rentals from $45.95 per day426.3 km / 264.9 miles away
Joensuu Airport Car Rentals from $45.95 per day465.2 km / 289.0 miles away
Tampere Railway Station Car Rentals from $46.47 per day563.8 km / 350.3 miles away
Tampere-Pirkkala Airport Car Rentals from $39.71 per day574.5 km / 357.0 miles away
Turku Airport Car Rentals from $42.84 per day686.7 km / 426.7 miles away
Helsinki Airport Car Rentals from $30.51 per day688.3 km / 427.7 miles away
Helsinki Railway Station Car Rentals from $38.87 per day704.5 km / 437.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Rovaniemi?
What’s the usual rental length in Rovaniemi?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Rovaniemi?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Rental Agent||Make / Model||Doors||Luggage||Type|
|GreenMotion||Toyota Yaris Hybrid||5||3||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||5||1||Small cars|
|AddCar||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Toyota Yaris||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||5||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Octavia Combi||5||2||Station wagons|
|Global Rent a Car||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Mazda 3||4||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Skoda Fabia||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Top 9 Suppliers for Rovaniemi in 2019
Why choose us?
Exclusive rates from a wide range of suppliersProviding rental offers for over 2,000,000 cars in 150+ countries, we can find you a great car in the right location for the best price
High level of satisfactionGreat Trustpilot review score – 4.6 – based on feedback from thousands of our customers
Personalized assistance during the reservation process24/7 customer support in 12 languages via your preferred channel — chat, phone, email