Car Rental in Madrid
Cheapest Car Rental Rates
Most Popular Car Rental Deals
Why rent a car in Madrid?
Madrid is a great place to visit by car. Historic and impressive yet cozy and hospitable, it has countless sites to visit and things to try. Being in the very center of Spain, Madrid also provides easy access to its unique cultural regions.
One-Way Car Rentals in Madrid
The most popular one-way rental options for pick up in Madrid and drop off in another city include:
- From Madrid to Barcelona - 310 offers from $15.42 per day
- From Madrid to Seville - 344 offers from $15.42 per day
- From Madrid to Malaga - 273 offers from $15.42 per day
- From Madrid to Valencia - 210 offers from $15.42 per day
- From Madrid to Alicante - 103 offers from $15.42 per day
Top ways to enter Madrid
- Madrid Barajas Airport: One of the busiest in Europe, Madrid Airport offers connections with most European countries, as well as many destinations in Africa, Asia, and the Americas (it is one of the main ports of entry on the continent for travelers arriving from Latin America). The airport is located about 22 km (13.7 miles) from the city center, the trip taking about 30 minutes in a car.
- Valladolid Airport: Although much smaller than Madrid Barajas and mainly active during the summer months, this cozy airport provides great connections with other destinations in Spain and is just two hours drive north of the capital.
- By rail: If you’re arriving in Madrid by train, you can conveniently pick up a rental car at Madrid Atocha Railway Station and Madrid Chamartin Railway Station.
- The main language of Madrid is, of course, Spanish. Many locals also speak English, especially those working in the service industry.
- Since Madrid is further away from the sea and at a higher elevation than other large Spanish cities like Barcelona or Valencia, the winters can be colder, with frost and snow sometimes occurring (although rain is rare). The summers can be very hot, and the weather is the mildest in autumn and spring.
- Madrid is made up of 21 districts that are further divided into barrios or wards.
Top destinations and activities
- The Prado Museum. One of the most famous ones in the world, Spain’s national art museum features works of Francisco Goya, El Greco, Hieronymus Bosch, Peter Paul Rubens, and many others. Museo del Prado is part of Madrid’s museum district and you’ll also find the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, the Reina Sofia Museum, and other museums here.
- Puerta del Sol. Sometimes referred to as the heart of Madrid, this plaza is the most active part of the capital city and has landmarks like the statue of the Bear and the Strawberry Tree and the famous clock tower of the Royal Post Office.
- Mercado de San Miguel. The famous indoor market is the best place to stack up on truly Spanish delicacies like dried ham and wine, as well as vegetables and fruits, and to experience the everyday atmosphere of Madrid.
- National Archaeological Museum. Inhabited by the Carthaginians, Celts, Romans, and Moors, Spain has a fascinatingly diverse history. One of the best places to explore it is the Archaeological Museum (also known by its Spanish acronym, MAN). Located on the central Serrano Street, it boasts plenty of fascinating artifacts such as the 2,400-year-old Lady of Elche. Visit the museum’s website to learn more about admission, exhibitions, and events during your visit.
Traffic and parking
- Speed limits - 50km/h (31mph) in built-up areas, 90km/h (56mph) on most standard roads, 100km/h (62mph) on standard roads that are either one-way roads, roads with more than two lanes for at least one direction of traffic and roads with shoulders more than 1.5m wide, and 120km/h (74mph) on motorways (called autovías in Spain).
- The car documentation and insurance always has to be inside a vehicle.
- The driver and all passengers are required to wear seatbelts.
- Children up to the age of 12 and measuring less than 135cm travelling on the front seat of a car must be seated in a child restraint system adapted to their size and weight.
- Unnecessary use of audible warning devices (horns) is prohibited.
- The legal alcohol limit is 0.05% for experienced drivers and 0.02% for novice drivers.
- The emergency number is 112.
Most of the roads inside the country are toll-free. Toll roads are called ‘carretera de peaje’. On maps and road signs, all toll roads have to include a letter P after the road type. The payment method may vary depending on the road, but most will accept cash. Regardless of the region, the average estimated price is €9.5 ($11.25) per 100km by car. See the official website for prices and more information.
Ideas for day trips
- Toledo. Spectacularly situated above the Tagus River, Toledo is full of history and can be experienced at a much slower pace than the capital. The steep, narrow side streets in the city are just as fun to explore as landmarks like the majestic Toledo Cathedral and Church of the Savior. The drive from Madrid takes about an hour.
- Cuenca Alta Manzanares Regional Park. Full of hiking trails, small lakes, and cliff boulders, this is one of the nicest (and also the most popular) nature areas near the capital. A place of a variety of flora and fauna, the park is a good place for spotting large birds like pilgrim hawks and griffon vultures. Located some 45 km (28 miles) northwest of Madrid, the park can be reached by car in about 40 minutes.
- Segovia. Another scenic town full of history, Segovia packs a lot of attractions for a place with a population of just over 50,000. The main highlights include the city’s spectacular Roman aqueduct that’s close to 2,000 years old, as well as Segovia Cathedral and the eclectic Alcázar (fortress). The drive from Madrid takes about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Most popular cars
The most popular rental car in Spain is the Ford Fiesta, followed by the Fiat 500 and the Ford Focus. The most popular car types are economy, compact and mini.
- Salamanca. Just a two-and-a-half-hour drive northwest of Madrid, Salamanca is one of the most notable renaissance cities in Europe. The city’s diverse architecture that includes masterpieces of Gothic, Baroque, Moorish, and other styles has led to it being declared a World Heritage Site. The city’s culinary riches are also most certainly not to be missed.
- Cuenca. Not to be confused with the aforementioned Cuenca Alta del Manzanares, this Cuenca is about an hour-and-40-minute drive east of Madrid. Located in the sparsely populated Castile-la-Mancha region, it is known for its spectacular location that’s best exemplified by the so-called casas colgadas, or hanging houses, built right on the edge of the cliff. Cuenca is also the location of the Spanish Museum of Abstract Art and has its own area of natural beauty, Serrania de Cuenca Nature Park.
- Andalusia. Unique in culture, cuisine, and mentality, this nearby region in Southern Spain has everything from long beaches along the Mediterranean to vast nature areas, majestic mountains, and some of the most culturally rich cities in all of Europe. One of these, the Northern Andalusian city of Cordoba, is about a four-hour drive southwest of the capital and can serve as a great first impression of the region.
Car Rental Prices in Madrid
- Convertibles - from $45 per day
- Station wagons - from $38 per day
- Large cars - from $45 per day
- Medium cars - from $33 per day
- Vans - from $97 per day
- Premium cars - from $55 per day
- Small cars - from $28 per day
- SUVs - from $60 per day
- There’s many things you can do to get a good rental car deal in the capital of Spain:
- Compare rates of different rental car providers
- Book your rental car well in advance
- Plan your route before you go
- Know your fuel and mileage requirements
- Visit on the month when the rental prices are the cheapest. According to our data, visiting Madrid is the cheapest in January when renting a car is about 23% cheaper than the yearly average.
Top 20 Cities near Madrid
Barcelona Car Rentals from $30.63 per day491.1 km / 305.1 miles away
Malaga Car Rentals from $25.24 per day421.7 km / 262.0 miles away
Alicante Car Rentals from $6.95 per day349.5 km / 217.2 miles away
397.7 km / 247.1 miles away
290.5 km / 180.5 miles away
Bilbao Car Rentals from $12.09 per day318.6 km / 198.0 miles away
Jerez Car Rentals from $8.18 per day465.0 km / 288.9 miles away
Granada Car Rentals from $25.36 per day362.9 km / 225.5 miles away
Santiago de Compostela Car Rentals from $53.94 per day496.9 km / 308.8 miles away
Zaragoza Car Rentals from $32.94 per day260.0 km / 161.5 miles away
558.8 km / 347.2 miles away
A Coruña Car Rentals from $16.56 per day517.6 km / 321.7 miles away
Santander Car Rentals from $21.58 per day337.2 km / 209.5 miles away
Vigo Car Rentals from $16.14 per day469.6 km / 291.8 miles away
Murcia Car Rentals from $33.34 per day342.2 km / 212.6 miles away
Asturias Car Rentals from $11.49 per day404.7 km / 251.5 miles away
Almeria Car Rentals from $11.04 per day411.6 km / 255.8 miles away
Oviedo Car Rentals from $12.94 per day378.4 km / 235.1 miles away
San Sebastian Car Rentals from $18.57 per day355.8 km / 221.1 miles away
Reus Car Rentals from $48.97 per day403.8 km / 250.9 miles away
Top 20 Locations near Madrid
Madrid Airport Car Rentals from $4.02 per day6.3 km / 3.9 miles away
Madrid Paracuellos de Jarama Car Rentals from $23.69 per day8.0 km / 5.0 miles away
Madrid Chamartin Train Station Car Rentals from $16.40 per day13.1 km / 8.1 miles away
Madrid Atocha Train Station Car Rentals from $5.62 per day13.4 km / 8.3 miles away
Burgos Train Station Car Rentals from $24.48 per day215.8 km / 134.1 miles away
Zamora Train Station Car Rentals from $24.63 per day220.7 km / 137.1 miles away
Tudela Railway Station Car Rentals from $24.68 per day242.9 km / 150.9 miles away
Zaragoza Train Station Car Rentals from $22.19 per day258.9 km / 160.9 miles away
Valencia Airport Car Rentals from $4.14 per day280.7 km / 174.4 miles away
Valencia Train Station Car Rentals from $6.12 per day289.9 km / 180.1 miles away
Pamplona Airport Car Rentals from $47.57 per day303.7 km / 188.7 miles away
Castellon Airport Car Rentals from $59.32 per day306.5 km / 190.5 miles away
Bilbao Barakaldo Car Rentals from $24.18 per day321.8 km / 199.9 miles away
Bilbao Airport Car Rentals from $3.87 per day323.1 km / 200.8 miles away
Santander Airport Car Rentals from $11.64 per day333.8 km / 207.4 miles away
Alicante Airport Car Rentals from $4.79 per day350.1 km / 217.5 miles away
Murcia Corvera Airport Car Rentals from $4.83 per day358.4 km / 222.7 miles away
Granada Train Station Car Rentals from $21.49 per day361.3 km / 224.5 miles away
Granada Airport Car Rentals from $13.01 per day361.4 km / 224.6 miles away
Seville Airport Car Rentals from $4.33 per day392.3 km / 243.8 miles away
Map of Car Rental Locations
Which is the cheapest month to rent a car in Madrid?
What’s the usual rental length in Madrid?
What's the most popular month to rent a car in Madrid?
Most Popular Car Models of Rental Suppliers
|Record-go||Opel Corsa||5||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500X||5||3||Medium cars|
|Record-go||Fiat 500||3||1||Small cars|
|Record-go||Toyota Corolla||5||2||Medium cars|
|Ok Mobility||Seat Ibiza||5||1||Small cars|
|Centauro||Toyota C-HR||4||3||Medium cars|
Our Customers' Reviews
Because we want to make sure each review listed here is left by a real customer, we don’t have an option to post a review here. Instead, we ask each and every customer to leave a review after they return their rental. This way, you know that all reviews are authentic, verified, and trustworthy.