Car Rental in Turkey
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Turkey?
Turkey is an amazing destination to explore by car. From stunning mountains to coasts of the Black Sea and the Mediterranean to great cities and distinct cultural regions, it is one of the most diverse countries on earth. Having your own ride will also give you the freedom to explore the countryside where the true Turkish hospitality (and some of the best traditional food) can be found.
If you want to know more about renting a car in Turkey, don't miss our complete guide.
Top ways to enter Turkey
- Istanbul Airport: Opened in 2019 when it replaced the Ataturk Airport, Istanbul Airport is one of the largest in the world. The main port of entry for foreign visitors, it serves flights to and from destinations all around the world. Istanbul is also served by the smaller Sabiha Gokcen Airport that is a hub for low-cost Pegasus Airlines.
- Antalya Airport: Serving the coastal city of the same name, Antalya Airport is the largest on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast as it offers flights by tens of airlines, including a number of charter and low-cost companies.
- Izmir Airport: Serving the metropolis of Izmir, Turkey’s third-largest city, Adnan Menderes Airport handles about 13 million passengers every year.
- Ankara Airport: With about 16 million travelers handled every year, Ankara Esenboğa Airport serves not just Turkey’s capital city, but also much of the central portion of the country.
Top cities and places to visit
- Istanbul. A border between two worlds, Istanbul is one of the most iconic cities on the planet. The city is rich in famous landmarks such as the Hagia Sophia and Ortaköy Mosque, but Istanbul’s number one attraction is its timeless atmosphere.
- Izmir. A large city in the southwestern part of the country, Izmir has long been known for its distinct culture, busy port life, and liberal atmosphere. The city is rich in attractions and also offers access to Turkey’s Aegean beaches.
- Mediterranean Coast. From Marmaris in the west to Iskenderun in the east, the Turkish Mediterranean is arguably the most popular tourist attraction in the country. The region is famous not just for its lavish resorts, but also for some of the best-preserved ancient sites in the region.
Most popular rental car
The most popular rental car in Turkey is the Hyundai i20, followed by the Ford Fiesta and the Opel Corsa.
Driver license requirements
- Turkey recognizes foreign driver’s licenses from around the world if they are valid and if you’re visiting on a trip that’s shorter than six months. If you’re in Turkey for longer than that period or reside there permanently, you need to acquire a local driver’s license instead.
- If your driver’s license is printed in a non-Latin alphabet (Cyrillic, Arabic, etc.), you’ll need an International Driving Permit (IDP).
- Similarly, if your driver’s license doesn’t show your photograph, you might be required to have an IDP.
- Even if you have an IDP, you need to also carry your original driver’s license as you might be asked to show both.
- You must carry your driver’s license, not a copy, with you at all times.
- You need to have had your driver’s license for at least two years.
- Some rental car providers charge a young driver fee for drivers between the ages of 22 and 25 and a senior driver fee for drivers over the age of 65.
- There may be additional requirements depending on the car provider and car category, so make sure to check the rental conditions before booking.
Turkey is bordered by Greece, Bulgaria, Georgia, Armenia, Azerbaijan (via its exclave Nakhchivan), Iran, Iraq, and Syria. The border with Armenia is closed and it is not possible to cross the border with Syria due to the ongoing conflict in that country. Most governments also advise against travel to Iraq.
Each of Turkey’s neighbors has its own visa policy. Depending on your citizenship, you may need a visa or may not even be permitted to cross the border. We strongly advise getting in touch with your Ministry of Foreign Affairs in advance to find out whether you can enter any specific country in the region. Generally speaking, Greece, Bulgaria, and Georgia are the most accessible neighbors of Turkey, but the ability to cross any specific border still depends on your citizenship and the visa policy of the specific country.
Even if you can visit a neighboring country, most car rental providers in Turkey do not permit crossing the border in a rental car. You can find the ones that do (e.g., between Thessaloniki or Sofia and Istanbul or between Trabzon and Georgia) by entering your car pick-up and drop-off locations in our website’s search.
Most popular types of rental car
The most popular car type in Turkey is Economy, followed by Compact and Mini.
Turkey is a mountainous country, so if you plan to drive outside large cities, some terrains might be challenging and picking a larger rental might be a good choice.
Top driving routes
- Black Sea Coast. Not as popular as the Mediterranean coast at the other end of the country, Turkey’s Black Sea shoreline is nonetheless a great place to visit. The temperatures are notably more moderate here, but summers are still lovely for swimming and suntanning. The region also harbors attractions like impressive coastal mountains, the beautiful city of Samsun and the impressive Sümela Monastery.
- Ankara. Turkey’s capital is not just the country’s political center, it is also a great place to visit as a traveler. Once inhabited by various ancient civilizations, it is rich in historical attractions and architecture. It is also the place where the various and distinct (but equally delicious) Turkish culinary styles are said to meet.
- Eastern Anatolia. A relatively remote region as it still gets very few foreign visitors, Eastern Anatolia is the right destination for travelers looking for an off-the-beaten-path destination. Attractions here include the famous Lake Van, the ancient Armenian capital of Ani that’s also called the city of 1001 churches, and the beautiful mosque of Battalgazi.
Car Rental Prices
- Station wagons - from $33 per day
- Large cars - from $51 per day
- Medium cars - from $29 per day
- People Carriers/Vans - from $58 per day
- Premium cars - from $105 per day
- Small cars - from $39 per day
- SUVs - from $50 per day
How can I save money on my rental car?
You can do a number of things to get a good car rental deal in Turkey:
- Compare rates
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
Top 15 Most Popular Cities in Turkey
Car Rental in Istanbul from $12.94 per day
Car Rental in Antalya from $9.69 per day
Car Rental in Ankara from $11.26 per day
Car Rental in Kayseri from $7.36 per day
Car Rental in Dalaman from $10.51 per day
Car Rental in Trabzon from $15.57 per day
Car Rental in Adana from $13.24 per day
Car Rental in Bodrum from $11.59 per day
Car Rental in Gazipasa from $23.35 per day
Car Rental in Nevsehir from $15.01 per day
Car Rental in Konya from $17.51 per day
Car Rental in Samsun from $12.51 per day
Car Rental in Marmaris from $10.61 per day
Top 20 Most Popular Locations in Turkey
Car Rental at Istanbul Sabiha Gokcen Airport from $10.51 per day
Car Rental at Istanbul Airport from $10.51 per day
Car Rental at Antalya Airport International Arrivals from $8.63 per day
Car Rental in Istanbul Taksim from $12.38 per day
Car Rental at Izmir Airport from $9.69 per day
Car Rental at Ankara Airport from $11.26 per day
Car Rental at Dalaman Airport from $10.51 per day
Car Rental at Kayseri International Airport from $7.36 per day
Car Rental at Trabzon Airport from $15.57 per day
Car Rental at Adana Airport from $13.24 per day
Car Rental at Gaziantep Airport from $13.24 per day
Car Rental at Bodrum Airport from $11.59 per day
Car Rental at Gazipasa Airport from $23.35 per day
Car Rental at Nevsehir Airport from $15.01 per day
Car Rental in Istanbul Yenibosna from $12.94 per day
Car Rental at Istanbul Kanyon Shopping mall from $15.20 per day
Car Rental in Istanbul Kadikoy from $21.85 per day
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Turkey?
What’s the average rental length in Turkey?
What’s the most popular time for renting a car in Turkey?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Pandora||Peugeot 301||5||1||Large cars|
|GreenMotion||Hyundai i20||4||2||Small cars|
|Goldcar||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
|Pandora||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|Pandora||Fiat Egea||5||1||Large cars|
|RightCars||Renault Clio||5||3||Small cars|
|Keddy||Renault Clio||4||2||Small cars|
|GreenMotion||Renault Clio||5||1||Small cars|
|Autounion||Citroen C3||5||1||Small cars|
|Surprice||Hyundai i20||4||1||Small cars|
Our Customers Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.