Car Rental in Jordan
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Jordan?
Combining true Middle Eastern charm with an openness to the rest of the world, Jordan has become one of the main travel destinations in the region. Whether you travel there for the fascinating sites of Petra and Wadi Rum, the Red Sea beaches, or unique traditions and genuine hospitality, you’re not going to be disappointed.
Top ways to enter Jordan
Amman Queen Alia Airport: Jordan’s largest international airport is modern and well-connected, offering flights to many destinations in the Greater Middle East, Europe, and Asia.
Aqaba Airport: Located in the very southwest of the country, Aqaba Airport offers an entry point to the Red Sea.
By land: It might be possible to enter Jordan from Israel, although the border situation depends on the political climate in the region and can change quite rapidly so make sure to follow the latest updates. You cannot cross the border in a rental car. The nearest international airport is in Eilat.
Top cities and places to visit
- Amman. Home to four million people, Amman is not just the capital and the largest city of Jordan, it is also one of the most interesting metropolises of the Arab world. From landmarks like the Amman Citadel and Roman and Ottoman sites to delicious cuisine and fun, if somewhat crazy nightlife, this is one place that truly has something for everyone.
- Petra. Carved straight into the stone, the red city of Petra is one of the top tourist attractions in the Middle East. The crowds and the hassle can feel overwhelming, but no trip to the country will be full without seeing Petra’s monasteries, tombs, and facades, and rightly so - it’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
- Aqaba. Located in the very south of the country, the resort city of Aqaba is another popular tourist destination. There’s plenty of culture here, exemplified by landmarks such as the Aqaba Castle and City Heritage Museum, but the number one attraction of Aqaba is its Red Sea coastline and wonderful diving. Read more about the possibility to cross the border into neighboring Israel below.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Jordan is the Kia Picanto, but the Toyota Yaris and the Citroen C3 are also quite popular.
Driver's license requirements
- Jordan recognizes valid foreign driver’s licenses if you’re visiting on a short trip. If you’re living in the country permanently, you need to obtain a local license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin, non-Arabic alphabet (Cyrillic, Chinese, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car suppliers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car supplier and category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Jordan shares land borders with Israel, the Palestinian Authority, Syria, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. It is not possible to cross any of the land borders with a rental car. Travel to Iraq and Syria is strongly discouraged by most Western governments due to the ongoing military conflicts in these countries.
Many travelers choose to travel from the Jordanian city of Aqaba to the Israeli city of Eilat as the two are only about 15 km (9 miles) apart. While you cannot travel with a rental car, it is possible to drop off one rental in Jordan and pick up a new one after arriving in Israel. Do keep in mind, however, that each of the countries has its own visa policy, so find out in advance about the entry requirements for your nationality. Also, make sure to look up the latest border situation because while the border is normally open, it has experienced sporadic closures during the last decade.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular rental vehicle type in Jordan is economy, but fullsize and compact are also popular.
Top driving routes
- Wadi Rum. Located in the south of the country less than an hour’s drive from Aqaba, Wadi Rum, or the Valley of the Moon, is home to some truly otherworldly landscapes. A world heritage site, it is characterized by its canyons, rock formations, dunes, and the home of the Lawrence of Arabia. You can get to the entry point of the area with a rental car, but need to join a guided tour in a 4x4 from there.
- Azraq Wetland Reserve. Located in the east of the country about a 100-minute drive from Amman, Azraq is an oasis in the desert known for its marshy landscapes and rich variety of birds that migrate through the area. The wetlands are bordered by the Shaumari Wildlife Reserve where it’s possible to see locally threatened species like Somali ostrich and Arabian oryx. Azraq and Shaumari are notably less touristy than some of the aforementioned destinations, so visiting here takes some planning, but can nonetheless be a very memorable experience.
- Dead Sea. One of the lowest and the saltiest bodies of water on the planet, visiting the Dead Sea is another fascinating adventure that Jordan can offer (the country controls the sea’s eastern coast). Besides the sea itself, there are different attractions such as the Dead Sea Museum and Mujib Valley Reserve. Different parts of the coastline can be accessed by car from either Amman, Aqaba, or the center of the country.
Car Rental Prices
- Large cars - from $72 per day
- Medium cars - from $38 per day
- Vans - from $146 per day
- Premium cars - from $262 per day
- Small cars - from $33 per day
- SUVs - from $97 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Jordan:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Top 3 Most Popular Cities in Jordan
Car Rental in Amman from $22.02 per day
Car Rental in Aqaba from $21.95 per day
Car Rental in Irbid from $37.85 per day
Top 13 Most Popular Locations in Jordan
Car Rental at Amman International Airport Queen Alia from $22.02 per day
Car Rental at Amman Abdali Boulevard from $33.26 per day
Car Rental at Amman Rotana Hotel from $25.58 per day
Car Rental at Amman Hotel Intercontinental from $25.58 per day
Car Rental at Aqaba Airport from $21.95 per day
Car Rental at Amman Park Plaza from $33.26 per day
Car Rental at King Hussein Bridge from $31.33 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Jordan?
What’s the average rental length in Jordan?
What's the most popular time of year to rent a car in Jordan?
Car Rental Information
|Car rental locations||17|
|Popular suppliers||Arena Rent A Car, Auto Nation, Al Thuraya Car Rental, Dollar, Thrifty|
|Popular car categories||Small cars, Medium cars, SUVs, Large cars|
|Lowest price||$23 per day|
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Arena Rent A Car||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Dollar||Citroën C3||4||2||Small cars|
|Auto Nation||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Arena Rent A Car||Renault Logan||4||2||Medium cars|
|Arena Rent A Car||Chevrolet Spark||5||1||Small cars|
|Auto Nation||Renault Logan||4||2||Medium cars|
|Arena Rent A Car||Dacia Sandero Stepway||5||2||SUVs|
|Auto Nation||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Al Thuraya Car Rental||Kia Picanto||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Hyundai i10||5||1||Small cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental car. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.