Car Rental in Latvia
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Latvia?
Latvia is a great country to explore by car. The driving distances between different regions are not large, but diversity in traditions, culture, and landscape is noticeable, so there is plenty to discover, especially in terms of untamed natural beauty.
One-way Car Rentals in Latvia
Here are the most popular one-way rental options for pickup in Latvia and drop off in another country:
- From Latvia to Estonia - 110 offers from € 26.34 per day
- From Latvia to Lithuania - 161 offers from € 26.34 per day
- From Latvia to Poland - 79 offers from € 54.86 per day
- From Latvia to Netherlands - 21 offers from € 139.26 per day
- From Latvia to Portugal - 21 offers from € 242.97 per day
Top ways to enter Latvia
- Riga Airport: By far the largest airport in the country, and in the Baltic States, Riga Airport serves flights to many destinations in Europe, as well as to Asia, the Middle East, North Africa, and USA.
- Liepaja Airport: Located near the Baltic Sea in Western Latvia, Liepaja Airport currently only serves one route, to Riga.
- By land: If your rental car provider permits it, you can pick up a car in a nearby country and then drive to Latvia. International airports near Latvia include Tallinn Airport in Estonia, Vilnius Airport in Lithuania, and Helsinki Airport in Finland.
Top cities and places to visit
- Riga. Riga is not only the primary city and capital of Latvia but is also the largest city in the Baltics. Many visitors are attracted by its well-preserved Old Town and Art Nouveau (or Jugendstil) architecture, but plenty of historic gems, interesting museums, and active cultural life can also be found outside the city center as the rest of Riga’s neighborhoods try to invent themselves as attractive tourist destinations and communities. Some of the best places to explore include Riga Central Market, the Maskavas Forštate neighborhood with its multiethnic and multi-religious heritage, and the neighborhoods of Ķīpsala and Āgenskalns across the Daugava River.
- Liepāja. Located in the southwest of the country, the third-biggest city in Latvia is known for its well-preserved architecture, scenic city beaches, and free-spirited atmosphere. Karosta, a former closed Soviet military town, is a distinct part of the city that remains rough around the edges but has been attracting an increasing number of visitors thanks to its coastal forts, St. Nicholas’ Naval Cathedral, and a former prison that has now been turned into a tourist attraction.
- Gauja National Park. Located in the historical region of Vidzeme, Gauja National Park is both the largest protected nature area in Latvia and one of its chief attractions. Named after the long and swift river at its center, the area is known for its scenic coastal cliffs and caves, thick forests, many hiking trails, and the bordering towns of Cēsis and Sigulda, both of which are popular tourist destinations. The drive from Riga to the main entrance takes only about 80 minutes.
Most popular rental car
The most popular the VW Polo, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the VW Golf.
Driver license requirements
- Latvia recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses that are written in a Latin alphabet and if you’re visiting for a period that’s shorter than six months.
- If you’ve been in Latvia for longer than six months or are living there permanently, the law requires you to obtain a Portuguese driver’s license
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP instead.
- Even if you have an IDP, you must also carry your original driver’s license as you might be required to present both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Latvia is bordered by Lithuania, Belarus, Russia, and Estonia. Like Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania are members of the Schengen Area which means that they have the same entry requirements as those of Latvia.
Neither Belarus nor Russia are members of the Schengen Area. Each of the two countries have their own visa policy and you may or may not need a visa to visit either one of them. We advise you getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs if you plan to enter either of these countries from Latvia.
Some rental car providers will permit picking up a car in Latvia and dropping it off in a neighboring country while others will not, so do get in touch with them in advance to find out their policy. Generally speaking, many rental car providers will permit picking up a car in Latvia and dropping it off in Estonia or Lithuania. Those who permit picking up a rental car in Latvia and dropping it off in Belarus or Russia are much more rare, but can still be found. Learn more about cross-border rentals in our FAQ section.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type in Latvia is an economy, followed by compact and mini.
Top driving routes
- Ķemeri National Park. Located less than an hour’s drive from Riga, Ķemeri is one of the most popular day trips for locals and foreign visitors alike. The protected area is made up of bogs, mires, and other wetlands that are crisscrossed by a network of wooden paths. Very scenic, the area is notable for its diversity of flora and fauna and is especially lovely to visit at dusk or dawn. The national park is near the lakes of Ķanieris and Sloka (the former is technically part of the park), two notable nesting sites of wading birds, and the historical fishing villages on the coast of the Gulf of Riga are also a very short drive away.
- Daugavpils. Located in the southeast of the country, Daugavpils used to be largely overlooked as a travel destination but has been steadily growing in stature over the last decade. The second city of Latvia is home to attractions like the Mark Rothko Center (the famous abstract painter was born in the city), Daugavpils Fortress (not just a single structure, but a distinct and interesting neighborhood), and eclectic architecture scattered throughout the city. Daugavpils can also serve as a base for exploring the historical regions of Selonia and Latgale — the Basilica of Aglona, the historic town of Krāslava, the Bends of Daugava Nature Park, and the Old Believers’ Heritage Center are all within an hour’s drive from it.
- Kuldīga. One of the most visited towns in Latvia, Kuldīga is home to a beautiful historic center made up of 17th-18th century wooden and stone buildings and atmospheric narrow side streets. Another landmark, the Venta Rapid, is only 2 m (6.5 feet) high, but its width has earned it the title of the widest waterfall in Europe. There are a number of day trips you can take from Kuldīga including the historic town of Aizpute (as scenic as Kuldīga, but not yet discovered by most tourists), the monumental Padure Manor, the culturally distinct Alsunga known for its delicious cuisine, and the coastal town of Pāvilosta.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $45 per day
- Large cars - from $50 per day
- Medium cars - from $35 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $64 per day
- Premium cars - from $106 per day
- Small cars - from $24 per day
- SUVs - from $113 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Latvia:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Latvia is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 46% cheaper than the yearly average and about 70% cheaper than getting a car in July.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Latvia?
What’s the average rental length in Latvia?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Latvia?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Polo||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||VW Golf||4||2||Medium cars|
|ABBYCAR||VW Golf||4||3||Medium cars|
|Ace Rent a car||Toyota Corolla||4||3||Large cars|
|GreenMotion||Toyota C-HR||4||1||Medium cars|
|GreenMotion||Toyota Yaris 2020||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.