Car Rental on Curaçao
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car on Curaçao?
One of the three so-called ABC islands, an Antillean archipelago belonging to the Netherlands, Curacao is the epitome of an idyllic holiday in the sun. The country’s beaches are lovely, but the island also has plenty to offer when it comes to history, cuisine, and Caribbean hospitality.
Top ways to enter Curacao
- Curacao Airport. Also called Hato Airport, it is the port of entry for practically all the foreign visitors to Curacao. The airport handles about two million travelers every year, offering connections with other Caribbean destinations, North America, South America, and Europe. The airport is on Curacao’s north coast, about 12km (7.5 miles) from Willemstad, and can be easily reached from anywhere on the island.
Top cities and places to visit
- Beaches. Curacao is all about the beach and there’s plenty of beautiful spots to choose from along its 365km (225 mi) of coastline. While it would be impossible to list them all, highlights include the scenic and developed Kalki Beach near the island’s northern edge, the busy Kontiki and Mambo beaches known for their active nightlife, and the undisturbed, pristine Laguna and Jeremi beaches. Thanks to the influence of neighboring Spanish-speaking countries, a beach is called playa in Curacao (as in Playa Kalki and Playa Kontiki).
- Architecture in Willemstad. All visitors know about the stunning coastline of Curacao, but it comes as a surprise to many that the island is also great for sightseeing. In fact, there are over 700 UNESCO-protected buildings in Willemstad, one of the highest concentrations in the Americas. Most of the buildings date back to the colonial period and show clear Dutch influence but often with a Caribbean twist. Highlights include the Willemstad Synagogue — the oldest synagogue in the Americas — and the city’s scenic waterfront.
- Museums. Many of Willemstad’s buildings are not just pretty to look at, they often provide space for hotels and restaurants or museums and cultural institutions. Many of them are absolutely worth a visit, not least of which include the Kura Hulanda Museum of anthropology dedicated to the indigenous Caribbean and West African peoples who were the ancestors of the modern-day Curacaoan people and the interactive Maritime Museum.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Curacao is the Kia Picanto, although many travelers also go for the Volkswagen Fox and the Kia Rio. The most popular rental car types are economy, mini, and compact.
Driver license requirements
- Curacao recognizes foreign driver’s licenses as long as they are printed in either Dutch or English, the official languages of the island. If your driver’s license is in another language, you need to have an International Driving Permit (IDP) or an official translation of your driver’s license.
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also bring your original driver’s license from your home country as you will be required to show both.
- If you’re a foreign national who has been residing in Curacao permanently or visiting for longer than 30 days, you need to acquire a local driver’s license instead.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the terms and conditions before booking.
Curacao is an island and has no land borders.
Part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, Curacao has the status of a special member state territory of the European Union (EU). The country can be visited visa-free by the citizens of the European Union, as well as travelers from most (although not all) other Western and North and South American countries.
While many cruise ships stop in Curacao, there is no ferry service between the island and any of the neighboring islands or the nearest mainland countries, Venezuela and Colombia.
Top driving routes
- Diving. Curacao’s beaches are not just great for swimming and sunbathing, they also offer access to some of the best diving sites in the Caribbean. Highlights include the Mushroom Forest, a site on the east coast about a 30-minute drive from Willemstad that has coral heads resembling giant fungi, and Playa Tugboat, a beginner-friendly diving site known for a boat wreck and varied underwater life.
- Hato Caves. Only about a 15-minute drive from Willemstad, the Hato Caves are one of the most popular tourist attractions in Curacao. Stretching underground for about 240m (790 feet), they are known for the otherworldly karst formations and wall paintings left by the indigenous Carib people. Visit the site’s official website to learn more about it and book a tour.
- Shete Boka National Park. Located near the island’s northernmost point about a 50-minute drive from Willemstad, Sheta Boka is a contrast of scenic coastal coves and the rocky terrain that surrounds them. Remaining something of a hidden gem as it gets relatively few visitors, it is a great place for going on coastal hikes or simply watching impressive waves break against the coast.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $83 per day
- Large cars - from $78 per day
- Medium cars - from $61 per day
- Vans - from $89 per day
- Small cars - from $52 per day
- SUVs - from $79 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
There are several good methods to find a cheaper rental car:
- Compare the rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Curacao is the cheapest in April when renting a car is about 27% cheaper than the yearly average and a whole 47% cheaper than renting a car in December.
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car on Curaçao?
What’s the average rental length on Curaçao?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car on Curaçao?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Boric Car Rental||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Ross Rental Cars||Hyundai Atos||5||2||Small cars|
|Boric Car Rental||Toyota Yaris||4||3||Medium cars|
|Boric Car Rental||Nissan Versa||4||3||Medium cars|
|Ross Rental Cars||Hyundai Grand i10||5||1||Small cars|
|Boric Car Rental||Chevrolet Sonic||4||3||Medium cars|
|Europcar||VW Fox||4||1||Small cars|
|Prins Car Rental||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Ross Rental Cars||Volkswagen Gol||5||1||Small cars|
|Boric Car Rental||Kia Cerato||4||3||Large cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.