Car Rental in Latvia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Latvia?
Latvia is a great country to explore by car. The driving distances between different regions are not large, but diversity in traditions, culture, and landscape is noticeable, so there is plenty to discover, especially in terms of untamed natural beauty.
One-way Car Rentals in Latvia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Latvia and drop off in another country:
- From Latvia to Estonia - 110 offers from US$ 32.04 per day
- From Latvia to Lithuania - 161 offers from US$ 32.04 per day
- From Latvia to Poland - 79 offers from US$ 66.72 per day
- From Latvia to Netherlands - 21 offers from US$ 169.38 per day
- From Latvia to Italy - 21 offers from US$ 221.93 per day
Top ways to enter Latvia
- Riga Airport: By far the largest airport in the country, and in the Baltic States, Riga Airport serves flights to many destinations in Europe, as well as to Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and USA.
- Liepaja Airport: Located near the Baltic Sea in Western Latvia, Liepaja Airport currently only serves one route, to Riga.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, you can pick up a car in a nearby country and then drive to Latvia. International airports near Latvia include Tallinn Airport in Estonia, Vilnius Airport in Lithuania, and Helsinki Airport in Finland.
Top cities and places to visit
Riga: Latvia’s capital and by far the largest city should be visited for its history and architecture, as well as for its art and culture initiatives.
Kurzeme: Proud in character and history, Kurzeme, or Courland, has cozy towns and a long, pristine sea coast where anyone can find a beach just for themselves.
Vidzeme: Towns like Cēsis rightfully attract history lovers, but Vidzeme also boasts vast nature areas and picturesque countryside villages around Vecpiebalga.
Zemgale: The historical bread basket of Latvia and home to most noticeable pre-Christian settlements, Zemgale now attracts visitors with its castles, as well as the Great Ķemeri Moorland.
Latgale: Unique in tradition and character, Latgale is famous for its countless blue lakes, colorful Orthodox, Old Believer, and Catholic churches, and hospitable people.
Most popular rental car
The most popular the VW Polo, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the VW Golf.
Latvia is bordered by Lithuania, Belarus, Russia, and Estonia. Like Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are members of the Schengen Area which means that they have the same entry requirements as those of Latvia.
Neither Belarus nor Russia are members of the Schengen Area. Each of the two countries have their own visa policy and you may or may not need a visa to visit either one of them. We advise you getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you plan to enter either of these countries from Latvia.
Some rental car providers will permit picking up a car in Latvia and dropping it off in a neighboring country while others will not, so do get in touch with them in advance to find out their policy. Generally speaking, many rental car providers will permit picking up a car in Latvia and dropping it off in Estonia or Lithuania. Those who permit picking up a rental car in Latvia and dropping it off in Belarus or Russia are much more rare, but can still be found. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Latvia is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- Riga - Tallinn (316 km / 196 mi) The route between the two Baltic capitals can be done in just four hours, but there are many places to visit on the way, such as the Gulf of Riga beaches in Latvia and Pärnu, Estonia’s cozy third city.
- Riga - Vilnius (289 km / 179 mi) Going south, Lithuania’s capital and largest city is just four hours away, but if you’re not in a hurry, make stops at Mežotne Palace and Rundāle Palace in Latvia or the city of Panevėžys in Lithuania.
- Riga - Liepaja (217 km / 135 mi) The distance from the capital to the Courland’s largest city can be done in three hours, and you’ll be going through the cozy little town of Saldus, but small detours from the main road can also take you to historic Kuldīga, as well as Pāvilosta, an up-and-coming Baltic surfing spot.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $47 per day
- Large cars - from $52 per day
- Medium cars - from $36 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $67 per day
- Premium cars - from $111 per day
- Small cars - from $24 per day
- SUVs - from $119 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Latvia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Latvia is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average and about 70% cheaper than getting a car in July.
Top 8 Most Popular Locations in Latvia
Car Rental at Riga Airport from $9.90 per day
Car Rental at Riga Port from $17.56 per day
Car Rental at Shopping Centre Riga Plaza from $28.11 per day
Car Rental at Riga Bus Station from $18.86 per day
Car Rental Riga Agenskalns from $18.86 per day
Car Rental at Jurmala Airport (EVJA) from $29.92 per day
Car Rental at Liepaja International Airport from $29.92 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Latvia?
What’s the average rental length in Latvia?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Latvia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Ace Rent a car||Toyota CH-R||4||3||SUVs|
|AddCar||VW Golf||4||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Skoda Fabia||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Mercedes Benz Vito||5||2||People Carriers/Vans|
|Ace Rent a car||VW Golf||5||4||Medium cars|