Car Hire in Dubai
Cheapest Car Hire Rates
Most Popular Car Hire Deals
Why hire a car in Dubai?
Known for its wealth and grandeur, it took literally just a few decades for Dubai to grow into a world-class metropolis. The futuristic architecture and opulence are what catch the eye the most, but scratch beneath the surface, and you’ll also discover interesting history and character.
One-way Car Hire in Dubai
The most popular one-way car hire options for pick up in Dubai and drop off in another city include:
- From Dubai to Abu Dhabi - 8 offers from £ 39.18 per day
- From Dubai to Sharjah - 20 offers from £ 237.04 per day
Top ways to enter Dubai
- Dubai Airport. One of the busiest in not just the Middle East but the whole planet, before the pandemic Dubai Airport handled close to 90 million travellers annually. There are flights to and from all the continents of the planet. Other, smaller airports in the Dubai area include Al Maktoum Airport (about an hour’s drive to the south of the city center), Abu Dhabi Airport (1 hour and 20 minutes to the south), and Sharjah Airport (40 minutes to the north).
Top destinations and activities
- Souks of Deira. Trading and haggling is a crucial part of the everyday economy in most Arab countries, so perhaps there’s no better place to learn about the Emirates than at a traditional market or souk. Some of the most interesting ones in Dubai are located in the neighborhood of Deira, which includes the textile, spice, and gold souks (although there are also several good ones in the Bar Dubai area as well).
- Al Fahidi. The last surviving part of the old Dubai, the Al Fahidi neighbourhood is one of the most atmospheric areas of this modern metropolis. Many of the traditional buildings had fallen into disrepair, but have been renovated, mostly with reverence for their old architectural styles. Al Fahidi is also home to the Sheikh Mohammed Centre, a great place for learning about the immaterial aspects of the Emirati culture such as traditions and customs.
- Jumeirah. A waterside neighbourhood, Jumeirah is known for its beaches, as well as being the location of impressive landmarks like Burj Khalifa, the highest building in the world. From Jumeirah Mosque to the Museum of the Future, tradition and modernity live hand in hand in this part of the city.
Traffic and parking
Travellers visiting Dubai will find a wide availability of parking. Most hotels offer free parking. Free parking is also available at metro stations (for users of the metro), at most malls (as long as you don’t stay over a certain amount of time), and at most attractions (provided you purchase a ticket).
Different parking zones exist in Dubai with different pricing structures. Parking in commercial zones is slightly cheaper if using a car park instead of on-street parking. The prices are the same in non-commercial areas for on-street parking and car parks. Downtown Dubai is a separate zone with separate pricing. The most convenient ways to pay for parking for a tourist are with coins at a parking machine or a prepaid card available in grocery stores in 30 AED or 100 AED amounts. Passes valid for a certain period of time are available, too, but start at 3 months. On Fridays, parking is free.
Once again, it should be noted that there is zero tolerance for drunk driving in Dubai. The legal blood alcohol content is 0. Penalties are stiff, including high fines, jail time, and deportation. Do not, under any circumstances, drink and then proceed to drive in Dubai.
Dubai has a metro system, including one line that extends more than 50 kilometers. Though drivers would normally ignore the metro, it may in fact be useful, even with a rental car, in Dubai. If travelling during peak times and to destinations that are near metro stations, it may be preferable to park at a station (for free) and take the metro avoiding significant time spent in traffic.
Dubai is the only Emirate to have roads with tolls. Unlike in other countries, these tolls are not for entire roads or sections of roads but gates for specific congested areas. Some of the gates are on one side of a bridge, while others are in the middle of a highway. Of particular note is the Airport Tunnel Gate, which will be passed by those travelling from the airport to the areas on the other side of it.
The gate system is called Salik. As in many other places in the world, the Salik works without toll booths. A prepaid card is used with tolls automatically deducted from it. Rental car providers are required to provide this card with their cars. Of course, all rental providers charge an administrative fee for this on a per-toll basis (ask your supplier for their specific policy). Tolls (without the administrative fee) are 4 AED each time you pass a toll gate. Most of the gates are, in fact, avoidable if you so choose. Check your planned route in advance to find the best way around them if you prefer.
Ideas for day trips
- Abu Dhabi. The capital of the UAE, and something of a wealthy, sprawling metropolis itself, Abu Dhabi is nonetheless a much more traditional experience of the Emirates than Dubai. Finding history takes much less scratching beneath the surface here, as exemplified by many impressive mosques, museums, and other landmarks.
- Hatta. Part of the Dubai Emirate, but situated some 90-minute drive to the east, the village of Hatta is one of the most interesting day trip destinations in the area. The village itself has heritage status, but its mountainous location near the border of Oman also makes it a prime place for adventure tourism like climbing and kayaking.
Most popular cars
The most hired car in Dubai is the Nissan Sunny, followed by the Nissan Micra and the Mitsubishi Attrage. The most popular car types are economy, mini, and standard.
Car Hire Prices in Dubai
- Convertibles - starting at £ 94 per day
- Large cars - starting at £ 16 per day
- Medium cars - starting at £ 16 per day
- People Carriers - starting at £ 33 per day
- Premium cars - starting at £ 55 per day
- Small cars - starting at £ 11 per day
- SUVs - starting at £ 16 per day
These are some good methods to save money on your car:
- Compare rates of different car providers
- Book your car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit during the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Dubai is the cheapest in November.
Top Cities near Dubai
Abu Dhabi Car Hire starting at £ 18.68 per day114.3 km / 71.0 miles away
Top 7 Destinations around Dubai
10.6 km / 6.6 miles away
Dubai Business Bay Car Hire starting at £ 15.68 per day11.4 km / 7.1 miles away
Dubai Al Quoz Car Hire starting at £ 15.49 per day17.8 km / 11.1 miles away
Dubai Atlantis The Palm Hotel Car Hire starting at £ 25.73 per day28.6 km / 17.8 miles away
35.6 km / 22.1 miles away
Abu Dhabi Airport Car Hire starting at £ 18.68 per day114.3 km / 71.0 miles away
Abu Dhabi Airport road Car Hire starting at £ 26.61 per day132.7 km / 82.5 miles away
Map of Car Hire Destinations
In which month is car hire in Dubai the most affordable?
This information can help you determine the low season. But note that these prices are only averages. The cost of your hire is determined by the type of car you select, the length of time you hire it for and how much in advance you book. Simply type in your dates in the form at the top of the page in order to find out the exact prices.
What is the usual period for which people keep their hire cars, on average, in Dubai?
What is the most favoured month for hiring a car in Dubai?
Car Hire Information
|Car hire locations||48|
|Popular suppliers||DRIVUS, Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, KTC GULF Rent A Car|
|Popular car categories||SUVs, Small cars, Large cars, Medium cars|
|Lowest price||£ 11 per day|
Most Popular Car Hire Models
|Thrifty||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|Alamo||Ford Figo||3||2||Small cars|
|KTC GULF Rent A Car||Chevrolet Captiva||5||2||SUVs|
|Dollar||Kia Picanto||4||1||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Nissan Micra||5||1||Small cars|
|Thrifty||Mazda 3||4||2||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.