Car Hire at Crete Airport Heraklion
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Offers
Airport Car Hire
Birthplace of some of the earliest civilizations of mankind and home to more than 1,000 km (620 miles) of coastline, Crete attracts thousands of British tourists every year. Whether you go for the island’s cultured capital, Heraklion; Ancient Greek sites; or those spectacular beaches, you’re likely to find what you came for. Here’s our pick of destinations in Heraklion and the eastern part of the island:
- Knossos. More than two thousand years ago, the Greek mainland and islands, including Crete, were inhabited by peoples and civilizations known to us as the Ancient Greeks. But mysterious and ancient to them were the first inhabitants of Knossos who first settled there about 7,000 years ago. Often called Europe’s first city, Knossos is nowadays an architectural site open to tourists who can take a glimpse into the life that once thrived there. Located just 5 km (3.1 miles) south of the centre of Heraklion and easily reached by car, Knossos is not to be missed. Even better, a ticket for the Palace of Knossos also lets you visit the Heraklion Archaeological Museum.
- Cretaquarium. One of the largest islands in the Mediterranean Sea, Crete is characterized not only by its history and culture but also the water life that surrounds it. The best place to learn about it is Cretaquarium, a public aquarium and marine life research centre in the nearby town of Hernassinos. The aquarium is home to species that once inspired legends among the sailors, such as stingrays, red scorpionfish, and sand tiger sharks. Only 18 km (12 miles) east of Heraklion, Cretaquarium can be reached in about 20 minutes by car.
- Sitia. With many famous beach towns and resorts on the northern coast of Crete, little Sitia might fly under the international tourists’ radar. But those who come to this simple, quaint beach town will find not only a more relaxed pace of life and picturesque waterfront but also Vai, the largest palm forest in Europe. Go on a stroll on one of its paths and you might find a picturesque, nearly empty beach at the end. Located about 130 km (80 miles) east of Heraklion, Sitia can be reached in two hours by car.
- Mountains. Although the island of Crete is only about 50 km (32 miles) wide — and significantly less in some places — the island is home to some really impressive mountains. The highest peak in the eastern part of the island is Skathi at 2,148 m (7,050 ft), nearly matched by the nearby Psari Madara and Lazaros mountains. Whether you decide to go on an epic climb to reach the summit of one of these often-snow capped peaks or take a more relaxed hike in the plateau, the fresh mountain air and spectacular views are not going to disappoint. Psychro Cave, a good starting point and a tourist attraction where, according to a myth, infant Zeus was fed goat milk, is 60 km (37 miles) from Heraklion and can be reached in about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Top international routes
Most popular types of hire car
- Convertibles - starting at £ 22 per day
- Station wagons - starting at £ 30 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 34 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 17 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - starting at £ 39 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 12 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 41 per day
Car hire desks
Services and facilities
Nearest petrol station
Popular one-way hires
- Agios Nikolaos (62 km / 38 mi). Located on the northeastern coast of the island, Agios Nikolaos is one of the most popular tourist destinations on Crete. Thousands of travelers come here every year to enjoy its nice beaches, quaint surrounding villages, and nearby islands that can be accessed by boat.
- Chania (142 km / 88 mi). The other large city of Crete, Chania has plenty of sites to visit and things to do. Some of the highlights are the well-preserved Etz Hayyim Synagogue, the Archaeological Museum, the old Venetian port, and some of the best restaurants on Crete.
- Hersonissos (25 km / 15 mi). A small city located roughly halfway between Heraklion and Agios Nikolaos, Hersonissos is a classical coastal party town - come summer, its long and built-up coastal strip will be full of beach bars, restaurants, and impromptu celebrations.
- Ierapetra (96 km / 59 mi). Another beach city, but with a much more relaxed vibe, Ierapetra and the surrounding southeastern coast is a great day-trip destination from Heraklion. The town is often claimed to be the warmest place in Europe and is nearly equidistant from mainland Greece, Turkey in Asia, and Libya in Africa. In addition to beautiful beaches, the town is also home to a nearby donkey sanctuary.
Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- IATA: HER
- ICAO: LGIR
- Name: Crete Airport Heraklion (HER)
- Size: Large Airport
- Flights per year: 50,754
- Passengers (per year): 7,480,408
- Distance from the city centre: 3.1 miles / 5 km E of town
- Phone: 302810397800
- Email: email@example.com
Top 20 Destinations around Heraklion Airport
Heraklion Port starting at £ 5.80 per day1.4 km / 0.9 miles away
Kokkini Hani Arina Beach Resort starting at £ 4.60 per day7.5 km / 4.6 miles away
Hersonissos Lyttos Beach hotel starting at £ 4.79 per day17.2 km / 10.7 miles away
Hotel Delivery starting at £ 9.22 per day19.4 km / 12.1 miles away
Malia Ikaros Beach Resort & Spa starting at £ 4.79 per day26.6 km / 16.5 miles away
Agios Nikolaos Port starting at £ 14.12 per day52.6 km / 32.7 miles away
Sitia Public Airport starting at £ 16.42 per day86.5 km / 53.7 miles away
Crete Airport Chania starting at £ 5.86 per day94.1 km / 58.4 miles away
Chania Hotel Delivery starting at £ 5.86 per day105.3 km / 65.4 miles away
Chania Old Port starting at £ 5.86 per day105.4 km / 65.5 miles away
Santorini Port starting at £ 12.47 per day119.6 km / 74.3 miles away
Santorini Airport starting at £ 7.18 per day121.4 km / 75.4 miles away
Milos Airport starting at £ 11.84 per day162.9 km / 101.2 miles away
Karpathos Airport starting at £ 13.24 per day180.2 km / 112.0 miles away
Paros Airport starting at £ 9.14 per day185.9 km / 115.5 miles away
Paros Port starting at £ 16.42 per day194.3 km / 120.7 miles away
Naxos Airport starting at £ 14.92 per day194.6 km / 120.9 miles away
Naxos Port starting at £ 14.92 per day197.4 km / 122.7 miles away
Kythira Airport starting at £ 13.24 per day219.5 km / 136.4 miles away
Syros Airport starting at £ 10.57 per day232.5 km / 144.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
During which month is it most affordable to hire a car at Crete Airport Heraklion?
What’s the most popular hire length at Crete Airport Heraklion?
Which month sees the highest demand for car hire at Crete Airport Heraklion?
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Ok Rent A Car||Nissan Micra||4||2||Small cars|
|Carwiz||Suzuki Celerio||5||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||VW Polo||4||1||Small cars|
|RightCars||Toyota Aygo||3||1||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|AddCar||Opel Corsa||5||2||Small cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ok Rent A Car||VW Golf||5||2||Medium cars|
|AddCar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|