Car Rental in Iceland
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Iceland?
Iceland is a great country to explore by car. Despite having a population of less than half a million people, it offers plenty to every traveler, especially in terms of natural beauty. Iceland is surprisingly vast and there is no public transportation to many of the landmarks outside the capital, so getting your own ride is a smart investment.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Iceland, don't miss our complete guide.
Top ways to enter Iceland
- Keflavík Airport: Located about 50 km (31 mi) southwest of Iceland’s capital, Keflavik is by far the largest and busiest airport in the country.
- Reykjavík Airport: Also known as Reykjavik Domestic, this airport serves flights to destinations in the rest of Iceland, as well as to Greenland and Faroe Islands.
- Egilsstaðir Airport: Located on Iceland’s eastern coast, Egilsstaðir currently only has one regular public flight, connecting it to Reykjavik.
Top cities and places to visit
- Reykjavík: Home to nearly two thirds of Iceland’s population (if you include its suburbs), Reykjavik is a world-class destination in terms of culture, arts, and even food.
- Akureyri: Cozy, but full of life and invention, the capital of North Iceland also provides access to many unique nature areas and landmarks.
- North Iceland: The rest of North Iceland can boast Goðafoss waterfall, Mývatn crater lake, and Vindbelgjarfjall volcano as just some of its unique nature areas. Meanwhile, Húsavík is great for whale watching and spotting some unique Arctic bird species.
- South Iceland: Tourists love this region not only for its accessibility, but also for countless waterfalls, thermal waters, and black sand beaches.
- West Fjords: Wild and beautiful, this northwest peninsula is a place to go on a nature tour and then make some new friends in one the area’s few small villages.
Most popular rental car
The most picked rental car in Iceland is the VW Polo, but the Jeep Renegade Trailhawk and the Fiat 500 are also popular.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental car type is an Economy, followed by Intermediate and Compact.
Top driving routes
- Keflavík - Reykjavík (49 km / 30 mi) After landing at Keflavík Airport, most travelers go straight to the nation’s capital, but before speeding northeast you might want to stick around Keflavík town for a couple of hours as it is worth visiting in its own right.
- Reykjavík - Akureyri (388 km / 241 mi) You will truly appreciate having your own ride during this five hour epic drive, as there are opportunities for many fascinating detours into the Icelandic wilderness on the way.
- Reykjavík - Höfn (458 km / 284 mi) It takes full six hours to do this route, but time will pass you by as most of the time you’ll be driving along the Iceland’s spectacular southern sea coast.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $78 per day
- Large cars - from $88 per day
- Medium cars - from $72 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $168 per day
- Small cars - from $58 per day
- SUVs - from $136 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Iceland:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Iceland is the cheapest in October when renting a car is about 55% cheaper than the yearly average.
- Check out our list of the best rental companies in Reykjavik.
Top 7 Most Popular Locations in Iceland
Car Rental at Keflavik Airport from $24.05 per day
Car Rental at Reykjavik Airport from $50.21 per day
Car Rental at Reykjavik Bus Station from $55.97 per day
Car Rental at Reykjavik Harbour from $39.55 per day
Car Rental at Akureyri Airport from $50.21 per day
Car Rental at Isafjordur Airport from $64.63 per day
Car Rental at Egilsstadir Airport from $50.21 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Iceland?
What’s the average rental length in Iceland?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Iceland?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|FairCar||Hyundai i10||5||2||Small cars|
|Icerental4x4||Suzuki Grand Vitara||5||3||SUVs|
|Ace Rent a car||Nissan Qashqai||5||3||SUVs|
|Ace Rent a car||Kia Rio||5||3||Small cars|
|Icerental4x4||Hyundai I20||5||2||Small cars|