Car Rental in Ajaccio
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Ajaccio?
Ajaccio is a fascinating place to visit. Located on a picturesque bay on the western coast of Corsica, Napoleon's birthplace is home to an impressive citadel, museums with world-class artworks, and the fabled Corsican hospitality. Ajaccio is surrounded by many beautiful beaches and nature areas; thanks to the city’s convenient location, you can also easily explore the rest of the island from here.
One-Way Car Rentals in Ajaccio
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Ajaccio and drop off in another city include:
- From Ajaccio to Bastia - 17 offers from US$ 45.71 per day
- From Ajaccio to Calvi - 14 offers from US$ 45.71 per day
Top ways to enter Ajaccio
- Ajaccio Airport: Also known as Napoleon Bonaparte Airport and Campo dell’Oro Airport, it served 1.6 million travelers in 2018. The airport is especially active during the summer months when more than ten different airlines fly to and from Ajaccio. The airport is located 5.3 km (3.3 miles) east of the city center and can be reached in about ten minutes by car.
- Figari Airport: Serving the communes of Figari and Porto Vecchio, Figari-South Corsica Airport is usually closed during winter. It is a lot more active in summer when it has flights by ten different airlines, including low-cost carriers like Ryanair, easyJet, and Volotea. Located 120 km (75 miles) south of Ajaccio, Figari Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- Bastia Airport: The main air hub of North Corsica, Bastia-Poretta Airport handled 1.5 million travelers in 2018. Nearly 20 different airlines fly to Bastia, connecting it to mainland France and other countries in Western Europe. Located 132 km (82 miles) northeast of Ajaccio, Bastia Airport can be reached in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.
- Calvi Airport: The fourth and smallest international airport on Corsica, Calvi-Saint Catherine handled just over 300,000 travelers in 2018. Like other Corsican airports, it is mainly active during the warm months of the year, with only Air France providing year-round service. Located 165 km (103 miles) north of Ajaccio, Calvi Airport can be reached in just under three hours.
- By sea: It’s possible to arrive in Ajaccio by ferry - there are connections to other destinations in Corsica, cities on mainland France, and Porto Torres on the neighboring Italian island of Sardinia. It’s important to check the ferry schedule in advance as the routes are much more frequent during the summer and early autumn months. While some ferry companies permit bringing a car on a ship, ask your rental car provider in advance if they permit it. Another option is to travel without a rental car and to pick up one after arriving in Ajaccio.
Useful city facts
- Like the rest of Corsica, Ajaccio has a warm and sunny Mediterranean climate. The average high temperature is 29°C (84°F) in August, the warmest month, and 14°C (57°F) in February, the coldest. Ajaccio is extremely from June to mid-September, but there’s a sharp increase in precipitation every October and November. Ajaccio gets, on average, 1,000 hours of sunshine more per year than Paris does.
- With around 70,000 inhabitants, Ajaccio is both the capital and the largest town on Corsica. In addition to native Corsicans, French from the mainland, and Italians, Ajaccio also has large communities of Moroccans and Algerians. French is spoken by virtually everyone on the island, but a lot of people continue to use Corsican as well. Knowledge of English and Italian is high among people working in the tourism and service industries. A person from Ajaccio is called an ajaccien.
Top destinations and activities
- Citadel. Dominating the view of Ajaccio if you’re arriving by sea, the citadel is one of the symbols of the city. Founded in the late 15th century and later renovated a number of times, it resembles the mighty fortresses of Genoa. Although you can’t visit the citadel from inside - it continues to house the French military - even seeing it from outside is one of the great Ajaccio experiences.
- Napoleon’s House. Most people know that Napoleon Bonaparte was one of the most famous and successful military leaders in French history. It is lesser-known, however, that he was actually born in Corsica and that his mother tongue was Corsican, not French. Nowadays, the house where he was born, Maison Bonaparte, has been turned into an interesting museum and is one of the main tourist attractions in Ajaccio.
- Musee Fesch. Corsica has always had strong ties with Italy - the Corsican language is closer to Italian than French and the island of Sardinia is just a stone’s throw from the island. These connections also extend to art, and this Ajaccio museum is a prime example - it hosts artworks by such world-famous Italian masters as Raphael, Sandro Botticelli, and Titian.
Traffic and parking tips
- The speed limit in cities is 50km/h, although in certain areas the speed limit may be reduced to 30km/h. Unlike that of inter-city roads, the urban speed limit is unaffected by the weather.
- Outside cities and as of May 2019, the speed limit depends on the type of the road. Highways are limited to 130km/h, 4-lane expressways to 110km/h, and 2- or 3- lane roads to 90km/h. When it is raining, the limits are respectively lowered to 110km/h, 100 km/h, and 80km/h. The general speed limit is lowered to 50km/h during periods of heavy fog or other times when visibility is impaired.
- Proof of insurance and the car’s documentation need to be in the car whenever you’re driving.
- When driving, you need to have your passport or ID card with you at all times.
- As of 2019, hands-free mobile phone use is banned in France and the fines are hefty.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
There are no toll roads in Corsica, but there are many toll roads on the mainland of France.
Most of the main highways in France (autoroute in French) are toll roads. Their names start with a letter A and you can recognize them by their red number sign. The toll for using a toll road depends on the specific route, distance traveled, as well as the type of vehicle - trailer cars and caravans have to pay more than regular cars. You can pay by credit card or in cash. You’ll be given a ticket that you have to keep while on the toll road.
Some rental cars are equipped with toll road transponders that can be used at the automatic toll booths (télépéage). Ask your rental car provider to find out if they offer cars with toll road transponders.
Ideas for a day-trip
- Filitosa. A prehistoric settlement dating back to the Bronze Age, Filitosa was only discovered in the 1940s. The site is the location of impressive standing stones with human faces carved in them. Virtually nothing is known of the culture that made the stones or the purpose behind creating them, but it is nonetheless a fascinating place to visit. Located 50 km (31 miles) southeast of Ajaccio, Filitosa can be reached in just over one hour.
- Corte. Located in the inland part of the island which is rarely explored by international travelers, Corte is an amazing place to visit. Located high in the mountains, the city seems more vertical than horizontal, with many steep paths and houses seemingly built on top of one another (they sometimes say that one house’s roof is another house’s garden in Corte). Some places cannot be accessed by car, but the long climbs are worth it as they offer amazing mountain views. The Corte Fortress and the Museum of Corsica should not be missed, and a number of ski resorts are also nearby. Located 80 km (50 miles) northeast of Ajaccio, Corte takes 1 hour and 40 minutes to reach.
- Bonifacio. Known as Bunifaziu in Corsican, this little coastal settlement is the southernmost town in Corsica. The attractions include St. Erasmus Church, the city citadel which offers an amazing view of the port below, and, of course, awesome beaches. Located 130 km (80 miles) south of Ajaccio, Bonifacio can be reached in about 2 hour and 30minutes.
Most popular rental types and cars
The most popular rental car in Ajaccio is the Peugeot 308, closely rivaled by the Ford Focus and the Citroen C4. The most popular rental car types are compact, economy, and standard.
- Calvi. The busiest resort town in Corsica, Calvi is all about its coastline. This is the right place to work on your tan, go kayaking, or even splurge on a ride on a yacht. If you’re up for something more active, you can also go diving in the nearby corals or take a boat ride to Scandola, a protected marine nature reserve. Located 165 km (102 miles) north of Ajaccio, Calvi can be reached in about three hours; there is also a coastal route that would take slightly longer, but would be more scenic and take you through a number of little villages.
- Porto-Vecchio. The town of Porto-Vecchio is the most famous beach location in the southern part of the island. Its central beaches next to the city marina are busy and lined with bars and restaurants, but with a rental car, you can also find more secluded and tranquil spots. The city itself is home to an impressive old bastion. Located 140 km (87 miles) southeast of Ajaccio, Porto-Vecchio can be reached in 2 hours and 40 minutes.
- Bastia. The largest town in the northern part of Corsica, Bastia has plenty for a visitor to enjoy. Attractions include the prettiest harbor on the island, an impressive citadel, and St. John the Baptist Cathedral. From Bastia, you can explore the untamed Cape Corse peninsula. Located 150 km (93 miles) from Ajaccio, Bastia takes about 2 hours and 40 minutes to reach.
Car Rental Prices in Ajaccio
- Station wagons - from $97 per day
- Large cars - from $57 per day
- Medium cars - from $58 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $57 per day
- Small cars - from $51 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
Get a great rental car in Corsica by following these simple tips:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Ajaccio is the cheapest in June when renting a car is about 43% cheaper than the yearly average and 66% cheaper than renting in November. Enjoy your summer holiday by coming to Corsica!
Top 20 Cities near Ajaccio
Paris Car Rentals from $23.18 per day922.1 km / 573.0 miles away
Lyon Car Rentals from $33.06 per day517.3 km / 321.4 miles away
Nice Car Rentals from $23.27 per day232.9 km / 144.7 miles away
Marseille Car Rentals from $23.36 per day337.7 km / 209.9 miles away
Toulouse Car Rentals from $22.96 per day627.9 km / 390.2 miles away
Bordeaux Car Rentals from $33.30 per day833.0 km / 517.6 miles away
Montpellier Car Rentals from $27.19 per day442.7 km / 275.1 miles away
Bastia Car Rentals from $28.34 per day89.9 km / 55.9 miles away
Figari Car Rentals from $47.28 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
Strasbourg Car Rentals from $28.14 per day745.5 km / 463.2 miles away
Toulon Car Rentals from $28.14 per day253.5 km / 157.5 miles away
Grenoble Car Rentals from $23.94 per day473.3 km / 294.1 miles away
Perpignan Car Rentals from $28.14 per day495.5 km / 307.9 miles away
Beauvais Car Rentals from $28.29 per day984.5 km / 611.8 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Car Rentals from $19.29 per day331.5 km / 206.0 miles away
Limoges Car Rentals from $26.88 per day750.7 km / 466.4 miles away
Massy Car Rentals from $23.18 per day912.5 km / 567.0 miles away
386.3 km / 240.0 miles away
Biarritz Car Rentals from $28.14 per day860.8 km / 534.9 miles away
Mulhouse Car Rentals from $28.14 per day638.1 km / 396.5 miles away
Top 17 Locations near Ajaccio
Corsica Ajaccio Airport Car Rentals from $28.34 per day
Figari-Sud Corse Airport Car Rentals from $47.28 per day52.9 km / 32.9 miles away
Calvi – Sainte-Catherine Airport Car Rentals from $40.89 per day66.6 km / 41.4 miles away
Corsica Bastia - Poretta Airport Car Rentals from $28.34 per day89.9 km / 55.9 miles away
Nice Airport Car Rentals from $23.27 per day232.9 km / 144.7 miles away
Cannes - Mandelieu Airport Car Rentals from $21.20 per day234.8 km / 145.9 miles away
La Môle - Saint Tropez Airport Car Rentals from $22.02 per day237.3 km / 147.5 miles away
Toulon-Hyères Airport Car Rentals from $28.14 per day253.5 km / 157.5 miles away
Marseille-Saint-Charles Train Station Car Rentals from $23.49 per day318.9 km / 198.2 miles away
Aix-en-Provence Train Station Car Rentals from $19.29 per day331.5 km / 206.0 miles away
Marseille Provence Airport Car Rentals from $23.36 per day337.7 km / 209.9 miles away
Avignon Train Station Car Rentals from $26.11 per day395.0 km / 245.5 miles away
Manduel Train Station Car Rentals from $28.15 per day408.0 km / 253.5 miles away
Nimes Airport Car Rentals from $45.38 per day411.3 km / 255.6 miles away
Montpellier-Méditerranée Airport Car Rentals from $26.70 per day435.8 km / 270.8 miles away
Moûtiers-Salins-Brides-les-Bains Train Station Car Rentals from $38.68 per day436.1 km / 271.0 miles away
Grenoble Train Station Car Rentals from $26.24 per day440.2 km / 273.5 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Ajaccio?
What’s the usual rental length in Ajaccio?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Ajaccio?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Alamo||Renault Twingo||3||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Budget||Peugeot 108||2||1||Small cars|
|Hertz||Ford Grand C Max||5||3||People Carriers/Vans|
|Avis||Renault Twingo||5||1||Small cars|
|Europcar||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 5008||5||1||People Carriers/Vans|
|SIXT||Peugeot 208||5||2||Small cars|
|SIXT||Peugeot 308||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.